• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Into the Ordinary

Uh Oh! I, too, am addicted to this saga. Now you HAVE TO publish!

I'm with Jason Z, you publish and I'll buy! Oh boy, 2 good stories in as many months...!

:wub:

Iris

GROWWWWWLLLLL!!

Uh Oh!  I, too, am addicted to this saga.  Now you HAVE TO publish!

I'm with Jason Z, you publish and I'll buy!  Oh boy, 2 good stories in as many months...!

Thanks for the addiction! :wink: I'll keep at it!

Here's a temporary fix for you - this is the first piece I ever wrote on eGullet.

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=93380

I'm with Jason Z, you publish and I'll buy!  Oh boy, 2 good stories in as many months...!

Here's a temporary fix for you - this is the first piece I ever wrote on eGullet.

OMG! How could I have missed this? It's hilarious! I can just imagine "the girls" kicking that poor little rooster's butt! :laugh: I know birds can be nasty little buggers having witnesses some duck on duck violence myself. Horrible! Just horrible!

Soooo, will you autograph my copy of your upcoming book? I can't wait to check out your other books too. I just love a good sense of humor... :raz:

Iris

GROWWWWWLLLLL!!

oh, I truly loved this piece--I don't know why I didn't read it before--I think the mention of Alice Waters put me off.

I'm thinking about the people hating the 60s and 70s business--I don't know--I had a great time --not as much fun as you were having, apparently--but I always think that when I read an account.

I was mostly in the country doing the Whole Earth thing--but i identified with the "let's put on a show" ethic. We all thought anything was possible.

If you are going to write about the evolution of your life in food, you MUST start at the beginning.

An important part of that era was the rejection of everything that is corporate and packaged. That feeling grew into all the different things people are doing now--growing heirloom vegetables and fruits, raising meat animals, making cheese, sponsoring farmer's markets, making breads, beers, wines, opening small personal restaurants, in my case making hand-made soaps and body care products--all of this ferment didn't just happen one day in 1990--

it started somewhere--and it's important to write about it, and interesting to read about it in my opinion, anyway!

Zoe

OMG! How could I have missed this? It's hilarious! I can just imagine "the girls" kicking that poor little rooster's butt! :laugh: I know birds can be nasty little buggers having witnesses some duck on duck violence myself. Horrible! Just horrible!

Soooo, will you autograph my copy of your upcoming book? I can't wait to check out your other books too. I just love a good sense of humor... :raz:

I'll tell you this the very first place I'll sign the book will be New Jersey! I seem to have struck a chord with some of you there.

I lived in new York a while and have limited experience with Jersey. Most of my experience taking there the form of basic training for Vietnam at Ft. Dix. In fact, much of the next piece I have slated for eGullet takes place there. :wink:

oh, I truly loved this piece--I don't know why I didn't read it before--I think the mention of Alice Waters put me off. 

I'm thinking about the people hating the 60s and 70s business--I don't know--I had a great time --not as much fun as you were having, apparently--but I always think that when I read an account.

I was mostly in the country doing the Whole Earth thing--but i identified with the "let's put on a show" ethic.  We all thought anything was possible.

If you are going to write about the evolution of your life in food, you MUST start at the beginning.

An important part of that era was the rejection of everything that is corporate and packaged.  That feeling grew into all the different things people are doing now--growing heirloom vegetables and fruits, raising meat animals, making cheese, sponsoring farmer's markets, making breads, beers, wines, opening small personal restaurants, in my case making hand-made soaps and body care products--all of this ferment didn't just happen one day in 1990--

it started somewhere--and it's important to write about it, and interesting to read about it in my opinion, anyway!

Zoe

Thanks, Zoe. I was definitely one of those who rejected everything packaged and corporate. And then I did all those years in the city in Memphis. And now I've come full circle. I'm living in rural Oregon - right in the middle of wine country. Go to wineries every weekend. Organic garden, all locally raised lamb, beef and pigs. I love it!

This weekend I am judging a Texas Longhorn (raised here locally) chili contest.

A fascinating read.  More please?

Why, thank you kindly, Ma'am. :wink:

Did you see the pieces leading up to this one?

Here they are, chronologically:

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=94110

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=96274

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=98382

And Maggie and Dave have one more piece that I've submitted for publication here, but I have no idea when it will make an appearance.

I can hardly wait to hear about The Ordinary, please, please, proceed! The bar, the (loaded) cooks and owner.....let's hear about the customers and what happened. You really are playing with us, keeping us waiting for this.

You are very clever and entertaining, but I am still waiting. I think we all are looking forward to your book, but for now.....please! tell us more!

Thanks.....

I can hardly wait to hear about The Ordinary, please, please, proceed!  The bar, the (loaded) cooks and owner.....let's hear about the customers and what happened.  You really are playing with us, keeping us waiting for this.

You are very clever and entertaining, but I am still waiting.  I think we all are looking forward to your book, but for now.....please! tell us more!

Thanks.....

I'm not really toying with you intentionally. :wink: Did you see the three previous pieces I alluded to (and linked to) in my above response to Melianne? They are rife with Ordinary stuff.

And the only other piece I have in the can here is about my year in Vietnam.

• 1 year later...