• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best Italian Beef in Chicago

awbrig

The best known in Chicago are Al's Number 1 Italian Beef, Mr. Beef & Portillos's. You cant go wrong w these three..but Ill have to check out Carms...

I like Mr. Beef and Al's is pretty good, but for me, the quintessential beef can be had all over town, if you look for two sings in the window. The first one is Scala's italian beef. It's the best, hands-down, and any number of places carry it.

My local is Luke's in Lake Bluff, but there's also a Luke's in Mundelein, and one downtown on Jackson.

The second magic ingredient is Gonella bread. It's baked locally, delivered daily, and always has a good, chewy inside and a nice crust that holds up well to the dip that makes "wet" the best way to order your beef.

The best known in Chicago are  Al's Number 1 Italian Beef, Mr. Beef & Portillos's.  You cant go wrong w these three..but Ill have to check out Carms...

I like Mr. Beef and Al's is pretty good, but for me, the quintessential beef can be had all over town, if you look for two sings in the window. The first one is Scala's italian beef. It's the best, hands-down, and any number of places carry it.

My local is Luke's in Lake Bluff, but there's also a Luke's in Mundelein, and one downtown on Jackson.

The second magic ingredient is Gonella bread. It's baked locally, delivered daily, and always has a good, chewy inside and a nice crust that holds up well to the dip that makes "wet" the best way to order your beef.

Damn Mark, I thought it was all about the gardeniera :biggrin:

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

• 4 months later...

Dude, this thread makes me want to cry! I'm reading this forum because I'm feeling homesick. I live in Baltimore, now, and people out here just do NOT understand. They look at me so strangely when I tell them I'm looking for an Italian Beef sandwich. There are NONE to be found here! Everything has freaking crab on it. All the people say, "but we have crabcake sandwiches!" and I say, "So what! Your crab isn't even from Maryland anymore, and my beef was raised my backyard!"

Well, plus the fact that I'm allergic to shellfish, so that doesn't help. But man, I miss me some Italian Beef! My mom used to make it when she made roast beef for dinner. She'd make roast beef one day, and Italian beef with the rest of the roast the next day. You gotta do it in a dutch oven or a crockpot. Over several hours. Keep adding spices and more water. Makes such yummy beefy juice. I made it for a Christmas party and some of the men there proposed marriage. And they were already married. And I said, "I told you, you stupid Baltimorians. You don't know food. Italian Beef is where it's at!"

Maybe I'll order some Portillos. I forgot they ship it. Too bad Mr. Beef doesn't ship out of state. :sad:

BTW, I like mine a little on the dry side, plain. Nothing on top. But I'm a Scandi, and I'm only slowly adding spice to my diet.

"First rule in roadside beet sales, put the most attractive beets on top. The ones that make you pull the car over and go 'wow, I need this beet right now'. Those are the money beets." Dwight Schrute, The Office, Season 3, Product Recall

• 7 months later...

Had a couple different beefs lately:

Had an Italian Beef sandwich at Ricobene’s (various locations). Lots of GARLIC and GARLIC. Slivers of garlic and the beef were put on a greasy garlic bun. I LOVE garlic but it was way too much, so thumbs down on the Italian beef at Ricobene’s. Tried the beef on its own and it was a bit tough.

I've been a little down on Al's (Taylor Street) lately because q.c. has been inconsistent and their prices seem to go up regularly, but I had it last week and thought it was better than it had been in a long time.

I had not been to Al's in a LONG time and had the same experience. Have to say that Johnnie's beef I like better due the spicing of the beef, but the hot giardinara at Al's is unique, good and unlike anywhere else so it is a very good beef IMO.

"I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be"

I used to live two blocks from Al's, and it was a decent sandwich --not Mr. Beef, os even Patio--- further down Taylor. ( I was also charmed by the sidearms the employees wear in the summertime.)

But I haven't tasted the authentic Al's for ages. I remember it as a very good, meaty-tasting sandwich. It's time to plan a Heartland Beef Sandwich run.

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

ok so i finally ate one of these a couple months ago and i really like them. the place i went to is called teddy's red hots and it's in darien i think or maybe downers.

i will have to eat at johnnies before we move because i've heard it mentioned by several in the community here.

i like it with sweet and hot peppers, beef/sausage combo!!

I like the Italian Beef at Mr. Beef when I'm in Chicago.

But, having grown up in Buffalo, I like beef on weck a lot more. I think that the giardinara would be good on a beef on weck. I like the salt and caraway seeds on the kummelweck rolls, and the whole thing is less apt to fall apart while you're trying to eat it.

"Leave the gun. Take the cannoli."

I like the Italian Beef at Mr. Beef when I'm in Chicago.

But, having grown up in Buffalo, I like beef on weck a lot more. I think that the giardinara would be good on a beef on weck.  I like the salt and caraway seeds on the kummelweck rolls, and the whole thing is less apt to fall apart while you're trying to eat it.

Just yesterday I was discussing with some friends my belief that the bread is possibly the most critical factor in how well "regional" sandwiches play outside of their original regions. Sandwiches like the philly cheesesteak, muffaletta and even the "eye"-talian beef all seem to get lost in region to region translation because the original bread, the vehicle on which the sandwich was conceived, is not available.

On that basis, regarding your weck theory, I respectfully disagree. Give me italian beef on gonella or give me death! :raz::biggrin:

=R=

I remember this thread.

I also cannot believe no one mentioned two places very close to where I live.

Susie's and Roma's. Actually the Beef Sandwiches are the best thing going for both

locations. Susie's has their own gardiniere , with kidney beans and corn.

And Roma's is so authentic - basic good Italian Beef. I believe both use Gonnella

bread. Give them a try - curious what you all may think.

Susie's on Montrose and Keeler. just East of the Kennedy. Looks like a shack, open 24 hours. And Roma's on Cicero just between 6 corners ( Sears ) and Montrose.

Across from the IHOP, limited times but worth it.

• 1 year later...
ok, so if i've already been to Al's Italian Beef, should i go to Mr. Beef next, having never been?  or should i just go back to Al's Italian Beef.  i'm only in town once or twice a year, so this is very, very important.  thoughts?  thanks.

Mr. Beef next, although if you have the time, Johnnie's in Elmwood Park is King.

=R=

ok, so if i've already been to Al's Italian Beef, should i go to Mr. Beef next, having never been?  or should i just go back to Al's Italian Beef.  i'm only in town once or twice a year, so this is very, very important.  thoughts?  thanks.

While I generally agree with Ronnie, I'd place Mr. Beef as king with Johnnie's as a close number two. The difference, in my opinion, is more noticable if you order the sandwich extra juicy. Mr. Beef may use a bit more aromatic spice (oregano?) in its gravy.

While I generally agree with Ronnie, I'd place Mr. Beef as king with Johnnie's as a close number two. The difference, in my opinion, is more noticable if you order the sandwich extra juicy. Mr. Beef may use a bit more aromatic spice (oregano?) in its gravy.

I really think it depends on the day you go there. I generally love Mr. Beef but the last 2 times I was there the sandwiches were a bit dry. What I love about Johnnie's, aside from the great sandwiches, is their excellent gardeniera.

=R=

While I generally agree with Ronnie, I'd place Mr. Beef as king with Johnnie's as a close number two.  The difference, in my opinion, is more noticable if you order the sandwich extra juicy.  Mr. Beef may use a bit more aromatic spice (oregano?) in its gravy.

A little history on my Italian Beef eating history, after being introduced to Mr. Beef at the age of 13 that had soley been my beef of choice for the next 20-22 years. A few years ago, I had my first Johnnie's with friends that had grown up in the area (as a city boy, I had never had the pleasure). I feel that the "aus jus" at Johnnie's has more tang to it and they go the extra mile slicing the sweet peppers rather than Mr. Beef that serves a chunk. Do not get me wrong, I still love Mr. Beef, but I would rate Johnnie's a neck in front. Mr. Suburban has thrown Al's in the mix and in the very near future we shall see who rates the best :raz: . (loser pays for the beefs-Ronnie S)

Molto E

Eliot Wexler aka "Molto E"

MoltoE@restaurantnoca.com

some much beef. so little time.

but let me axe this: in NYC, where i'm sometimes from, we can go just about anywhere in a cab, and then get back in another cab to go home. now, i know chicago has cabs, and i'm sure i'll be able to get one at the hotel, but then how does one orchestrate the trip from say Johnnies, over to Al's, and then to Jim's Original, and then back to the hotel? i recall that Moto called one for us during our last visit, but i don't know if the nice folks at Jim's would. are they radio dispatched where i can call myself?

The cab from downtown hotel x to Johnny's and back should probably be something you pre-arrange with the cab company or concierge at the hotel at which you're staying. That trip is about 14 miles each way.

The 'Al's - Mr. Beef - Jim's Original' loop could easily be negotiated with any local cab driver as they are all within a few miles of each other.

Here is some addy info:

Johnny's Beef

7500 W. North Avenue (at Harlem Ave)

Elmwood Park, IL 60707

708 452-6000

Al's Italian Beef (original location)

1079 W Taylor St

Chicago, IL 60607

312 226-4017

Mr. Beef

666 N Orleans St

Chicago, IL 60610

312 337-8500

Jim's Original Hot Dog Stand

700 W O Brien St (at the Dan Ryan Expy)

Chicago, IL 60607

312 733-7820

. . . and if all else fails, you can always call a friend for a ride :wink:

=R=

The cab from downtown hotel x to Johnny's and back should probably be something you pre-arrange with the cab company or concierge at the hotel at which you're staying.  That trip is about 14 miles each way.

The 'Al's - Mr. Beef - Jim's Original' loop could easily be negotiated with any local cab driver as they are all within a few miles of each other.

Here is some addy info:

Johnny's Beef

7500 W. North Avenue (at Harlem Ave)

Elmwood Park, IL 60707

708 452-6000

Al's Italian Beef (original location)

1079 W Taylor St

Chicago, IL 60607

312 226-4017

Mr. Beef

666 N Orleans St

Chicago, IL 60610

312 337-8500

Jim's Original Hot Dog Stand

700 W O Brien St (at the Dan Ryan Expy)

Chicago, IL 60607

312 733-7820

. . . and if all else fails, you can always call a friend for a ride :wink:

=R=

There's also an Al's virtually around the corner from Mr. Beef at Ontario and Franklin.

There's also an Al's virtually around the corner from Mr. Beef at Ontario and Franklin.

It may just be my persnicketiness but I don't go to that location unless it's absolutely unavoidable. I greatly prefer their original location.

=R=

It may just be my persnicketiness but I don't go to that location unless it's absolutely unavoidable. I greatly prefer their original location.

=R=

It's not my favorite location, either. I only mentioned it because of it's proximity to Mr. Beef. But then, if one is engaged in the search for the Best of the Beef (what Calvin Trillin called "pure research") then I think the original on Taylor Street should be the proper venue.

Inspired somewhat :wink: by this thread, the family and I decided to make a trek down to Johnnie's today . . .

gallery_3085_250_158364.jpg

Combo, juicy with sweet peppers and easy hot peppers.

The sandwich was really good but not as good as I remember it being the last time I was there. In fact, I have to say that the last sandwich I had at Al's on Taylor was superior to this one -- as were the fries. Johnnie's fries are fairly soulless and the bizarro-brand diet cola was one of the 5 worst I've ever had. Still, the sandwich was very, very good.

=R=

Ronnie S,

Very nice shot of the "Combo" and you have thrown the gauntlet down-Al's Beef-Taylor street location, time for a revisit.

Molto E

Please count me in. I've never made it to a Gulleteer event, but this is beef we're talkin' about.

i'm glad to see some movement on this thread, 'cause i'm really into the beef.

one question for everyone: should i go just "beef", or should i go "combo". my first (and only) chicago beef experience is somewhat mentioned here. and if IRC, it was "wet, hot" and a combo, with the combo bit meaning beef AND sausage if i recall and understand correctly. should i go, for my next trip, for just beef (no sausage)? i guess the correct answer is that i should do everything on the menu if i have a few folks with me, but i'm wondering what the truest expression of the chicago beef sandwich might be. thoughts?

ain't no place better than chicago, BTW. :smile:

Edited by tommy (log)

Tommy,

I would order both, because when you order a combo- the sausage has to be factored in (spicy or not, properly cooked etc.). I order my Beef-juicy, sweet and hot. If the point is to get a gauge on the beef, order both and eat the beef first so your palate is not tainted by the sausage. You do not need multiple people to order both, just do not order fries (if you dare).

Molto E

p

Eliot Wexler aka "Molto E"

MoltoE@restaurantnoca.com

Nothin' gets me more fired up for spring/summer than driving up to Johnnie's and smelling the smoke from the sausages grilling over real charcoal. Gimme a double sausage with sweet and hot - I'll add a bit of (gasp!) ketchup - and a large ice. And then a nice afternoon nap.