• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Close to I-5 in Seattle area

We're going to Vancouver next week (yeah!) and I'm planning a fairly food-oriented agenda. We'll be driving back to Eugene on Monday, and will be in the Seattle area around lunch time.

Any suggestions for a good lunch, close to I-5?

Life is short. Eat the roasted cauliflower first.

I'll second the Green Leaf idea. Though since I-5 cuts right throught the center of the city and passes along downtown, you have tons of options. If there's a certain cuisine you wanted, we could probably think of something not too far from the interstate.

Thanks! It looks like we'll be able to take both of your suggestions: Baguette Box on the way north, then Green Leaf on Monday on the way home.

Looking forward to both!

Life is short. Eat the roasted cauliflower first.

Thanks!  It looks like we'll be able to take both of your suggestions:  Baguette Box on the way north, then Green Leaf on Monday on the way home.

Looking forward to both!

I recommend the red wine pulled pork sandwich @ Baguette Box BTW.

If you're going to be heading up on a Tues, Wed, Thurs, or Friday, I strongly reccomend going to Salumi over Baguette Box. I did a similar trip a few weeks ago (Eugene to Vancouver and back) and stopped at Salumi on Friday on my way up, and at Baguette Box on Monday on my way back (both places are less than 5 minutes off I-5). In my opinion, there is no comparison between the two. Baguette Box was ok, but Salumi was truly amazing. If you go, get the porchetta sandwich (roasted sausage-stuffed pork) - I think it was the best sandwich I've ever had (I ordered it with provolone and peppers and onions + their great spreads). We left Eugene early Friday morning - around 6:30 a.m. - in order to get to Salumi before it opened at 11. It gets pretty crowded shortly after it opens, and stays that way through the lunch hour. It's open Tues-Fri, 11-4. Another place I'd recommend over Baguette Box, but which isn't as close to I-5, is Paseo on Fremont Street. Their roasted pork sandwich might be my second favorite sandwich in the world (the one that used to be called the Midnight Cuban, but now they call a different sandwich by that name, and it's just called Roasted Pork, or something like that). For me, it would be well worth the detour. I think it might be closed on Monday, though. Enjoy your trip!

• 2 months later...

Is Baguette Box an ok place to grab a quick dinner? Or is it not filling enough?

Coming from Vancouver and going to a Mariners game tomorrow, hoping to get an ok dinner before the 7PM game time.

Is Baguette Box an ok place to grab a quick dinner?  Or is it not filling enough?

Coming from Vancouver and going to a Mariners game tomorrow, hoping to get an ok dinner before the 7PM game time.

I think the sandwiches are quite filling. Too filling! They also have good fries so you can always have those if you're hungry enough.

Practice Random Acts of Toasting