• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Mercat -- Any reports?

knews9

Mercat

45 Bond St., New York, NY 10012

nr. Lafayette St.

212-529-8600

Here's a profile from NYMag.

and here are impressions from Restaurant girl.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

Mercat

nr. Lafayette St.

212-529-8600

I think its a little rude of RG to review a restaurant on its first night. Personally, I think there should be a moritorium on reviewing any new restaurant for at least 3 weeks after they open. Give the place a chance. I read her review as negative and changed my mind on going until I reread it and got that it was opening night. Then I changed my opinion of RG.

Mercat

nr. Lafayette St.

212-529-8600

I think its a little rude of RG to review a restaurant on its first night. Personally, I think there should be a moritorium on reviewing any new restaurant for at least 3 weeks after they open.

Three weeks, phooey. Three months or better yet a year.

You shouldn't eat grouse and woodcock, venison, a quail and dove pate, abalone and oysters, caviar, calf sweetbreads, kidneys, liver, and ducks all during the same week with several cases of wine. That's a health tip.

Jim Harrison from "Off to the Side"

1. the "review" was quite positive. did we read the same one?

2. RG is invited and comped by restaurants. it is her "job" to write up their opening nights. I don't know if she was specifically invited by Mercat...but it seems quite likely since that is her modus operandi.

Edited by Nathan (log)

I think its a little rude of RG to review a restaurant on its first night.  Personally, I think there should be a moritorium on reviewing any new restaurant for at least 3 weeks after they open.

Three weeks, phooey. Three months or better yet a year.

I responded on the Bruni & Beyond thread.

1.  the "review" was quite positive.  did we read the same one?

2.  RG is invited and comped by restaurants.  it is her "job" to write up their opening nights.  I don't know if she was specifically invited by Mercat...but it seems quite likely since that is her modus operandi.

I also read that review as positive. She found fault in a fisherman's stew and one dessert item but appeared to be very favorable about everything else. That's not bad for a place that's been open for awhile but surprisingly good for a place that's on its first night. But I also found the complete omission of any comments on the service (good, bad or indifferent) to be a bit suspicious.

someone like RG gets attention - and hence site traffic & advertising - exactly for going in early and being first to report. i'd never consider it a review, after all it is a personal impression by someone who is usually known to the house. she's definitely not hiding her identity, has her photograph on her blog and has been in video bits on restaurants on lx.tv - chatting with the owners and management

it's fine to report news and that's what it should be. but slapping a rating based on a one-time visit on a first night? NOT a review.

re: Mercat - pretty space, terribly loud and noisy, eager but not yet polished service. pricey wine list. the food? a little undewhelming. good razor clams, padrones and snail skewers, bland baccala fritters, unexciting salumi.

the bar is already a scene.

Alcohol is a misunderstood vitamin.

P.G. Wodehouse

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Ate at the bar last night with a friend. Very enjoyable evening - the place has a great upbeat vibe (Amy Winehouse always helps things) and some solid food. Loved the salty padrones peppers and really was pleased with the cod fritters (lots of cod, not overly breaded). We inhaled the spicy patatas bravas. Marinated/seared tuna was delicious, topped with a tangy mass of peppers and onions. Our bartender, Felix, was attentive and sweet. I don't know that Mercat is groundbreaking in any way, but it's definitely a fun spot for a glass of wine (or in my case, several glasses of rose cava) and some tapas.

• 8 months later...

Went to Mercat last night and had an awesome time.. I was with a party of 20 or 30 people downstairs.. They just brought out a parade of tapas and everything was really good..

I love the space very dark and chill.. The best potato bravas I have ever had.. Better then any version I had in Spain.. Really good fried peppers but overall it was one of the best group parties I have been to in Manhattan..

I was so impressed with this place from food to service and vibe.. If anyone is looking for a place to go with a group, I would highly recommend this place..

Edited by Daniel (log)

Has anyone heard anything about the upcoming guest chefs from Spain? I read about it here:

http://www.foodandwine.com/blogs/mouthing-...n-New-York-City

but can't find anything else. Of course I've been too lazy to actually call, but I did make a res on opentable for next week to check it out. I figure I won't be disappointed if it's the regular menu since I've been meaning to try the place anyway.

SushiSamba had one of their chefs who had trained at el bulli do a few special menus a couple months back I went to and it was fun.

Ed aka Wordsmithing Pantagruel

Food, Cocktails, Travels, and miscellany on my blog:

http://www.wordsmithingpantagruel.com/