• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Porky Books

Just recieved two fabulous books for all pork fanatics

Au Pied de Cochon (only took 5 months from USA)

and Pork and Sons by Stephane Reynaud.

I think Au Pied de Cochon has already been covered, but Pork and Sons is just great- can't wait for our next pig delivery so that I can get to eat some of the dishes- there's nothing new, but the photography and layout of the book ( and the great piggy illustartions and cartoons) along with the introduction of all the butchers, pig men etc is inspirational!

The pigs are only a few weeks old yet though, so I'll have to wait a bit!!

http://www.allium.uk.net

http://alliumfood.wordpress.com/ the alliumfood blog

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming - Whey hey what a ride!!!, "

Sarah Poli, Firenze, Kibworth Beauchamp

Had a quick gander through Pork & Sons in Waterstones the other day. Had to get them to unwrap it for me cos all the copies on the shelves seem to be shrinkwrapped, which seems to be an absolutely suicidal way of trying to sell a book retail, IMHO.

Looked OK but not overwhelming. As noted the recipes didn't look that different from stuff I've seen before. Presentation good (interesting that it was published by Phaidon who do lots of art books, but I haven't seen as many cookbooks before) but I got the feeling of "style over substance".

Haven't seen the Pied de Cochon book yet, but it sounds interesting.

Inveterate UK cookbook lovers should also note that that Marcus Wareing's first book is out any day now (my mum said Waterstones had it on the shelves last week). That'll be interesting; a lot will depend on what levels its pitched at (and I do think Dorling Kindersley are the publishers), but if his previous work in The Cook's Book (also DK) is anything to go for, it should be worth a look

ta

J

More Cookbooks than Sense - my new Cookbook blog!

Just recieved two fabulous books for all pork fanatics

Au Pied de Cochon (only took 5 months from USA)

and Pork and Sons by Stephane Reynaud.

I think Au Pied de Cochon has already been covered, but Pork and Sons is just great- can't wait for our next pig delivery so that I can get to eat some of the dishes- there's nothing new, but the photography and layout of the book ( and the great piggy illustartions and cartoons) along with the introduction of all the butchers, pig men etc is inspirational!

The pigs are only a few weeks old yet though, so I'll have to wait a bit!!

You're a better man than I am Erica, :smile: gave up on the Au Pied de Cochon online after shredding my hair for a few hours and have asked a friend to get it for me...can't wait, but I will have to :smile::smile:

edited to add, do you ever use the piglets Spanish style (v. young??) probably a stupid question but are there laws regarding the minimum age for eating here? Also thinking about teeny tiny lambs.

Edited by insomniac (log)

Not overly impressed with the Marcus Wareing book as it's at a very low "Gordon Ramsay Makes it Easy" level, rather than an "early-Gordon Ramsay" level. Sorry to use GR as the benchmark, but the books are pretty close.

I found this fab little Canadian bookshop online that got Pied Au Cochon to me in about 4 days - and it was just before Xmas too, will dig out there name!

If a man makes a statement and a woman is not around to witness it, is he still wrong?

Not overly impressed with the Marcus Wareing book as it's at a very low "Gordon Ramsay Makes it Easy" level, rather than an "early-Gordon Ramsay" level. Sorry to use GR as the benchmark, but the books are pretty close.

Right finally had a look through in Waterstones. Agree, bit too dumbed down for me, but probably right for the superstar housewives that are clearly the high volume end of the market. All in all a bit too "Dorling Kindersley" haha.

Wld say that some of the how to make it perfect tips looked useful, though.

All in all an undistinguished literary debut (did he have an ammuensis? forgot to check but I assume so). Interesting though that having spent, what, five years driving like a monomaniac running and opening haute joints and gunning for the **, his first book its pitched at such a different level.

J

More Cookbooks than Sense - my new Cookbook blog!

You're a better man than I am Erica,  :smile: gave up on the Au Pied de Cochon online after shredding my hair for a few hours and have asked a friend to get it for me...can't wait, but I will have to :smile:  :smile:

edited to add, do you ever use the piglets Spanish style (v. young??) probably a stupid question but are there laws regarding the minimum age for eating here? Also thinking about teeny tiny lambs.

I got a friend in New York to get me the Pied de Cochon!

And yes, we do get the suckling pigs very small, through to using full size porkers, depending on our plans for them!

Teeny milk fed lambs, yes, although we tend to focus more on the hoggit and mutton! But there were a few lambs available this Easter that would have been suitable, we just didn't have the time or fridge space to take them.

Edited by erica graham (log)

http://www.allium.uk.net

http://alliumfood.wordpress.com/ the alliumfood blog

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming - Whey hey what a ride!!!, "

Sarah Poli, Firenze, Kibworth Beauchamp