• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

hoboken restaurant for a low-key bridal shower

athena

hi! i'm new. :-)

i was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for an affordable but nice restaurant in hoboken that can host a low-key bridal shower (i.e., no games or squealy present opening) for about 18-20 people.

my sister is the bride and she lives in queens. most of the guests will be coming from nyc. i live in belleville, and i think this might be a good compromise so i don't go crazy. i hope.

any advice would be appreciated.

athena :-)

As Tommy suggests, Amandas is a good choice. Adult, refined, solid food, very nice service. I believe they have a private room downstairs and it's a fairly sizable restaurant that could easily accomodate you.

Anthony David's might be another could alternative. With 18-20, you might be able to fill the entire back room. Food is great, and as it's BYOB, could save you some $$ on the party.

If you're crowd is more culinarily adventurous, would definitely recommend trying Cucharamama, although they are less set up for a large group. Food is outstanding upscale South American, cool, fun atmosphere. Only hitch would be how they would accomodate a big group (maybe give you the front of the restaurant by the bar...)

I have to enthusiastically second the recommendation for Anthony David's. Their back room is very cozy and the food is really good. If at all possible, you should schedule the party for Tuesday through Thursday (or is it Monday through Thursday?), when they offer a tasting menu for $35. It's one of the best dining deals around.

I too love Cucharamama. It's worth looking into if you want very creative, unique food.

A third suggestion is Lua. I have never been there, but have heard good things about the food, although I think the fun, festive atmosphere may be the real draw there. Also, its easily accessible (almost within spitting distance) from the ferry, which might be a fun way for the bride to arrive, if the weather is nice.

http://www.luarestaurant.com/

http://www.anthonydavids.com/

Prefacing this by saying that the food won't be as good as the Hoboken recs listed above, you might also think about the restaurants at Lincoln Harbor, where there is also a ferry--easy for folks from NYC. Iirc, there's a Chart House, a Ruth's Chris, and...and...what's the new place in the hotel? Harbor Brasserie, maybe? I was in a private room in the former restaurant there, and while I don't remember the food, I do remember that the view was spectacular. Add to the mix Arthur's Landing (a bit further up the water but still in Weehawken, also with a ferry stop) as well...

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

the Lincoln Harbor ferry, if i'm not mistaken, is semi-private, and not open to the public. perhaps there is a way to use it if you're going to one of the restaurants there, however.

there are ferrys from NYC to both uptown hoboken and downtown hoboken iirc. so there's no real advantage to chosing lincoln harbor (or port imperial for that matter) based on convenience.

that room in the hotel restaurant (sheraton in weekhawken?) is quite appropriate, with a great view. the view at Arthur's Landing is also unbeatable. had a very very mediocre meal here recently, however. not that food is all that important for something like this.

and good God don't ever eat at the Chart House. :smile:

bottom line is that the food at those restaurants isn't all that good, however the view is better pretty much across the board.

http://www.nywaterway.com

Didn't know that about the Lincoln Harbor ferry, so that show you how long it has been since I've used it over there! As I said, I do remember that great view, though...and that might be of interest since there won't be any bad baby shower games or the never-ending present opening! :smile:

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

the view at Arthur's Landing is also unbeatable.  had a very very mediocre meal here recently,

Dissapointing to hear that. Remember reading recently that they had heard changed chefs and revamped the menu -- and reports had been good... Would be nice to have one of the places with a view that had strong food.

the view at Arthur's Landing is also unbeatable.  had a very very mediocre meal here recently,

Dissapointing to hear that. Remember reading recently that they had heard changed chefs and revamped the menu -- and reports had been good... Would be nice to have one of the places with a view that had strong food.

i'd also read several positive reviews from sources of varying quality. my recent meal, however, was just not good. food was too sweet, too sour, not interesting, suffered from gratuitous garnish, wine served too warm, etc. the view though. oh my, that view.

it's upscale jersey food. doesn't seem to hold a candle to mid-level NYC places food-wise. the menu reads well. try it yourself. it's worth a splurge just once, and you can decide on your own.

i am actually looking forward to returning for their great wine deal on Tuesday nights at the bar. seems like the kind of place where you can get great value out of bar dining. however, sitting at at table and ordering a 90 dollar bottle of wine and a couple of drinks can quickly put you in the 200 dollar range.

i am actually looking forward to returning for their great wine deal on Tuesday nights at the bar.  seems like the kind of place where you can get great value out of bar dining.  however, sitting at at table and ordering a 90 dollar bottle of wine and a couple of drinks can quickly put you in the 200 dollar range.

Apologize for taking us off topic, but what's the Tuesday night wine deal? Big fan of bar dining (we ate at the bar at Cucharamama this past Tuesday -- Tommy, if you haven't done that, I recommend it highly. Works great with there menu -- we did a bunch of apps as Tapas and shared a main... YUM!)

thanks for all your replies!

i've been to the chart house recently for a small function, and while i thought the food was good/ok (not spectacular, not bad), it's really not this group's scene. they do appreciate good food. also, i think most of the guests would prefer to take the PATH, so walking distance from that is ideal.

amanda's and anthony david's look really wonderful but a little pricey for me. i'm basically footing the bill as there are no other bridesmaids. i'm thinking the elysian cafe. i like their menu. it seems interesting without being too out there, and it's in my price range. also, this will most likely be a sunday luncheon.

a friend also recommended the gaslight. any opinion on that (the gaslight menu)? their menu looks kinda... um, pedestrian? but if the food is really outstanding, i'd like to know.

thanks for the mention of the $35 tasting menu at AD. i'm going to suggest that to my friend when we go out next week. also, must try cucharamama.

:-)

please continue with all on topic AND off topic discussions.

athena, Elysian isn't walking distance from the Path, but there are always cabs for 5 or so dollars. it *is* walking distance from the 14th street ferry, however. and that's a wonderful ride.

the room at the elysian is, i think, absolutely beautiful. they've restored the old space (at the cost of $1M i'd think). wonderful ceillings and walls and big windows. just perfect for a sunday afternoon to my mind. the photos section of their website shows the room. it's also a more "adult" place than a lot of hoboken.

jon77, i misspoke. the deal at Arthur's is every night at the bar (happy hour basically). take a look at their website under "Special Offers" for details.

http://www.arthurslanding.com/

athena, Elysian isn't walking distance from the Path, but there are always cabs for 5 or so dollars.  it *is* walking distance from the 14th street ferry, however.  and that's a wonderful ride.

the room at the elysian is, i think, absolutely beautiful.  they've restored the old space (at the cost of $1M i'd think).  wonderful ceillings and walls and big windows.  just perfect for a sunday afternoon to my mind.  the photos section of their website shows the room.  it's also a more "adult" place than a lot of hoboken.

http://www.arthurslanding.com/

oh! i guess i didn't look at the address (or a map). good to know. thanks!

and that sounds like exactly the kind of atmosphere i'm looking for.

I whole heartedly agree with the restaurants recommendations made by others here. I just wanted to add that while Elysian is close to the 14th Street Ferry, that ferry has fairly minimal service off rush hour.

We had my son's Baptism party at Gaslight and were very pleased with it.

How about the uptown Charritos? The downtown one would probably be too small, but the uptown one has the same issues regarding distance from the PATH.

You could also suggest that the guests take the bus, which will give you more flexibility.

Although on the other side of Hoboken from the Path (20 minute walk or $5 cab ride) I think that Lua has some of the best food (and NYC Views!) that Hoboken has to offer. If you are doing this on a Sunday they have a teriffic brunch - I am not sure of the brunch prices but give them a call as they may be able to work with you for a large group.

Elysian is also teriffic, they are alsways crowded especially for Sunday Brunch!

As for places closer to the Path I have been to both 3 Forty Grill and Trinity for dinner both of which were very goof and are right along the waterfront.

BTW, On a nice day (can spring finally be here???), since you are doing a Saturday lunch, Elysian is a nice 15 minute walk from the PATH strolling up Washington Blvd... You can even wakl the 1st several blocks along the waterfront for views of the City. As a lunch spot, think Elysian would be an excellent choice.

BTW, On a nice day (can spring finally be here???), since you are doing a Saturday lunch, Elysian is a nice 15 minute walk from the PATH strolling up Washington Blvd...  You can even wakl the 1st several blocks along the waterfront for views of the City.  As a lunch spot, think Elysian would be an excellent choice.

if you walk up Washington Boulevard you're going to be in Jersey City. In Hoboken it's Washington *Street*. C'mon jon, you know that! :wink:

Actually, i have a really cool book about Hoboken history in the 70's (availabe at the hoboken museum: http://www.hobokenmuseum.org/ ) . Back in the day, Washington Street was actually referred to as "the boulevard". i think that goes for lots of main streets in cities back then. i arrived in the mid 80's and it was pretty much "washington street" by that point. who knows, so much has changed in hoboken even in the last 5 years that they might be calling it "the boulevard" again, in which case i'll eat my hat and shut up.

if you walk up Washington Boulevard you're going to be in Jersey City.  In Hoboken it's Washington *Street*.   C'mon jon, you know that!   :wink:

Actually, i have a really cool book about Hoboken history in the 70's (availabe at the hoboken museum:  http://www.hobokenmuseum.org/ ) .  Back in the day, Washington Street was actually referred to as "the boulevard".  i think that goes for lots of main streets in cities back then.   i arrived in the mid 80's and it was pretty much "washington street" by that point.  who knows, so much has changed in hoboken even in the last 5 years that they might be calling it "the boulevard" again, in which case i'll eat my hat and shut up.

No need to eat your hat... I've never heard anyone refer to it as "The Boulevard". Looking at the time stamp on the message, I can't even use the "I didn't have my morning coffee yet" excuse. Just a case of typing w/o thinking (or more importantly, proofreading), apparently...

Edited by jon777 (log)