• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Parmesan Broth

Hi,

Have any here tried to make parmesan broth using the rinds off a Reggiano wheel?

I've read it many times in various sources and have tried it at home.

It's not very good. It tastes like chemicals and well, waxy.

Maybe I'm doing something wrong?

I just boil water and drop a few rinds in.

Thanks!

i've never heard of people making broth out of parmigiano rinds, but i have heard of people putting the rinds into sauces, soups and etc. that already have a lot of flavor.

i agree with vadouvan...i have a feeling that if/when people do this, they think they're infusing or imparting parmigiano essence into their dish...but really it is psychological. maybe they figure they paid so much for the cheese they don't want to waste any :laugh:

Hi,

Have any here tried to make parmesan broth using the rinds off a Reggiano wheel?

I've read it many times in various sources and have tried it at home.

It's not very good.  It tastes like chemicals and well, waxy.

Maybe I'm doing something wrong?

I just boil water and drop a few rinds in.

Thanks!

I've made this recipe (broth only, not the risotto) and it was very good. With all those ingredients it should, huh? :biggrin: I don't care for rind water either. How long did you simmer yours?

Shelley: Would you like some pie?

Gordon: MASSIVE, MASSIVE QUANTITIES AND A GLASS OF WATER, SWEETHEART. MY SOCKS ARE ON FIRE.

Twin Peaks

Vadouvan, alanamoana, petite tête de chou,

Yes. That's what made sense. Use the cheese, not the rinds. But like that recipe at Epicurious of petit's, it calls for rinds. And many others.

Strange why that would be published. It made me think that the rinds had some sort of concentrated flavor.

Oh, well, now I know. Thanks for the feedback!

It's a great way for us at our restaurant to get use the rinds of Parmiagiano. I just simmer the rinds in chicken stock for about 30-45 minutes. It makes the most amazing broth for risotto and also the best chicken noodle soup.

I do as ryangary describes, more or less. I save up rinds, then simmer them in a good broth. I simmer for 2-3 hours, though, and get a fabulous flavor from the rinds. And even after all that simmering the rinds themselves still taste pretty good - my dog goes nuts for them.

A broth made that way is wonderful for tortellini in brodo as well as risotto.

If you've access to a thermomix, put the Parmesan in and make a note of the weight, blitz into powder and double the weight of water cook on 80 for 30 mins drain through a sieve to get the broth.

IMPORTANT: Clean the thermomix & sieve immediately as if the gloopy solids remaining set then it's a nightmare to clean - done it once never again,

Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana.