• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

First visit to Dallas

little ms foodie

I'll be on business in Dallas for the first time next week and would love a couple of recommendations on places that are unique to the city. I'll be with my boss so nothing crazy expensive, dressy or romantic. Just some good places and some suggestions on what types of dishes a girl who's never been to Texas should try!

thanks so much and of course I am happy to advise on restaurants in Seattle for anyone who needs it! :smile:

I'll be on business in Dallas for the first time next week and would love a couple of recommendations on places that are unique to the city. I'll be with my boss so nothing crazy expensive, dressy or romantic. Just some good places and some suggestions on what types of dishes a girl who's never been to Texas should try!

thanks so much and of course I am happy to advise on restaurants in Seattle for anyone who needs it!  :smile:

I'll throw out one place that my friends and I take every out of towner to.

Mia's. Get brisket tacos. They are AWESOME!!

Jeff Meeker, aka "jsmeeker"

thanks so much and of course I am happy to advise on restaurants in Seattle for anyone who needs it!  :smile:

I'll throw out one place that my friends and I take every out of towner to.

Mia's. Get brisket tacos. They are AWESOME!!

Looks awesome!!!, that's what I'm talking about! the places you take your out of town friends to. Thanks jsmeeker- it's on the list!

anything else?? I'm now on my own so especially any places that are good for solo. I'm staying at the Kimpton - anyone have any info on their restaurants? One is a trader vics and the other I can't remember the name.

I know nothing about Dallas so also PM me if there are some "must sees" as I will have some time to peak around.

I think we may be of more help to you if you tell us what part of the city you are in and a little more, if you can, about what kind of foods you are interested in, if you have a car...and price range. It's a big world out there.

right you are!!!

for this trip I'll be staying between Park Cities and Lakewood near downtown. I will have a car. Truely I love all foods and am just really interested in the best places to go in Dallas. Not nessisarily the most expensive but I've dined alone with a tasting menu and paired wines at Topo in Chicago so I don't rule out anything. Just the great places that you think stand out in Dallas as great meals- taco truck to 4 stars....

thanks!!!

That helps! Try searching in this forum for these restaurants. Many also have wenbsites. Most are in your general area, unless I have indicated otherwise.

Tasting Room at Lola: I have not been, but it has gotten strong reports here for several years.

York Street: Chef Sharon Hague is an award winning chef.

Thai-riffic: There are several good Thai restaurants in the area, but this is still my favorite. Worth the drive up the Tollway to LBJ.

Primo's: for Tex-Mex. Popular uptown spot.

Ciudad: Upscale Tex-Mex/Mex-Tex.

Lannie's Alta Cocina Mexicana: Ft. Worth location. Arguably the best Mexican fine dining in the area.

Peggy Sue's BBQ: Park Cities location. Frequently praised with some uneven reports.

If you know a little Spanish, you may want to stop for a snack or lunch at a taqueria. They're everywhere.

There are also very good Chinese, Vietnamese, Korean and Middle Eastern options.

I also strongly suggest that you visit the Greenville avenue location of Central Market, perhaps the best high quality food market in the US. Take the tour. It will take you over an hour to walk the aisles.

great richard, thank you! although I'll only have a few meals this trip Dallas is now part of my territory so I'll get a chance to try these over the next few months I'm sure!

I think this trip will definately include Mias and Ciudad!

This is funny! I am staying at the Palamar, just like you! The thing is, I grew up in Dallas (50 years in the area) and five years ago moved to Connecticut, where I am active on the "New England" eGullet forum.

Yesterday, I asked a girl at the 214 Central bar where to get good Tex-Mex (since I have been out of the area for so long) and she suggested Mia's!

We are on a not-so-limited dining budget so any advice is very welcome for me, as well.

We ate at Mercado Juarez last night and I was not impressed with the roasted cabritto (stringy and mostly not too tender). They only had a "Burgundy" red wine and it was not fit to drink. This used to be a place I liked....

I think the idea of searching the posts is important. There are sooo many good spots to dine in the immediate area. Greenville Avenue, McKinney ("uptown district" area)and all over North Dallas including Addison. I am not big on the West End area. Too touristy and mediocre for me, as far as what I have experienced.

You must have some good "Q" while you're here. I would like to know where I can get some good ribs? I don't need upscale for barbeque!

Fusion Asian and non-classic French?

Speaking of French; my sister says there is a LaMadelline north, across the street from the hotel. Isn't there a good Asian or seafood place in that area, as well?

We will be here for six more days so I am wanting to explore, but i do not feel confident about visiting my old haunts....

Banished from Chowhound; I like it just fine on eGullet!

If you`re not big enough to lose, you`re not big enough to win! Try this jalapeno, son. It ain't hot...

Last night I had dinner at Central 214 which is at the Hotel Palomar. I sat up at the chefs counter which is always interesting for me. Very nice servers and staff here. started with a vodka martini and they brought over some bread with a little plate of olives, artichoke spread and butter. Then the kitchen sent over their Carolina rock shrimp cocktail done "louis" style. It was quite tasty with slices of avacado and a nice little micro green salad.

I had the fresh fish special which was arctic char pan seared and served on a bed of israeli cous cous and a peanut sauce. it was great, a bit smokey and a bit spicy. I think there was chili powder in the seasoning.

Had a glass of OR Pinot from 3 graces which was good but completley overpriced at $15 a glass!!!

nice atmosphere also

Though we have had some good breakfasts and Sunday brunch at 214 Central I would walk across the street to Rockfish for seafood!

We ate there because it was suggested by my Sister and it turns out to be a top place in AOL ratings for 2007. I had talapia with Pontchatrain Sauce, which was a very good, spicy, creamy version and my partner had excellent fish tacos. The wine was not expensive and they had a small but decent selection.

We had lunch at Mia's TexMex on Lemmon Avenue. Having grown up in Dallas and having eaten at about every hole-in-the-wall to exotic place, I can say that this satisfies me as authentic, quality "Dallas Texmex". I was disappointed tha they only have chile rellenos on Tuesday nights! They are one of my favorite dishes.

Last night we ate at Nate's, in Addison. I had blackened redfish with a wierd Ponchatrain topping. The fish was perfectly done and moist but the "sauce" was only OK; it was fairly dry and had mushrooms and red wine in it. I like the more typical,creamyversion with heat. Oysters on the half-shell were very good. The shrimp and fish gumbo, with okra, was a little bland for my taste, but OK. The fried crayfish nuggets were excellent and they had boiled crayfish (right now) for $3.50 a pound. This is classic, messy peel-and-eat. If you have never experienced eating crayfish you should get some. Rockfish has them, as well. They are seasonal and won't be around for long.

Edited by Scargo (log)

Banished from Chowhound; I like it just fine on eGullet!

If you`re not big enough to lose, you`re not big enough to win! Try this jalapeno, son. It ain't hot...

had lunch yesterday at Peggy Sue BBQ which I liked and would totally go back to. I had the dry rub ribs with a side of beans and squash casserole. both sides were just ok but the ribs were good and the spicy sauce was very good. I didn't save room for the fried pies....next time!

Last night dinner at Ciudad which I also enjoyed. I'm a bit spoiled by my neighborhood Oxacan (sp) restaurant but this was still very good. duck flautos, the mexican cheese melt and a few margaritas.

thanks again for these recommendations! I'm off to Mias today for lunch before flying out. as said I'll be back in dallas again soon so I'll keep these and others in mind depending on the area I am in!

Mia's officially my favorite restaurant in the area. I had the beef brisket tacos (how can you not?) and they were incredible. the peppers were roasted until literally sweet! and the salsa they serve is nice and spicy. Perfect last lunch for this trip. Thanks again!!

Mia's officially my favorite restaurant in the area. I had the beef brisket tacos (how can you not?) and they were incredible. the peppers were roasted until literally sweet! and the salsa they serve is nice and spicy. Perfect last lunch for this trip. Thanks again!!

I'm really glad you enjoyed it. :)

Jeff Meeker, aka "jsmeeker"

I'm really glad you enjoyed it. :)

I'm really glad you suggested it!!! :biggrin: