• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Del Pedro, late of Grange Hall

plattetude

I wonder if anyone in the know in this forum might know if Del Pedro is behind the stick anywhere these days? For those who don't know, his drink list and mixology at the late lamented Grange Hall in Greenwich Village was well ahead of its time, IMHO. And I'll credit a few trips there some years ago to really turning me on to what cocktails could and should be. Notably, I had my first Aviation there, which was also my first exposure to maraschino liqueur.

I'm posting here rather than in the New York forum since, well, the question is best put to cocktail geeks rather than the broader NY crowd.

So then, anyone?

Christopher

For those who don't know, his drink list and mixology at the late lamented Grange Hall in Greenwich Village was well ahead of its time, IMHO. 

IMHO as well--Del was working his magic there in the mid '90s, well before the classic cocktails boom. I remember talking about Jerry Thomas with him one night, back when I had just picked up a copy of Asbury's edition of the book and was goggling at what I found therein. He already had it.

Better than that, though, he was, and is, also one of those bartenders who can weld a casual bunch of strangers into a social unit. One of the very best. He's working somewhere in the West Village, last I heard. Seek and ye shall find.

aka David Wondrich

There are, according to recent statistics, 147 female bartenders in the United States. In the United Kingdom the barmaid is a feature of the wayside inn, and is a young woman of intelligence and rare sagacity. --The Syracuse Standard, 1895

• 2 weeks later...