• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Restaurant, Food and Chef News

Felice

I'm reading between the lines or finding information by omission, but it seems that Les Saveurs de Flora Mikula is no longer serving a "women's lunch" but has a 29 Euro one for all, according to Les Gourmandises de Philippe.  {PS I always liked the place.}

More, according to l'Internaute Mikula is now offering a 35 minute 2-course menu for 32 E and 3 courses for 38 E.

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris

Does anyone know what has become of Gilles Epie since the failure of Citrus Etoile?

Laidback; what is your source/reference? June's WHERE had a piece by Alexander Lobrano indicating it was in business and their website is still active.

Hopefully my information is wrong. It came from an employee of the French bank that financed them whom we had lunched with at Citrus Etoile about a year ago, and supposedly they pulled the plug recently.

Are you in Paris now? If so perhaps you could give them a call. I always felt that Gilles Epie had talent..

Today I answered my own question by calling Citrus Etoile and confirming that they are still open...this is not the 1st time that a representative of a French bank made a mistake!

This week, Lesrestos.com announced that Yohann Parran, who only took over Beauvilliers in Montmartre three years ago, is himself turning the place over to Antoine Heerah of the nearby Moulin de la Galette, ex-Chamarre {too} who will renovate and reopen it this summer.

Walked by this week and it is still a bit away from being open; It appears that it will be called Chamarré from the signage.

Isn't Chamarré at Montmarte old news?

Anti-alcoholics are unfortunates in the grip of water, that terrible poison, so corrosive that out of all substances it has been chosen for washing and scouring, and a drop of water added to a clear liquid like Absinthe, muddles it." ALFRED JARRY

blog

Three pieces of information from A Nous Paris:

Cristal de Sel in the 15th, (ANP's coup de coeur last year,) is offering a new market lunch for 20E.

Ozu in the acquarium of the Trocadero in the 16th, will host Thierry Marx at the same time he continues at le Chateau Cordeillian Bages.

Le Prince de Galles hotel will offer tapas each evening 6:30-11 PM ranging from 7-9 Euros.

John Talbott

I just read in Daily Neuvième that Daniel Rose will be moving Spring from the 9th to the 1st on Rue Balleuil. His new place will be slightly larger and have a proper cave. The article stated that his assistant, Marie-Aude Mery, will be accompanying him in the move said to be next Spring.

Thanks Laidback. Now that the embargo has been broken, I'm sure everyone is pleased to know that Spring, plus a non-traditional bar, sit down area for a plat du jour and wine cellar will accomodate more folk, but one correction is in order to the blognote; if only "100 000 euros" were to be spent on the work, it would be a pretty shabby renovation. Like Sec'y Paulson's estimate, it may be many times that. Otherwise we'll watch the Rue Balleuil with eagerness.

John Talbott

He talks about it here too

22 seater restaurant with similar , no choice menu concept, much larger dining room, champagne cellar and snacks outside of lunch/dinner hours with luxury comfort food like lobster rolls...

And the investment for the original Spring wasn't much more than 100k...

Edited by fresh_a (log)

Anti-alcoholics are unfortunates in the grip of water, that terrible poison, so corrosive that out of all substances it has been chosen for washing and scouring, and a drop of water added to a clear liquid like Absinthe, muddles it." ALFRED JARRY

blog

He talks about it here too

22 seater restaurant with similar , no choice menu concept, much larger dining room, champagne cellar and snacks outside of lunch/dinner hours with luxury comfort food like lobster rolls...

And the investment for the original Spring wasn't much more than 100k...

I just came from rue Bailleuil! One block long, little dingy street! Daniel, you will definitely be the highlight of the street!! I wondered which spot it was...the one that went around the corner looked like a good spot. Easy metro access for us. I had the most fantastic dinner at Spring last week and I will be there for lunch again next week. I may be able to get more information from Daniel.

I have been in Paris since Sept. 11th and will be here til Oct. 10th. I will soon take some time and give you the list of where I have been so far...you will find that I have been busy! I am heading almost beneath me to a place that exudes charm, funky, and can be a delight..Cafe Max..acquired a few years ago by an Italian who moved here as a child...he completely re-modeled the place..it is full of politicians and lawyers for lunch and the young professionals at night..by 10:00 or so the place is hopping..a bit of an Italian touch to the French..I have eaten well when there! Valdo is a character!!

a bientot.....Joan

I just came from rue Bailleuil! One block long, little dingy street! Daniel, you will definitely be the highlight of the street!! I wondered which spot it was...the one that went around the corner looked like a good spot. a bientot.....Joan

John Talbott

• 1 month later...

I've just posted news in the Digest from an article in Figaroscope about various places and people that are “hot news” in the restaurant-opening category:

Oth Sombath, Beauvilliers, Le Jadis, Rose Bakery II, Le Palace, l’Arbuci, Le Barbezingue, Ralph Lauren, Daniel Rose, Gilles Choukroun, Bus Palladium + Nicolas le Bec.

John Talbott

Isn't it Rose Bakery III?

blog

Well, anyway, it should be III for the third opening ....after London and rue des Martyrs....

blog

• 1 month later...

André recently said the Gare de l'Est area is going to be the new happening neighbourhood in Paris. Maybe because he just opened La Fidélité there...

blog

In Saturday’s Figaro, Alexandra Michot and Francois Simon wrote an article on the trends we’ll see in 2009:

Return of the dinner show: for example at the Palace, Bus Palladium + VIP Room Theater as well as jazz at Bilboquet and operatic at the Garnier.

Local food not slow food: 160 km max plus Japanese and artisanal influences.

The Michelin tapping up le Bristol + le Ritz.

Guy Martin’s replacing his lost star with 10 activities: restos (Grand Vefour, Miyou, Cristal Room), lessons (l’Atelier,) a book and TV.

The fruit of the year – cedrat (Buddha’s hand).

The accessory of the year – an apple-peeler (replacing the mandolin).

Palace news – extension of the Bristol, new brasserie at Les Crayeres, renovation of the Crillon, Piege’s move to Thoumieux and the reopening of several places at the Royal Monceau.

John Talbott

• 1 month later...

In this morning's IHT, an AP story quotes Michel Barnier as saying that France will support more wine tours "to help counter falling wine sales...." - saying that wine consumption has fallen 7% so far [emphasis mine] this year and 10% last year. They've also created a new "Wine Tourism Board."

John Talbott

In this morning's IHT, an AP story quotes Michel Barnier as saying that France will support more wine tours "to help counter falling wine sales...." - saying that wine consumption has fallen 7% so far [emphasis mine] this year and 10% last year.  They've also created a new "Wine Tourism Board."

What about the projet de loi that will outlaw tastings, including in shops and at wine fairs? Imagine a wine fair where you are not allowed to taste the wine. The French government seems intent on destroying the wine business in their country through restrictions on advertising, etc.

In this morning's IHT, an AP story quotes Michel Barnier as saying that France will support more wine tours "to help counter falling wine sales...." - saying that wine consumption has fallen 7% so far [emphasis mine] this year and 10% last year.  They've also created a new "Wine Tourism Board."

What about the projet de loi that will outlaw tastings, including in shops and at wine fairs? Imagine a wine fair where you are not allowed to taste the wine. The French government seems intent on destroying the wine business in their country through restrictions on advertising, etc.

Bachelot announced that the law regulating "open bar" practices will not make free wine tastings illegal.

This is not surprising as I believe the wine lobby in France is quite powerful.

Émile Jung, Crocodile, Strasbourg may retire this year. According to ViaMichelin "As for handing over the baton, Émile and Monique Jung have been thinking about it for some time; they’re ready for some well-deserved peace and quiet. It is said that the baton may be passed as early as this year to Philippe Bohrer, who was chef at the Élysées of Valéry Giscard d’Estaing and François Mitterrand".

Presumably Bohrer will keep his Rouffach business Restaurant Philippe Bohrer?

Edited by milkman (log)

• 2 weeks later...

Yesterday/today’s Le Monde had an article about the EU allowing rosé wine to be made by mixing red and white wine “to make it easier,” one source said. The phrase that got me was from EUbusiness and said “Winegrowers in France's picturesque Provence region are pink-faced with fury over EU plans to let producers make rose wine by mixing red and white….”

John Talbott

• 2 weeks later...

John mentionned on another thread that Garrance was not answering the phone which reminded me to post the "closed for renovations" sign in their window. I would be surprised if they were really renovating because the place never took off and always seemed to be empty when I walked by. I will let you know what turns up as I live nearby.

Another place which recently closed is Le Coin de Verre (not a place mentionned here but a place I had wanted to try). It seems that a cave/epicerie will take its place but the last time I walked by no work had been done.

www.parisnotebook.wordpress.com