• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Restaurant, Food and Chef News

Felice

This week's Figaroscope supplement has a lotta new stuff from Emmanuel Rubin; for instance, that an:

- ex-Dutournier is opening a bistrot Clocher Pereire, 42 blvd Pereire in the 17th

- a new team is in control of Victor aka Victor & Capucine, 101 bis, rue Lauriston in the 16th

- the Rival Cafe des Costes in the 8th has been renovated beautifully

- the Cafe Jenny in the 3rd will/has become a tapas bar

- C Constant has indeed opened his new place (see elsewhere)

- the Brasserie Les Princes in the 16th is "batting their eyelids" at their South Terrace (got me, well nobody reads this stuff anyway)

- after the rentree, Alain Dutournier of Le Carre des Feuillants + Pinxo will be opening a cider-ie where sat Vivendi in the 17th and a two-fer, a table d'hote in Port Marly in the 78th

- the ex-Bastide Odeon guy, Gilles Ajuelos will revive La Marlotte {point of personal privilege - they loved my 3-yo grand-daughter} in the 6th

- Sole in the 9th will become the biggest trattoria in the city there and in the 18th on the Rue Myrha {where?}

- a year after its last move, Fauchon in the 8th will open a new restaurant

- at La Villette in the 19th, several food endeavors are underway and finally,

- Oth Sombath ex-Blue Elephant { A great place in its day} is opening a chic Siam in the 8th.

And they speak of ten books which I won't bore you with.

Edited by John Talbott (log)

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris

Sunday's JDD had an article by Aurelie Chaigneau about a new Seine cruise utilizing 8 Riva high speed boats that from 5-8 July will take one on a 3-4-hour trip from the quai de Javel to the Bastille with lots of Mumm champagne and finger food from Inaki Aizpitarte (Chateaubriand) and Laurent Chareau (Transversal.) Cost, a mere 1000 euros for four persons.

John Talbott

• 2 weeks later...

Wine things opening in September include: Il Vino, 13 bd de La Tour Maubourg in the 7th by the Best sommelier in the World 2007 - Enrico Bernardo, La Sydrerie de l'Etoile, 6 rue de Tilsitt in the 8th by Alain Dutournier and Rugbyman Philippe Sella and an as yet unnamed wine bar near his Atelier by Joël Robuchon and Antoine Hernandez. Source: Web Radio France.

John Talbott

According to Les Restos.com the above-mentioned Enrico Bernardo (who, according to Gayot just opened a place, La Villa Madie, in Cassis in April) was at the Cinq before that and Il Vino will occupy the ex-Le Chamarré space, chef yet un-named - but chef Arnaud Mene after six years at La Ferme Saint-Simon in the 7th will open his own place in place of l’Actuel in the 7th, which was Casual, which replaced La Gourmandine - {this is a cursed space clearly}.

The former Parc restaurant in the 16th is closing and being replaced by Le Bistro de La Muette; a new resto Acabar d’entrar in the 2nd has been opened by "Auvergnats" from Cantal and the Tour d’Argent will be closed until September 17th for refurbishing, according to Eat in Paris.

The Relais Christine newsletter says that Amelot has become Au Petit Monsieur and they recommend it for its 50-60 € meals.

John Talbott

According to Les Restos.com...

The former Parc restaurant in the 16th is closing and being replaced by Le Bistro de La Muette;

Their info is a bit out of date, because the Bistro de la Muette has been open for a little while now. I can't remember when, but it has been several months.

www.parisnotebook.wordpress.com

According to Les Restos.com...

The former Parc restaurant in the 16th is closing and being replaced by Le Bistro de La Muette;

Their info is a bit out of date, because the Bistro de la Muette has been open for a little while now. I can't remember when, but it has been several months.

Don't shoot the messenger, I was just quoting an undated announcement.

True, May 19th, it had been reviewed by Emmanuel Rubin, but I don't think he mentioned that it was where Parc had been located.

A lot of the website "news" is old, unfortunately.

John Talbott

• 2 weeks later...
Here's the wording "Le restaurant étoilé d'Antoine Heerah et de Jerome Bodereau,  Le Chamarré  vient de fermer ses portes fin Juin 2007."  No mention of a move.

I clearly heard of a move recently, but I don't remember where to and who told me. It will surface back soon I hope.

Saturday's NYT contained an article by Stephen Castle datelined Perpignan, entitled "A Tide of Wine May Drive European Growers From a Way of Life," that while saying nothing that has not already been published in French, summarizes the situation (overproduction, low prices, "New World" competition, EU/Brussels pressure to destroy vines, French resistance and industrialized wine production) than non-French readers may wish to read.

John Talbott

Here's the wording "Le restaurant étoilé d'Antoine Heerah et de Jerome Bodereau,  Le Chamarré  vient de fermer ses portes fin Juin 2007."  No mention of a move.

I clearly heard of a move recently, but I don't remember where to and who told me. It will surface back soon I hope.

Well, it's now on the web in several places and also, Wednesday-Thursday in Le Monde, Jean Claude Ribault reviewed two places in Paris open in August: one of which is the Le Moulin de la Galette, coordinates well-known, taken over by Jérôme Bodereau and Antoine Heerah, exChamaree, serving market produce, pumpkin soup, Jerusalem artichoke, crunchy milk-fed-pork and “amusing” desserts with a 17 € menu at lunch and 25 € at dinner, à la carte count on 45 €, open everyday including in August.

John Talbott

• 2 weeks later...

Lot’s of news of new things and musical chairs on lesrestos.com: to whit: in July, l’Estrapade in the 5th was reprised by a young Béarnaise chef Marc Baucor; and for the rentree: Le Clarisse is opening in the ex-l’Actuel/Casual, 7th, space with a chef Arnaud Mene ex-La Ferme St-Simon, also Chez Pierre Au Palais Royal in the First, in another remake, will have chef Pascal Bataillé, ex-l'Arôme + l'Ami Marcel under the direction of Eric Sertour, ex-Residence Maxim’s + l'Atelier des Compères starting in September, and finally that a new patron arrives at Pearl after the rentree and its new chef is Fréréric Chalette, ex-l’Estrapade, see above.

Web Radio du Gout has a few announcements of wine events that I’ll let you read about involving Blaye, Reuilly and the best wines of 2007.

John Talbott

A study done by Crédoc, reported in Radio France’s Radio du Gout showed that while French children eat what they call an Anglo-Saxon-type breakfast (cereals, fruit, juice, etc.,) adults prefer a warm drink (93%) and a tartine (54%) with butter (41%) or jam/honey (27%).

John Talbott

Lot’s of news of new things and musical chairs on lesrestos.com: to whit: in July, l’Estrapade in the 5th was reprised by a young Béarnaise chef Marc Baucor; and for the rentree: Le Clarisse is opening in the ex-l’Actuel/Casual, 7th, space with a chef Arnaud Mene ex-La Ferme St-Simon, also Chez Pierre Au Palais Royal in the First, in another remake, will have chef Pascal Bataillé, ex-l'Arôme + l'Ami Marcel under the direction of Eric Sertour, ex-Residence Maxim’s + l'Atelier des Compères starting  in September, and finally that a new patron arrives at Pearl after the rentree and its new chef is Fréréric Chalette, ex-l’Estrapade, see above.

This week's A Nous Paris had complementary info, repeating some of the above but also adding that the following are closed/closing: le Clos Saint Honore, Le Grain de Sel + Harumi in the 1st, 4th and 15th respectively; and that the following would/will have new chefs: la Ferrandaise, la Ferme St Simon, l'Arome + Chez Ripaille in the 6th, 7th, 8th and 17th respectively.

Edited by John Talbott to correct the arrondissement for the Ferme St Simon, that was given as idem in ANP, thanks to Laidback's keen eye.

Edited by John Talbott (log)

John Talbott

Boy, did I miss this one. It’s apparently been open since 2005 but Starbucks has better buzz. In any case, today I was walking from lunch (about which, more later) to the Metro to go to the Pinacotheque de Paris (whose Lichtenstein exhibit is not to be missed,) when I smelled such a strong (pleasant) aroma of coffee that I stopped and entered the Cafeotheque (interesting coincidence, non?) at 52, rue Hotel de Ville in the 4th, where the 1st Barista Championship of France was held June 28th. Their website says that over time they’ll serve over 1000 coffee types and serve a different one every day.

John Talbott

Lichtenstein and good coffee, two reasons to be happy.

News from L'Hôtellerie

I have been getting (in both my mailboxes, snail and e) the professional magazine L'Hôtellerie-Restauration for some time now, and it only just occurred to me that some of the info could be pertinently conveyed here — once in a while because not everything is interesting, far from it. So here goes:

Do yo want to see Marc Veyrat's hat in a glass case?

Then you should head to the Musée de la Bresse in Saint-Cyr-sur-Menthon (Ain) to view the exhibition Toqués de cuisine.

ToquesDeCuisine.jpg

A collection of food-oriented paraphernalia lent by famous chefs to the museum: signed chef hats, antique cookbooks, vintage menus, photographs, rare tableware… Exceptional items, they say.

Musée de la Bresse-Domaine des Planons - Hameau La Mulatière - 01380 Saint-Cyr-sur-Menthon (Ain). Tél. : 03 85 36 31 22 - fax : 03 85 36 37 30. musees.paysdelain@cg01.fr

Slow Food France celebrates the potato

JourneeNationaleSlowFood.jpg

Ain't they cute — I mean the little spuds. September 15: Slow Food France will hold its first National Day on the potato theme. UNO and FAO having declared (did you know?) 2008 "Year of the Potato", and deservedly so, potato being the 4th food crop in the world. Chefs and producers are invited to celebrate the miraculous tuber through new dishes, workshops, potato picking, perfect-purée ateliers, etc., and to contact their closest Slow Food convivium.

To find the closest convivium click here, where you will find a PDF about the first events: some are already programmed in Paris, Corsica, Haute-Provence, Monaco, Languedoc, Bordeaux, Val-de-Loire and Auvergne.

Journées du Patrimoine

Because cooking belongs to the national cultural heritage just like châteaux and other monuments, French cuisine will play a part in the next Journées européennes du Patrimoine, on September 15 and 16, from 11 AM to 5 PM, at the Ecole Ferrandi. Recipes like bœuf en daube, bouchées à la reine au ris de veau et au riesling will be demonstrated for visitors, and the boulangerie-pâtisserie section will also be open to the public, with much croissant-making and madeleine-baking to view.

Ecole nationale supérieure Grégoire-Ferrandi, 28 rue de l'Abbé-Grégoire, 75006 Paris. Tel. 01 49 54 28 00. Website.

News from L'Hôtellerie

Malaysian week at L'Orénoc

Malaysia will be celebrating the 50th anniversary of its national independence from September 3 to 8 with a gourmet week at the hotel Méridien Étoile. Chef Wan and his assistants chef Shaiful and chef Hasbullah will join chef Claude Colliot in the kitchens of L'Orénoc. Their dishes will be served at the restaurant and at the hotel bar La Terrasse du Jazz.

There will also be a Malaysian cooking class on September 8 (15 €).

Le Méridien Étoile - 81, bd Gouvion-Saint-Cyr, 75017 Paris. L'Orénoc: 01 40 68 30 40 - La Terrasse du Jazz: 01 40 68 30 85. Métro Porte-Maillot. Website.

Edited by Ptipois (log)

• 2 weeks later...

From lesrestos.com the news that the restaurant Claudio, 2 rue de Sontay in the 16th is being replaced by the Jardin d’Hugo, 01.40.67.19.62, still an Italian place and that the Cap Vernet, 82, avenue Marceau in the 8th is being replaced by an Italian place run by the owner of Le Cou de la Girafe.

And from Web Radio du Gout the news already given in the Digest about the opening of the Cotte Roti and that the Japanese chef Nao Sasaki, after five years with Jean Pierre Vigato at Apicius is going to Au Bon Accueil taking the place of Chef Iroyoshi, who has left for le Meurice. In addition, the China Club, cult bar in the 12th, has shut but will reopen under the owners of le Fumoir + la Gazetta in 2008.

John Talbott

Saturday-Sunday in Figaro Madame there was an article by Alexandra Michot and Francois Simon about “What’s New in the Restaurants” that mentioned: that in the battle for more stars, Yannick Alléno’s Meurice became more glamorous because of a redo by Philippe Starck, that Le Pré Catelan, short-listed for three macaroons unveils its new look in October, that L’hôtel Scribe will soon open a chic tea house, that le Bristol is opening a deluxe brasserie and that Jean-François Piège’s le Crillon has or is undergoing a rejuvenation along with a high class sushi bar.

John Talbott

The New York Times, now free online for everyone, published an interview with the famous founder of Starbucks Howard Schultz in which he says there are now 50 "successful" stores in Paris with "Parisians drinking Starbucks coffee" and globally he expects to double the number in 4 years.

John Talbott