• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Restaurant, Food and Chef News

Felice

This is a new feature on the eGullet France Forum that will stretch our antennae out to capture items that may not be reported in other media.

Feel free to use it for things as diverse as new and renovated restaurants, chef sightings and transfers, changes in menu and venue, and other industry and community news.

www.parisnotebook.wordpress.com

This is a new feature on the eGullet France Forum that will stretch our antennae out to capture items that may not be reported in other media.

Feel free to use it for things as diverse as sightings of famous chefs in strange areas to stumbling upon a restaurant undergoing a repainting.

Great idea Phyllis. I'll take the plunge.

New restaurants.

The American University of Paris will move to the Ile Seguin (ex-Renault site that is the failed destination for the Tadao Ando-designed François Pinault-financed Contemporary Art Museum that will instead install itself at the Palazzo Grassi in Venice) and there will be restaurants, that's correct, pleural. After leaving the 7th and the rue St Dominique they'll need them.

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris

I was very excited by the prospect of attending a dinner at Spring. I had read so much, heard so much, and I was ready to experience it. And it lived up to the expectation. Not only was the meal a treat, we ran into some exciting people too. Just as we sat down, David Lebovitz walked in and took a seat. Then moments later, Alan Richman (food writer for GQ) stolled up giving bisous to Daniel Rose. He stood in the kitchen and noted on Rose's jittery, yet talented hands and even snuck a spoonful of lemon curd when Rose wasn't looking. So just a heads up to perhaps glance at GQ (as one might not regulary...) in a few months for a review on dining chez Spring et a Paris!

Alan Richman (food writer for GQ) stolled up giving bisous to Daniel Rose. He stood in the kitchen and noted on Rose's jittery, yet talented hands and even snuck a spoonful of lemon curd when Rose wasn't looking. So just a heads up to perhaps glance at GQ (as one might not regulary...) in a few months for a review on dining chez Spring et a Paris!

My spy tells me one should look for it in Bon Appetit although since France is untapped GQ territory, perhaps there too.

John Talbott

• 2 weeks later...

Radio France is turning out to be the best source of food news; the latest that Chez Julien opposite the Ile Saint-Louis in the 4th will be reopened by Thierry Costes (Hôtel Amour, Café Etienne Marcel).

Edited by John Talbott (log)

John Talbott

Radio France is turning out to be the best source of food news; the latest that Chez Julien opposite the Ile Saint-Louis in the 4th will be reopened by Thierry Costes (Hôtel Amour, Café Etienne Marcel).

Um, it's actually just across the river from the Ile, at rue du Pont Louis Philippe. I've been passing by it for years, noting its very high adorableness quotient, but never actually went in. I assume the adorable level will drop as the chi-chi level rises.

As of yesterday the restaurant Champ de Mars on rue St. Dominique is open after their extensive renovation. The adjacent table d'hote Auvergne Gourmande has been jettisoned and its space used for expansion of the mother restaurant.

Edited by Laidback (log)

May 3rd, Natasha in the 14th reopened under new chef/management and in June, Dominique Loiseau will open a new place in Beaune. In addition May 14 - June 30, six Starwood restaurants will feature edible flowers at 39-85 Euros a pop (the restos include Le First, L'Orénoc + le Montparnasse 25). Finally, the L'Hôtel La Trémoille in the 8th opened its new resto May 10th.

Edited by John Talbott to complete incomplete post.

John Talbott

Le Mini Palais at the Grand Palais

Today’s Figaroscope announced that a new restaurant ‘éphémère’ is opening at the end of the month for the next 6 months at the Grand Palais and that Gilles Choukroun (Angl’ Opera) will be in charge of the kitchen. Open 7 days a week from 10am to 1 am. They envision more than just a museum cantine and say that it will be a ‘glam-chic’ Parisian address with a lounge-like atmosphere.

www.parisnotebook.wordpress.com

Le Mini Palais at the Grand Palais

Today’s Figaroscope announced that a new restaurant ‘éphémère’ is opening at the end of the month for the next 6 months at the Grand Palais and that Gilles Choukroun (Angl’ Opera) will be in charge of the kitchen.  Open 7 days a week from 10am to 1 am.  They envision more than just a museum cantine and say that it will be a ‘glam-chic’ Parisian address with a lounge-like atmosphere.

I drifted by the last one at the GP supposedly run by a famous chef and as interesting as it sounds on paper, in the flesh neither the choices nor the atmosphere equalled going to a real restaurant. I don't know if they even really have a kitchen or prepare things elsewhere and finish them off at the GP. I suppose if you're there for an exhibition it'd be OK.

John Talbott

Radio France + Relaxnews announced that from May 24 – June 30, Cyril Lignac, he from TV’s “Oui Chef” will be giving courses on the parvis at La Defense based on fresh veggies and fruits (for instance May 24th it’s 2:30-5:30 PM). Sign up at 0800.858.563. In addition, they announced the opening May 21st of Helene Darroze’s new Southwestern cooking bistrot at 12, rue de l’Hotel Colbert in the 5th. Finally, they announced the opening of two new places – Jour + Viaggio in the Printemps-owned sports store, the Citadium, in the 9th.

John Talbott

• 2 weeks later...

Well, lotsa things going on this week/month.

First, along the boulevard St Germain, wow, what changes! Chez René , at 14, has changed hands, and I’ll be posting my thoughts next week. The Bistro Coté Mer, next door at 16, long after Madame Rostang departed, is now a place called Au Sud de Nulle Part with French and English menus (the latter, translated abominably – e.g. dorado, vinager, Combawa peel, nice veal chop, foam of shellfish, sweet and ice, sharing, well, Pti where are you now that your services are needed?). Ma Cuisine at 26, a horrible place, has thankfully given up the ghost and Le Pactole at 44, which sat empty for years, is now the Trattoria Roma, serving wood-fire pizzas 7/7.

Then, Figaro announced that the publisher, Cherche Midi, was giving a 4,000 € “Terra” prize out for the best work on the subject of what we’re eating today. Also, the price of butter is up 40% this year, according to Figaro, prompting cookie makers to hike their prices. And finally, it will cost you more to take the Metro to your favorite resto after July 1st – 1.50 € a ride and 11.10 € for 10 rides.

Despite Emmanuel Rubin’s one heart review of Le Monjul in Figaroscope, the folks at Matin Plus think the French/Spanish trained chef will present interesting and playful food for his clients.

And outside Paris, Gerald Vie, after 37 years and 16,000 meals a year is leaving the {great} Trois Marches in Versailles next week for a new place for him – the Potager du Roy - where he’ll do more inventive cooking. One will watch this change.

Edited by John Talbott to try to avoid Amazon.com link that was incorrect.

John Talbott

(the latter, translated abominably – e.g. dorado, vinager, Combawa peel, nice veal chop, foam of shellfish, sweet and ice, sharing, well, Pti where are you now that your services are needed?).

Right here, John. I don't know what those mean except perhaps combawa peel.

Ma Cuisine at 26, a horrible place, has thankfully given up the ghost

And not one single minute too soon.

A Nous Paris announces that the 8 & 9 June, butcher shops all over France are opening their doors for an apero, tastings and demonstrations concerning meat. Then they note that Haagen-Dazs® opened the biggest terrace (200 covers) and a huge space (1,200 square meters) on the Champs-Elysees (@49-51). Finally, Fauchon will open a pink terrace for the summer for folks getting stuff from their bakery.

John Talbott

Radio France and RelaxNews announced that since the beginning of June, Martial Enguehard, a MOF, has opened La Cooking Factory on the rue d'Enghien in the 9th which accommodates 20-120 persons in a New York loft-like setting for different culinary workshops.

John Talbott

In Le Monde this week, Jean Claude Ribaut talks of several outdoor events that may interest you: if you missed the “Le Fooding’s” Grand Fooding event at the MAC/VAL just outside Paris, June 10th, there are two more: one in Marseille June 17th and another in Lyon June 24th and then there are the temporary tables set up on the Pont des Arts as well as a “White Dinner” – location a secret and only announced at 6:30 PM D-Day and the Republican picnic July 13 and 14 in 87 cities, about which there’s more here.

John Talbott