• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Restaurant Sat Bains

Baked celeriac must be an "in thing". We had it at In de Wulf (Dranouter, Belgium) last year - where it's wrapped in hay and then a salt crust to cook for 4 hours (they do it on a BBQ). It's served thinly sliced and with fresh goats curd. A stunner of a dish.

John Hartley

Baked celeriac must be an "in thing". We had it at In de Wulf (Dranouter, Belgium) last year - where it's wrapped in hay and then a salt crust to cook for 4 hours (they do it on a BBQ). It's served thinly sliced and with fresh goats curd. A stunner of a dish.

I've had celeriac like that a couple of times at the ledbury! I wonder who was first?

I've had celeriac like that a couple of times at the ledbury! I wonder who was first?

Recipe for salt crust celeraiac is in Eleven Madison Park book. I didn't realise how passé it was. I've only been put off from trying it because of the additional requirement for cups of truffle juice. Goats' curd sounds more accessible for my pocket.

I suspect l'Arpege in Paris

you don't win friends with salad

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

IMG_1873.JPG

Yesterday we were mostly eating small portions of food in the Development Kitchen at Restaurant Sat Bains.

The sun was beating down. The famous bunnies were in the garden. Sat and Amanda were in the office.

The very lovely Nanna Vestergaard cooked for us and head chef John Freeman popped his head through the door, but no Sat, he chose to ignore us.

Did I hit a nerve over their cancellation policy?

Considering that we were the only two diners at lunchtime in Lenton Lane at both the Chef,s and Development Kitchen is it too much to ask for a hello off the big man?

IMG_1918.JPG

IMG_1894.JPGIMG_1913.JPG

I took my normal array of photos but as always I check through and generally need a bit of time to rejig some of them.

Hopefully a report up as soon as I have a spare two or three hours.

"So many places, so little time"

http://londoncalling...blogspot.co.uk/

@d_goodfellow1

Why would you expect him to come and say hello?

Did you think that was part of the menu?

Maybe you should have complained that your

Experience was marred by the chefs lack of respect?

Maybe ask for a signed photo? ( I mean you David not Sat)

Good afternoon David,

Didn't know you were in boss, should of shouted me over if you saw me in the office,

I had a training session at 1.15pm so was running late, hence me dashing off

We have a brilliant team that look after our diners, so knew all our guests are in good hands, I started at 6.45am yesterday and it was the only time I could fit the gym in,

I know I don't need to justify myself, but there was no malice intended. Great pic of Biscuit by the way and Nanna said you had a very good time.

P.s stop pleading poverty too, I saw that Super-car you arrived in.... ha ha. v.jealous.

Sat, you may think your kitchen banter makes good reading and is funny, it may be in the kitchen but once in the public domain I can only tell you that it makes you look like a first class prick. Nearly every complaint on tripadvisor is related to service issues yet you feel the need to respond to every single one, why not let it be? The good reviews outweigh the bad ones by a decent margin but gradually you are eroding that with your constant jibes. Sure you'll claim that you have been vindicated now that you have two stars and I have no doubt that you deserve them but consider whether you would rather be a great chef with a good reputation or "that wanker that slags people off on trip advisor".

Have a guess which one your are at the moment. :hmmm:

Matthew I hope you don't object to me using your quote as to the "service issues" inherant at restaurant sat bains.

Your ability to aptly describe the problem with the said establishment is precise and to the point, and perhaps better than I could convey.

Thank you.

@d_goodfellow1

I do feel the need to clarify my above comments regarding "service issues".

Nanna, head chef John Freeman and the sommelier? were lovely, very friendly and professional and are a credit to their employers.

Unfortunately Sat Bains appears have taken offence to me personally, perhaps for comments that I have made on here.

He did see us, he stood ten metres away at the desk in reception, taking a phone call. We were sitting in the lounge, and the only two diners for lunch on the day. I looked over in his direction a number of times but he chose to blank us, for his own reasons.

I need to point out that we have spoken to him before, at some length, perhaps four years ago, on our last visit

I would have loved to have booked incognito. In fact this would have been by far the preferred route. We were certainly not looking for special treatment, far from it.

Having to give credit card details cancelled any opportunity to remain anonymous.

I am still considering whether or not to review our meal but because it takes so long for me to do it, it is offputting given the comments.

I have said it before and will say it again. The food is not everything in dining out, the whole package is the the most important thing.

If Michel Roux of the famous dynasty can take the time out to visit every table during service, why can't Sat Bains say hello to his only two customers on the day, whoever they are.

I rest my case.

Edited by david goodfellow (log)

@d_goodfellow1

I must say I always hope that the chef doesn't come out - I mostly find it an awkward situation: I cannot criticise as s/he will think I am an incompetent old fart (and quite right too!), and praise is tiring after a while, especially faint one.

So we end up asking boring technical questions. It's quite rare that we end up having a meaningful, relaxed conversation, and then for obvious reasons only when the restaurant is close to empty.

After we write our blog posts we remain anonymous (except for a couple of special circumstances, that both led anyway to unpleasant experiences) but we alert the restaurant to the post so that they can correct any factual mistake. Occasionally we get torrents of abuse and we wonder what would have happened had we made the criticism on the spot...

This is a long-winded way to say that in general, I like the idea that the communication between chef and customers should occur mainly through the dishes (and the f.o.h staff). :smile:

David I am still not sure why you would assume that the chef should come and speak to you? I spoke to Sat at length about 5 or 6 years ago, and I bet if I went in next week he would not know me from Adam (not you AJ). Would i be offended if he did not speak to me? No! I would be going there for the food and food alone.

It seems that you have expectations over and above what a chef is and does. In fact there appears to be some delusions regarding your own restaurant attending importance, you are like the rest of us someone who pays for food. We are only customers and it is only food.

There is no " special relationship", and maybe if you stop believing your own hype....... I also think that whether you post your review or not it will have no bearing on Sat or his business, so maybe pick up those toys that you have thrown out?

Maybe next time you are there forget all the formalities and ask him to step out round the back of the restaurant and sort it out like men should :laugh::biggrin:

IMG_1875.JPG

So, we were looking forward to our visit to RSB, but I have to admit to being slightly uneasy.

You see, I have locked horns with the proprietor on this site, on a number of occasions. Pricing, booking and cancellation policy at his restaurant, Tripadvisor reviews, even comments on my meals at Purnells (which I have just reviewed) have all been conducted, and sometimes in a heated manner.

As I post under my own fairly distinctive name I had hoped to slip below the radar, in case my forthright views impacted on the experience. However as has been pointed out above, full details have to be given at time of booking, including name of course.

We booked a week in advance with Amanda, who said that she would send a confirmation by e-mail. I did not get one. I emailed her again three days before arrival using their website contact email in case my email address had been misinterpreted. Still no confirmation. I then phoned the day before and spoke to Jade (restaurant manager) who confirmed our booking for two at 1.

Finding the restaurant is very difficult. My uber expensive sat nav gives three options. Lenton lane, Lenton. Lenton industrial estate, and a further Lenton industrial estate. We finally got the right one but it made us ten minutes late, arriving at 1.10.

The greeting was friendly and charming by Arpi? We sat about seven metres from the reception desk where Sat Bains was taking/ making a phone call.

We declined a drink, except for tap water as I was mindfull of being late (and driving) and without looking at the wine list asked Arpi to choose a bottle of white wine for us for under £30. The best he could do was £35. So we went with that.

We walked through a courtyard area to the development kitchen housed in what used to be a former office.

The first thing I will say is that even though the location of the restaurant leaves a lot to be desired, once inside it is very pleasant indeed.

The development kitchen is very cosy and the lovely Nanna Vertergaard is an ideal companion to while away two or three hours with. In fact I will happily state all of the staff that we interacted with were great. And because we were the only two diners in the kitchen it was ideal for us. Very much like having your own personal chef

IMG_1883.JPG.

It would be churlish of me to say that the food was any less than good to very good, certainly as good as any one Michelin starred meal that we have eaten this year. What we did not get however was any "wow". In other words, there were no stand out dishes as such. Furthermore as this is the development kitchen I was expecting perhaps a few "off piste" dishes, but according to my research what we got was the normal restaurant offering.

At two star level we were expecting a little more perhaps than was delivered, and portion size as can be judged by the above photo was meagre on a few dishes.

This is not our now style of food, a recent meal at The Ledbury delivered far more excitement.

Overall though, and for a special occasion we can recommend a visit.

There is a caveat.

Whatever you do though, do not criticise the restaurant or you may like I did, and others on Tripadvisor have, come in for a torrent of abuse. Some of it foul mouthed and not befitting of any business. Never mind one in the hospitality industry.

This achilles heal, no matter how good the food is, currently means that Restaurant Sat Bains will never ever reach the dignified heights of say Heston, Roux, Blanc, et al.

But do give it a try. Its a one off.

@d_goodfellow1

David - I nearly always agree with your assessments and thoroughly enjoy your reports. In this instance I think you've got the wrong end of the stick. I'm not going to elaborate, but suffice it to say, having lived in Notts for over 10 years, I've got to know Sat and the team pretty well. Yes, his responses are often dry, but his tongue is always firmly in cheek. I won't say any more because he can speak for himself. He's also fitter, taller and more toned than I... even if a large part of my indiscipline is his fault for over-feeding when I go there! ;-)

Speaking of which, I went last week and had some incredible dishes. At this level opinions, to a large extent, become subjective. The execution is always perfect, but that's why they're 2 star and others aren't. To give you fair credit, I think you kind of hinted at that. But please don't castigate them just because Sat was unable to say hello.

Right, despite earlier promises I've said way too much, but wine's involved! Thank God it's not Vat 209 gin from Mount St.Helena (in joke)! I'd be on a right waffle.

Marcus, mutual respect matey. There is precious little of it sometimes. :smile::wink:

As I have stated, there is nothing wrong with the food, it is very good, and I would be an idiot to say otherwise.

However, perhaps now that our eating out is becoming more and more frequent, the wow will perhaps happen less and less.

I would be genuinely interested in your comments on some of the dishes that you thought to be the best.

Did you eat this one?

IMG_1880.JPG

Or this one?

IMG_1895.JPG

Or this?

IMG_1901.JPG

@d_goodfellow1

There you go, take heed chefs if David enters your establishment say hello or else you may lose business or get demoted a star. You know he can make or break a restaurant. :blink:

You really do seem to be hurting by this snub Dave.

Yes, I actually could David. Beyond that I could even elaborate on how these things have involved and their garnishes changed (with the exception of the B&W dessert, that I've never seen). But I won't. It's so not fair David. Sat and Amanda are true professionals who I admire and respect very much. They know their product better than I dropping in to eat every 2/3 months or so. Message boards are all well and good but there comes a point when it's no longer your issue. And by that I mean mine.

PM or reach out to Sat privately David. Seriously, I think this is an overly public miscommunication that, at best, is very unfortunate.

Marcus, it's clear that Sat's sense of humour is somewhat quirky or dry as you describe it but his attitude on this site and on Trip advisor speaks volumes.

Good Customer care is an essential component in todays hospitality industry and unfortunately Sat doesn't seem to know the meaning of the word.

There was a time he was on my list of "to try" but no longer.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I see Sat's book is out, great title!

If it is anything like the other books from the stable it should be good (they did Andrew Pern's and James Mackenzie's books too).

http://www.facepublications.com/our-books/too-many-chiefs-only-one-indian-sat-bains/?utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Sat+Bains+debut+book+out+now&utm_content=Sat+Bains+debut+book+out+now+CID_fe87c5191599f88a6c0d31c3538a4107&utm_source=&utm_term=Buy+now

If it is anything like the other books from the stable it should be good (they did Andrew Pern's and James Mackenzie's books too).

http://www.facepubli...tm_term=Buy now

Oh thats interesting. Didn't realise it was the same shop as the Star! Which presumably means it will be exquisite, pricey and damn near impossible to track down at retail! :-p

Still kicking myself for not pre-ordering on Amazon when they were listing it at thirty quid! :-x

J

More Cookbooks than Sense - my new Cookbook blog!

http://www.facepubli...tm_term=Buy now

Oh thats interesting. Didn't realise it was the same shop as the Star! Which presumably means it will be exquisite, pricey and damn near impossible to track down at retail! :-p

Still kicking myself for not pre-ordering on Amazon when they were listing it at thirty quid! :-x

J

Yes that would have been a good price!

The've managed a nice bit of disintermediation, rather than take the usual model of upfront advance and small royalty on the books sold at knock down prices , they self publish them so no advance but then get the full value of the book. (Well the others did so assume sat did too).

If you've got c1000 covers a week (as Star and P&G do) and/or high spenders on a special night out, a book makes a great momento and great biz for the restaurant, you can sell them quite nicely without having to give away big chunks to the supply chain (as long as you can afford the initial costs of production) and if Sat sells all his 10,000 first print run well you can 'do the math' !

I think Le Champignon books are self published too , but with someone else.

I got James's book direct from FACE very promptly.