• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Kitchen Remodeling

Dave Hatfield

Arne, you mean you can turn Shel's downstairs espresso bar office into a cow barn, then make me a kitchen? Totally cool!

Believe me, if we really do remodel, as opposed to move, I'll be calling on you.

Amazing. It took imagination to see this as a new kitchen.

No question there. Great job, I love the overall look and the details.

I would have one quibble with what is an amazing kitchen. I wouldn't like storing pantry items in drawers where I am looking down at the tops of bottles and boxes. I like storage for these items as in the earlier kitchens where you are looking head on and can tell what you have either by a pull-out or shallow shelves.

Would it be in keeping with the spirit of this conversation for me to include my kitchen that we did 16 years ago and we still love although the appliances need refurbishing. We wouldn't change any of our choices nor the layout (except for more space which there is no way to gain)

I would have one quibble with what is an amazing kitchen.

Great! I think you make a good point and I think that no matter how much we like the various kitchens that have been shown a little healthy criticism will get everyone going a bit.

Mi casa, su casa may be true, but my kitchen, your kitchen isn't. We're all different when it comes to something as important as a kitchen. The more ideas the better I say.

Would it be in keeping with the spirit of this conversation for me to include my kitchen that we did 16 years ago and we still love although the appliances need refurbishing. We wouldn't change any of our choices nor the layout (except for more space which there is no way to gain)

I for one would love to see it!

When I started this thread I put in the 'remodeling' to attract attention & to encourage participation.

I would love to see a collection of kitchens of any age, the more kitchens, the more great ideas we all share.

Have at it :biggrin: The sooner the better.

I would have one quibble with what is an amazing kitchen.

Great! I think you make a good point and I think that no matter how much we like the various kitchens that have been shown a little healthy criticism will get everyone going a bit.

Mi casa, su casa may be true, but my kitchen, your kitchen isn't. We're all different when it comes to something as important as a kitchen. The more ideas the better I say.

I for one would love to see it!

When I started this thread I put in the 'remodeling' to attract attention & to encourage participation.

I would love to see a collection of kitchens of any age, the more kitchens, the more great ideas we all share.

Have at it :biggrin: The sooner the better.

Okay, I'll get some pictures tonight. I love kitchen renovation! I have done two and wish I could do one more, our country house. I'm afraid the wonderful barn and riding arena we built and the renovation we've already done in the house will preclude that until I'm too old to care about cooking.

I'm afraid the wonderful barn and riding arena we built and the renovation we've already done in the house will preclude that until I'm too old to care about cooking.

Never too old for cooking! I'm 69 & enjoy cooking more than ever (we did our latest kitchen renovation, our 4th when I was 67). Having the time to do it helps as does an appreciative lot of eaters; like Linda & our friends.

Looking forward to the pictures.

• 2 weeks later...

A confession. Due to various circumstances I have yet to get over & photograph my next kitchen. I promise I will, but..

We're leaving for a three week trip to the UK so I won't be able to get it done until our return. I'm hoping that the kitchen where we're staying (a thatched cottage on a house swap) may be worth doing. I hope so. It has an AGA.

In the meantime it would be great to see some other kitchens. I'll look forward to viewing them when I get back.

• 4 weeks later...

Ok, back now & a little disappointed not to see more activity in this thread.

No matter. I've arranged to take the pictures of my next kitchen next Wednesday. This one is purpose built for a friend who runs a small cooking school. Now that I think of it maybe I'll do the school kitchen & her older 'regular kitchen.

Ok, back now & a little disappointed not to see more activity in this thread.

No matter. I've arranged to take the pictures of my next kitchen next Wednesday. This one is purpose built for a friend who runs a small cooking school. Now that I think of it maybe I'll do the school kitchen & her older 'regular kitchen.

Sorry Dave, every time my camera has been available, the kitchen has been a mess. However, I'll try to add my kitchen later today. I've so enjoyed seeing all the pictures you've taken. Looks like a kitchen refresh is in our future since our appliances are showing their age. So I'll be even more interested in comments than I was when I first, proudly, offered to take pictures.

Bliss

My kitchen renovation starts in two weeks, so I'll try to add some pictures when it's done.!

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

I broke up with my cabinet guy this week, and I'm still a little depressed. I knew this was going along too well to be true! Now, the drawings go out to a custom maker and we'll see who can help us meet deadlines.

All my materials are chosen, appliance schedules checked and double checked, vendors selected and prices locked in, permits are in hand, blah blah blah, and now this. The contractor took pity on me and agreed to do the outdoors now, so we can have our hot tub in by the first snowfall.

I'm sad, but it was for the best.

"Oh, tuna. Tuna, tuna, tuna." -Andy Bernard, The Office

Sorry to hear about everyone's problems. Hopefully they'll all sort themselves out without too many tears and a good outcome - eventually!

Maybe we should trade kitchen remodel horror stories? I suspect there are more of those out there than stories of smooth dailing through the process.

Anybody want to start?

Hi Dave. I am in the middle of a remodel of 1/2 of my kitchen. If it's ok with you I will post before pictures and then pictures during remodel to illustrate the problems encountered then the finished remodel illustrating the solutions as well as the finished kitchen.

I have already absoulutely gone OTT with the cost of the appliances only because I have lived with the kitchen I have for 30 years and I want what I want hang the cost.

"Flay your Suffolk bought-this-morning sole with organic hand-cracked pepper and blasted salt. Thrill each side for four minutes at torchmark haut. Interrogate a lemon. Embarrass any tough roots from the samphire. Then bamboozle till it's al dente with that certain je ne sais quoi."

Arabella Weir as Minty Marchmont - Posh Nosh

Maybe we should trade kitchen remodel horror stories? I suspect there are more of those out there than stories of smooth dailing through the process.

Since I do this for a living, I hear many horror stories. Of course, none of them involve my firm (or at least were not my fault) :rolleyes:

The only real "horror" that comes to mind was a client who had selected a specific granite for her kitchen countertops. When time came to fabricate the counters, we discovered the granite yard had neglected to reserve the slabs for the client and had sold the last to somebody else. No worries, the next shipment would be coming in in a couple weeks from Saudi Arabia.

Unfortunately nobody told the Generals behind "Dessert Storm" that we were waiting for granite. The ports in that area were shut up tight, and nothing would be coming for a long while. The entire colour scheme of the kitchen was based on the granite (aptly named "Dessert Eyes") so changing the colour was not an option for the client. 10 weeks later the granite finally arrived.

To this day, I check with the US State Department before ordering granite from the Middle East :laugh:

A.

Well, we are in process of a very major kitchen remodel. We have gutted an old "florida" room addition that was attached to the rear of our smallish (9 x 16) kitchen. When complete, the entire room will be 21 x 16. A good chunk of it is given over to an eat in area, but I'll still have room for many square feet of additional countertop and a 7' maple work table. Now for the even better part... my equipment! (my, that didn't quite come out right, did it?)

I have, ready to install, 1) a Victory 49 cu. ft, top mount, solid stainless fridge, with double doors. 2) a Duke full size, bakery depth, commercial convection oven with glass french doors 3) A 36" Bluestar rangetop, 6 burner. 4) interchangeable gas 12" char grille and flattop griddle from Garland. 5) 72", two hole, right drain, commercial sink with prerinse sprayer. 6) Ventilation for all of it.

In the works: a brick bread oven. Alas, outdoor, since code requirements are too extensive to stickit thru the wall

Pictures coming! Is there enough interest in this project to warrant a topic of it's own?

Bigcat39, aka Bill :smile:

Hi,

I actually put these pictures in my foodblog but I thought it'd fit here too. This is not my house, it belongs to my host family. The house was formally a butchershop (late 1600s- probably 1980s). Until August last year, it belonged to a family of butchers but it hasn't been in operation for the last 30 years or so. The entire house (before my host family did it last year that is) hasn't been renovated for the last 100+ years .

The Before Picture

gallery_28660_3809_150846.jpg

After

gallery_28660_3809_10773.jpg

You can't really see it but the walls have been repainted silver . It's messy because I hadn't had time to clean up yet.

I so enjoyed this thread. It's inspired creativity. I would very much like to have vertical storage for platters, baking sheets, etc, and havent been able to figure where to shoe-horn it in. For some reason, chatting with the Tenor about the current ?fad? for "boxing in" refrigerators lead us to brainstorm the solution for our kitchen. Ta!

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.

Hi,

I actually put these pictures in my foodblog but I thought it'd fit here too. This is not my house, it belongs to my host family. The house was formally a butchershop (late 1600s- probably 1980s). Until August last year, it belonged to a family of butchers but it hasn't been in operation for the last 30 years or so. The entire house (before my host family did it last year that is) hasn't been renovated for the last 100+ years .

The Before Picture

gallery_28660_3809_150846.jpg

After

gallery_28660_3809_10773.jpg

You can't really see it but the walls have been repainted silver . It's messy because I hadn't had time to clean up yet.

I gotta ask, What is the appliance on the right on the wall?

Its got me stuped. World's lagest pressure cooker?

Here we are, another kitchen. We went over to our friend Anne Dyson's in Ambyrac yesterday for lunch and to photograph her new kitchen. The fact that I'm giving you Anne's name & location which I didn't do with my other kitchen posts deserves an explanation.

But first - an aperitif! This is France after all.

gallery_22910_3822_14925.jpg

A nice dry palomino sherry.

The reason why Anne is mentioned by name is that she runs a cooking school so wants people to know her name & where she is. The name of her school is Greedygoose. And you will find her website at: this location

Here is THE Greedygoose!

gallery_22910_3822_39332.jpg

Anne is English, has lived in France for many years is a retired school headmistress and a superb cook & teacher. In addition to the school you can stay in one of Anne's bedrooms on a B&B basis or rent a lovely apartment or rent the separate gite. For details of these accomodations go to her other website.

Given that background let's have a look at the kitchen Anne had purpose built for her cookery school.

gallery_22910_3822_37021.jpg

As you enter the kitchen from the patio the cookbook library is immediately to your left. Haven't counted them, but its a pretty good selection.

gallery_22910_3822_3927.jpg

Also to your left & ahead is the secondary cooking station with cooktop, sink & dishwasher. (NOTE: If things seem a bit cluttered its because Anne was cooking lunch while we taking the pictures; more fun that way. )

gallery_22910_3822_12220.jpg

Here's that dishwasher I mentioned. Catch the vertical storage to the right. Door leads to big larder/ laundry room.

As you turn right & look down the kitchen you see the huge long table down the center which serves for studying & note taking. Prep work, lounging and of course eating your results.

gallery_22910_3822_13128.jpg

I wasn't able to get all of the table in.

On the left of the long side are the fridge, wall ovens & main sink plus a second dishwasher.

gallery_22910_3822_8286.jpg

Another view of the fridge & wall ovens.

gallery_22910_3822_3703.jpg

You probably can't read the name, but these are both Meile full size ovens.

You know what's coming next, don't you? Yep another of those killer French stoves. A La Canche is this time.

gallery_22910_3822_20500.jpg

This one has an induction hob. (Anne couldn't get gas into the house.) 6 plates & 2 more ovens.

gallery_22910_3822_18880.jpg

The big sink & main prep area.

All in all this is a terrific kitchen & is admirably designed to teaching. I've talked to a number of students who raved about the kitchen & we're even happier what what they had learned.

Finally, when it all gets a bit too hectic you walk out the door to this

gallery_22910_3822_29017.jpg

Oh! can't finish without telling what we had for lunch.

We started with various nibbles the most interesting of which was hard boiled quails eggs with roasted cumin & salt to dip them in.

Our entree was homemade ravioli stuffed with spinich & riccotta served with a wild mushroom sauce.

The plat was baked tenderloin of pork stuffed with Agen prunes & small baked potatoes that had been rubbed with foie gras oil. (butter?)

Our salad had a light vinagrette dressing with endive, lettuce & orange slices.

A nice selection of cheeses. There was a bouchon de Chevre that was especially nice.

Dessert was individual lemon tartes (the pastry was superb) and, if you had room panacotta.

Its wonderful to have friends like this!

Beautiful kitchen! Love the lacanche (jealous, jealous)... and since my new kitchen (when it happens, more on that later) is designed for teaching as well, I'm very interested in what others are doing, who also teach.

Great news: My deck is being redone as we speak! The old lumber is off and the pad for the hot tub is being framed right now. Supports are being drilled into the rock outcroppings, and epe (epay?) will arrive early next week to be custom-fit into the layout.

Also great: We should have cabinetry bids in by the end of next week, as well as an answer from the company we originally hired to do the cabinetry (we may need to go to court to recoup money ... it's up to them). Anyone ever seen, or used, bamboo for kitchen cabinets?

I guess I really should get a web page up for showing what's happening, now that I have something to show.

Doing the happy dance, here!

Fabby

"Oh, tuna. Tuna, tuna, tuna." -Andy Bernard, The Office

Anyone ever seen, or used, bamboo for kitchen cabinets?

While I use bamboo primarily for flooring, I have seen it used for cabinetry. It has of course a very distinctive look, and as far as I know is only available in a "slab" door-style (i.e. no raised panel doors).

Was there anything in particular you wanted to know about it?

A.

Nice report! How many students can work comfortably in Anne's kitchen?

Anne limits the number to 6 which is very comfortable.

I think that 8 would still work well in space terms. Anne feels she can't give the individual attention she wants to more than six.