• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

CentralMA

CentralMA

boiled, not spoiled. threads, not treads. under counter, not undercounted. I hate autocorrect.

6 hours ago, dtremit said:

I tried this years ago (using a purpose-built extension kit), and could never get the soap pump to actually pull soap up from the bottle. Was there any trick in priming the pump to get it to work the first time?

I took the soap dispenser head (pump) to a big box home improvement store, found where they sold the clear vinyl tubing, they sell in 10 foot length blister packs in the plumbing department. I do not remember the actual inside diameter I purchased, but I was able to test fit the intake on the pump to the tubing. It would not slip on, but it was close. Purchased, got home, placed end of tubing in just boiled water for 20 seconds or so then forced it on the pump. Cooled down it wouldn't budge, I figured that was a success.

Cut it to the needed length, drilled a hole in the top of the Dawn bottle to just fit the outside diameter of the tubing, dropped it to the bottom. Poked another 1/8" hole up very close to the threads on the Dawn bottle so that the pumps would not created a vacuum. 

It does work for me, but I do not get a "force" of dishwashing liquid ejecting from the pump on each push. That's OK for me, a few pumps gives just enough, doesn't waste it like I would in the past.

I can also say that the pump I'm using is not a Delta product, it did not come with the faucet. It was also purchased for  big box store.

But it works. I just looked at the soap container, it's been in use just about 6 months now, nearing half used. It's not quite a gallon container, maybe 40 ounces or so? It's probably saved me filling that tiny under counter bottle at least 4 or 5 times? Saved me a lot of soap too, I'd never take the bottle out from under, I'd try to fill from above with a funnel, guessing what looked about right. Always a flood of dish detergent wasted.  

CentralMA

CentralMA

boiled, not spoiled. threads, not treads. undercounted, not undercounted. I hate autocorrect.

I tried this years ago (using a purpose-built extension kit), and could never get the soap pump to actually pull soap up from the bottle. Was there any trick in priming the pump to get it to work the first time?

I took the soap dispenser head (pump) to a big box home improvement store, found where they sold the clear vinyl tubing, they sell in 10 foot length blister packs in the plumbing department. I do not remember the actual inside diameter I purchased, but I was able to test fit the intake on the pump to the tubing. It would not slip on, but it was close. Purchased, got home, placed end of tubing in just boiled water for 20 seconds or so then forced it on the pump. Cooled down it wouldn't budge, I figured that was a success.

Cut it to the needed length, drilled a hole in the top of the Dawn bottle to just fit the outside diameter of the tubing, dropped it to the bottom. Poked another 1/8" hole up very close to the threads on the Dawn bottle so that the pumps would not created a vacuum. 

It does work for me, but I do not get a "force" of dishwashing liquid ejecting from the pump on each push. That's OK for me, a few pumps gives just enough, doesn't waste it like I would in the past.

I can also say that the pump I'm using is not a Delta product, it did not come with the faucet. It was also purchased for  big box store.

But it works. I just looked at the soap container, it's been in use just about 6 months now, nearing half used. It's not quite a gallon container, maybe 40 ounces or so? It's probably saved me filling that tiny undercounter bottle at least 4 or 5 times? Saved me a lot of soap too, I'd never take the bottle out from under, I'd try to fill from above with a funnel, guessing what looked about right. Always a flood of dish detergent wasted.  

CentralMA

CentralMA

boiled, not spoiled. threads, not treads. undercounted, not undercounted. I hate autocorrect.

But it works. I just looked at the soap container, it's been in use just about 6 months now, nearing half used. It's not quite a gallon container, maybe 40 ounces or so? It's probably saved me filling that tiny undercounter bottle at least 4 or 5 times? Saved me a lot of soap too, I'd never take the bottle out from under, I'd try to fill from above with a funnel, guessing what looked about right. Always a flood of dish detergent wasted.  

CentralMA

CentralMA

boiled, not spoiled. I hate autocorrect.

But it works. I just looked at the soap container, it's been in use just about 6 months now, nearing half used. It's not quite a gallon container, maybe 40 ounces or so? It's probably saved me filling that tiny undercounted bottle at least 4 or 5 times? Saved me a lot of soap too, I'd never take the bottle out from under, I'd try to fill from above with a funnel, guessing what looked about right. Always a flood of dish detergent wasted.  

CentralMA

CentralMA

boiled, not spoiled. I hate autocorrect.

Cut it to the needed length, drilled a hole in the top of the Dawn bottle to just fit the outside diameter of the tubing, dropped it to the bottom. Poked another 1/8" hole up very close to the treads on the Dawn bottle so that the pumps would not created a vacuum. 

But it works. I just looked at the soap container, it's been in use just about 6 months now, nearing half used. It's not quite a gallon container, maybe 40 ounces or so? It's probably saved me filling that tiny undercounted bottle at least 4 or 5 times? Saved me a lot of soap too, I'd never take the bottle out from under, I'd try to fill from above with a funnel, guessing what looked about right. Always a flood of dish detergent wasted.  

CentralMA

CentralMA

5 hours ago, dtremit said:

I took the soap dispenser head (pump) to a big box home improvement store, found where they sold the clear vinyl tubing, they sell in 10 foot length blister packs in the plumbing department. I do not remember the actual inside diameter I purchased, but I was able to test fit the intake on the pump to the tubing. It would not slip on, but it was close. Purchased, got home, placed end of tubing in just spoiled water for 20 seconds or so then forced it on the pump. Cooled down it wouldn't budge, I figured that was a success.

Cut it to the needed length, drilled a hole in the top of the Dawn bottle to just fit the outside diameter of the tubing, dropped it to the bottom. Poked another 1/8" hole up very close to the treads on the Dawn bottle so that the pumps would not created a vacuum.