• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Gulf Coast Seafood Market- Alpharetta

All.

We were turned on to this place by greg_in_atl right here in EG. The fish is of the most amazing quality, hands down better than anything I've seen anywhere else and cheaper than Harry's & Whole Paycheck.

Below is a cut of his weekly mailing list. If you live in Alpharetta or near and eat fish, you owe it to yourself to check him out!

-Mike

Good Morning,

I'm expecting this to be a great week for fresh seafood and the weather

appears to be cooperating as well.  Below is a brief list of SOME of

the

products I expect to have in.  I will also likely have some additional

fish

that may not be listed.  Each morning, when I meet with a supplier, if

he

has just received some new fresh fish (and I like the looks of it), I

will

purchase that as well.  Feel free to check with me and see what

"surprise"

fish I may have gotten in.

Tuesday (1030 - 630): Snapper, Sea Bass, Flounder, Salmon, Cobia,

Shrimp,

Scallops, Crab Cakes, Crab legs, and more.

Wednesday (1030 - 630): Grouper, Mahi Mahi, Amberjack, lump Crab,

Oysters,

and more

Thursday (1030 - 630): #1 Tuna returns !!  Alaskan Halibut, Scallops,

and 3

more fresh fish choices..to be determined.  Crawfish orders are due by

1PM.

I received some excellent Stone Crab Claws last weekend.  I'll check on

their availability this week if anyone if interested.  The bad and

windy

weather this past week didn't do the live Blue Crabs any favors.  I

don't

expect any this week.  The Soft Shells were very good last week !!

I'll have another update on Thursday evening.

Thanks for your continued support.  Keep spreading the word and sharing

these emails.

Tom Wilder

Gulf Coast Seafood Market

4055 Old Milton Parkway

678-624-9997

-Mike & Andrea

• 2 weeks later...

Good stuff. Wife got me shrimp, red snapper, crabcakes and for the kids, salmon. Yep, extremely fresh, everything was good. It's tough to beat the crabcakes at $3.95, considering how much I pay for a crabcake sandwich at Oak Street Cafe. Not that Gulf Coast's is quite as good, but excellent nonetheless.

Nobody eats at that restaurant anymore. It's always too crowded.

---Yogi Berra

Thanks for the tip. Along those lines, I noticed a fish market on Roswell Rd in Sandy Springs, in a shopping center with a BB&T, Marshall's, and a Mexican restaurant (bout a block north of Trader Joe's, about a mile south of Abernathy). Has anyone tried this store?

Edited by Reignking (log)

Yes, I can continue to vouch for the seafood at Gulf Coast Seafood Market in Alpharetta; I frequent the place on a weekly basis.

In addition to having very fresh fish, Tom also manages to get some varieties not widely available in the Atlanta market -- stuff like: Triggerfish, Gulf Triple Tail, Cobia, some others I can't remember. It varies of course, but good for a change of pace.

He also often has #1 tuna that he will cut to order -- it's truly wonderful.

Glad you liked Pop, we have become weekly regulars and he delivers every time. Those e-mails go out twice weekly, just snag his card from the front and send him an "add me" note.

Greg, we've tried some of the area rares you mentioned, the Cobia is quickly becoming a favorite of mine. He's also able to get Stone Claws and crayfish sacks and soft shells....great place.

-Mike

-Mike & Andrea

• 7 months later...

bummer this....another independent bites the dust. First my butcher, now the fish market....

Good Afternoon,

After months of stressing, pondering, struggling with decisions, praying for major increases in sales etc...I've decided to close the market.  I'm currently planning to close it for good on Sunday, January 13th.  I  hope to be able to sell some of the equipment that I purchased new, just a couple years ago.  I'll list some of the equipment below if you are interested, or know of anyone who may be.  Thank you so much for you support and for helping me spread the word.  I just don't see things turning around quick enough to avoid going into further debt.  I look for the "retail" world to take a further hit in the 1st quarter of '08, and there is no way I could survive.

I had to close the market this week due to a family emergency in Florida.  I plan to return to Florida Sunday night, then be back in Georgia next Thursday night.

Good News:  I will be OPEN this weekend:

Fri & Sat: 1030 - 700

Sun: 1130 - 400

I am running a FRESH truck, both Friday and Saturday mornings.  I plan to continue to offer the FRESHEST SEAFOOD available these next 2 weekends.  I should have the "usuals" in for the weekend.  Anything specific you need, please let me know.

I likely will have the same schedule for next week as I did this week (Closed Mon-Thur, Open Fri-Sun).  I hope to be able to send another mail out early next week.

I'm not sure what I will do for a "job" in the future.  For the next few weeks, I will be back and forth between Georgia and Florida, to take assist with family matters...after that ?  Anyone hiring ???

I hope to see you this weekend.  Thanks again for your great support and for bringing me so many new friends.

Tom Wilder

Gulf Coast Seafood Market

4055 Old MIlton Parkway

678-624-9997

-Mike & Andrea

I went this morning and gave my thanks and sympathy.

His dad is very ill and required surgery. His mom has been ill for some time he told me.

He has some good mahi that we scarfed and I bought some frozen scallops.

Hate to see him go and he seems like a stand up guy. Next weekend he has everything for sale and lots of frozen goods from last week. He gave me a whale of a deal on the scallops.

If you guys can make it tomorrow or next weekend, let's see the guy off with some sense of closure. All his equipment is for sale as well.

And now I need another fishmonger! Drats!