• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Paella

LuckyGirl

Howdy from Cleveland.

I'll be in NYC in a few weeks.

I have most of my food shopping and dining stops planned but I'm having a hard time deciding on a place to have paella. I get mad cravings for saffron in the spring and this dish is my favorite way to satisfy that craving.

Would any of you please share your recs of places for this dish?

Given that what is "good' or "great" is usually subjective, could you tell me why you like your particular pick?

I am hoping to find a place that gets the rice on the bottom of the pan into a nice crust among other things.

While I'm asking, what are some fave places for dim sum. Am I correct in heading to Flushing for it?

TIA

Diane

Traditional Spanish food is one of the big voids in the New York dining scene. What there is, isn't very good -- the best is in no way outstanding. I wouldn't waste a meal here on it, when there's so much other stuff here that really is outstanding.

Edited by Sneakeater (log)

I think the paella at Boqueria is good and there is a form of paella at Washington Square that I have enjoyed. Never been to La National but always heard good things and the same for their new place Ostia.

I think a lot of people fail to recognize that paella is not a set dish, but can take many forms.

I'm with Sneak. Nobody does anything fantastic. La Nacional is ok. It's more of a scene, like you're in some poor spanish familiy's basement.

I've had better paella at Guantanamera, El Quijote and Fracesco's Centro Vasco with the latter two exceding due to assortmt of shellfish esp Lobster.

I've never been but "La Paella" in the E.Vlg might be a good call.

That wasn't chicken

La Paella is in the WV if I recall. it's not very good.

I much preferred La Nacional to El Quijote...haven't been to the other two.

La Nacional was the only one to get the crusted rice (with a risotto like blow-up from the broth) at the bottom of the pan....which is what the OP was specifically looking for.

paella is primarily about the rice...not the toppings (which can vary widely as RobinsonCuisine noted)

edit: it is in the EV.

Edited by Nathan (log)

Nah, it's on 9th btwn 2nd/3rd Ave and the ingredients (sinced their cooked with the rice) have everything to do with the flavor. I don't remember if Vasco or Quijote included the crusty bottom rice but I'll bet if you ask they'll oblige as it is common with such a dish.

That wasn't chicken

Diane, may I ask what your experience with paella is? If you have experienced the paellas of Valencia and Alicante you will most likely be very disappointed by the dish in NYC. If not, the ones mentioned will likely be satisfactory. While i do not believe they offer paella, I like Casa Mono for Spanish influenced food and though I haven't eaten there yet (I tried to once but it was too busy), Tia Pol is popular and has a good reputation for Spanish influenced food.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

Diane, may I ask what your experience with paella is? If you have experienced the paellas of Valencia and Alicante you will most likely be very disappointed by the dish in NYC. If not, the ones mentioned will likely be satisfactory. While i do not believe they offer paella, I like Casa Mono for Spanish influenced food and though I haven't eaten there yet (I tried to once but it was too busy), Tia Pol is popular and has a good reputation for Spanish influenced food.

That's a good question as it gauges how likely I am to be satisfied with the dish at some of the places mentioned.

I've only had paella a hand full of times and never at a Spanish restaurant. I've had it prepared by friends or in restaurant's that specialize in seafood.

As lacking as NYC may be for notable or exceptional Spanish cuisine, let me tell you, Cleveland has less (though Cleveland has so much to offer in other dining departments!).

I wouldn't waste a meal here on it, when there's so much other stuff here that really is outstanding.

Yep. I'm on the fence as to whether or not to include a Spanish dinner on our trip when there are so many other places of interest to us. We'll see.... it's that crazy craving thing....sometimes you've got to feed the beast.

rich Posted Yesterday, 01:26 PM

1000 Clove Road, Apt. 10C

What a tease!

Thanks to everyone for your input.

Casa Mano, Tia Pol are up for consideration for Spanish minus paella. La Nacioanal is on the top of the list for paella especially since Nathan noted they achieve the crispy crust I'm looking for.

So, is there any noteworthy Portuguese food around? Also, while I have your attention, what are the better places for dim sum? From what I've read, I should consider the places in Flushing?

Thanks again!

Oddly enough... the only decent paella I've ever had in NYC was at Cafe Iguana on W. 54th Street. They serve "nouveau Mexican" food but are more known for their downstairs night club and as an after-work cocktail hangout for singles who work in that part of town. I met up with a former co-worker for drinks there a few years back. We opted to stay for dinner. Being less than enthused about most of the menu options I chose their paella. It had the nice dry texture and socarrat that absolutely none fo the Portuguese, Spanish or Brazilian restaurants I've tried in NYC or Newark seem to achieve.

If you've experienced good paella in Spain or Portugal I'm sure this would disappoint and I can't speak for the rest of their menu (and it's been about five years since I ate there). But given the circumstances I was pleasantly surprised.

Owen has the answer tucked in his responce...Newark NJ. It should be easy to take a PATH train to Newark. I wouldnt know which one, but someone in the NY or NJ boards will.

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association