• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Camellia Grill

TAPrice

Driving down Carrollton Avenue last night, I saw a beautiful sight. The pink neon on the Camellia Grill was all lit up and glowing. A dumpster was still blocking the front door, but the gala opening is Friday. Those seats are being sold at auction, but I understand that us average folks will be let in the door Saturday.

Let's hope it's better than before, the staff returns, and they didn't clean the decades of grim off the griddles.

Post your reports on the new Camellia, or memories of the past, here.

Todd A. Price aka "TAPrice"

Homepage and writings; A Frolic of My Own (personal blog)

Can't wait to see if any of the old faces behind the counter have returned.....to have Marvin say "it's all good" when I order my burger with onions, bacon, and cheese. To get a piece of pecan pe warmed on the grill w/ syrup and a slight hint of grilled onions. Am also hoping that cloth napkins have returned!

Camellia Grill's opening was the lead item on the local news this morning. Tomorrow it opens to the public from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m.

I guess there won't be any late night pie for now. Surely they'll extend the hours soon.

The press release on Camellia Grill's reopening just landed in my inbox. Two major pieces of news:

Though not heavily damaged from the storm, Camellia Grill has undergone months of renovations. The building and equipment have been updated without changing the look and feel of the nearly 60 year old diner. Camellia Grill diners can still be seated at the counter with barstools in the same places. Because there are only 29 of those stools, those craving Camellia Grill fare should still plan to wait in the traditional line outside.

The biggest change at Camellia Grill will be the acceptance credit cards in addition to cash. While the traditional night hours of operation will not immediately return until additional staff can be added, Camellia Grill will be open from 8:00AM- 8:00PM.

Diehard Camellia Grill fans, will be pleased to know that the traditional white linen napkins, which had disappeared before Hurricane Katrina, will return.

That's right, you can pay with plastic (boo!) and the linen napkins are back (yeah!).

I had a cheeseburger & a mocha freeze for lunch today, and I feel 58% better about the City of New Orleans. (And I didn't even need a pollster to make that calculation, either.) Amazing how a cheeseburger can affect my quality of life, huh? The place looks great--new marble counters are nice, yet fit well with all of the old stuff still in evidence. The pay phone on the wall is gone, the cash register is electronic with a touch screen, but Marvin still gave me some dap before he took my order. Burger seemed larger, counterguys confirmed it. Bun was a little too large for the burger--Marvin says they're trying to get the size right. Coconut cream pie, apple pie, pecan pies looking all frosty in the mirrored cases, big pile of bacon on the side of the grill....I'm happier than I've been in 20 months!

• 1 month later...

Beautiful pic of some of the guys at Camellia Grill in the latest issue of Tulanian (Tulane's alumni mag). I seriously teared up, showed it to my 4yo and told her that she'd be going there on our next trip to New Orleans. I can almost taste the mocha freeze now...

Bridget Avila

My Blog

• 1 month later...

I payed the Camelli Grill a visit on my recent visit to N.O., great to see that they reopened! Here is my post with pics:

http://www.nolacuisine.com/2007/06/23/camellia-grill/

Beautiful pic of some of the guys at Camellia Grill in the latest issue of Tulanian (Tulane's alumni mag). I seriously teared up, showed it to my 4yo and told her that she'd be going there on our next trip to New Orleans. I can almost taste the mocha freeze now...

Beautiful pic of some of the guys at Camellia Grill in the latest issue of Tulanian (Tulane's alumni mag). I seriously teared up...

I got that issue too and had the same reaction. My Newcomb memories include many pecan waffles eaten at that counter.

-L