• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

SF and Napa Culinary MUSTS

cupcakequeen

btw, TFL was around before Jeanty...

as far as industry bars in the city, check out

R Bar

Eastside West (find out when Erik is going to be there)

Tommy's Mexican

Lucky 13

absinthe

Edited by dvs (log)

Hey -

How come none of you locals are shouting out for Zuni?

Overrated?

i love zuni and have to have at least one meal there every time i'm in san francisco. i've learned over the years, though, that it's not everybody's cup of tea. it's a certain kind of restaurant that doesn't seem to be as much appreciated in this country as it is other places--a restaurant that is not based on surprise and novelty, where the menu stays fairly stable but where the individual dishes are so special that you find yourself hankering for them. is there a more perfect dish than the house-cured anchovies with celery and parmesan? and of course the roast chicken? i've been going for 20 years. it's like old love versus new romance.

Edited by russ parsons (log)

Hey -

How come none of you locals are shouting out for Zuni?

Overrated?

i love zuni and have to have at least one meal there every time i'm in san francisco. i've learned over the years, though, that it's not everybody's cup of tea. it's a certain kind of restaurant that doesn't seem to be as much appreciated in this country as it is other places--a restaurant that is not based on surprise and novelty, where the menu stays fairly stable but where the individual dishes are so special that you find yourself hankering for them. is there a more perfect dish than the house-cured anchovies with celery and parmesan? and of course the roast chicken? i've been going for 20 years. it's like old love versus new romance.

I feel the same way about Zuni; I've been going there for about 15 years and I always thoroughly enjoy the food and the ambiance. In about 20 or 25 visits over the years I think there was only one instance where we felt the service and food was not up to their regular standards.

I"m a big fan of Quince and Delfina as well.

Edited by ludja (log)

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

But not under Thos Keller, was it?

the laundry started way back under Don and Sally Schmitt. TK took it over in 1994, as DVS points out. I don't think Jeanty started until 1998 or 99.

It's kind of amazing how recent the napa dining scene is. i remember when it was mustards and taylors.

But not under Thos Keller, was it?

the laundry started way back under Don and Sally Schmitt. TK took it over in 1994, as DVS points out. I don't think Jeanty started until 1998 or 99.

It's kind of amazing how recent the napa dining scene is. i remember when it was mustards and taylors.

jeanty opened in 98 :wink:

Zuni is a wonderful place to grab a bite in the afternoon. Maybe stop off for some oysters and a glass of wine or breakfast....that's how I've always enjoyed it best. The few times that I had dinner reservations, it's been less pleasurable, high tourist and "event" meal quotient. I always sit up front, at the bar or outside, never in the dining area.

No one has mentioned Myth, I had a great meal there about a year ago, has it fallen off?

I have been there twice in the past month and wrote it up here.

In fact, I am going back tomorrow evening because I want to show off fine San Francisco dining to a very special guest who is visiting from San Diego.

Interesting, thanks for the tip.

Myth is now back on my list for a return trip, now I just have to get to Incanto.

"A man's got to believe in something...I believe I'll have another drink." -W.C. Fields