• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Big Apple Barbecue Block Party 2007

Fat Guy

This year's Big Apple Barbecue Block Party will be on 9 and 10 June 2007. For complete details please see the calendar entry.

Please use this topic for food-related discussion pertaining to the Big Apple Barbecue Block Party, past, present and future.

For past coverage, please see the following topics:

Big Apple Barbecue Block Party 2003

"Live" from the Big Apple Barbecue Block Party '04

Big Apple Barbecue Block Party '05

2006 Big Apple BBQ Block Party: let the drooling commence

And don't forget:

The official eG TV Big Apple Barbecue Video Foodcast

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Can't wait to go. Anybody know how to get the AMEX VIP tickets?

I don't see how they're really VIP tickets, though! The AMEX FastPass is $100 for $100 worth of BBQ. The normal FastPass is $100 for $84 worth of food. And the wording leads me to believe that both FastPasses will be in the same line? At least it's a punch card this year.

I'm also a little worried that I see Brother Jimmy's BBQ on the list of Pitmasters. But at least they'll be holding the seminars on site.

Edited by kathryn (log)
"I'll put anything in my mouth twice." -- Ulterior Epicure

Am I the only person who's a little "over" the BABBP? I'd absolutely be up for going down there again if I had any sense that I'd be able to buy a Bubba Pass and not have to wait in interminable lines -- but even the VIP side was clogged up last year. And, as much as I love barbecue, waiting in line for 45 minutes to get a plate of pulled pork is losing some of its allure. Granted, I don't entirely understand the economics of the thing, but the best the express side ever worked was the day the retail machines broke and they simply handed out food to anyone on that side who asked. Unless they predict that this would ruin the financials, I don't see why they don't do this again. There's no reason people who spend a hundred bucks for special access to express lines should have to wait more than 5 minutes for a plate of barbecue.

--

I went to only one Block Party, a few years ago, and without a Bubba Pass. I just left. There was no way I was going to wait that long for plates of food that take mere minutes to consume.

If there are 45-minute waits even with the Bubba Pass, I personally wouldn't even consider going to this.

The event has become too big, too popular, and is never executed well enough because there's no opportunity for rehearsal. These are the facts.

At the same time, several of the greatest barbecue pitmasters (Chris Lilly! Mike Mills! Ed Mitchell!) will be in New York City for two days only, serving their barbecue. If that's not worth a hundred bucks and a few hours to someone, that's certainly understandable. But it's worth it to a lot of folks -- thus the lines.

Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

At the same time, several of the greatest barbecue pitmasters (Chris Lilly! Mike Mills! Ed Mitchell!) will be in New York City for two days only, serving their barbecue. If that's not worth a hundred bucks and a few hours to someone, that's certainly understandable. But it's worth it to a lot of folks -- thus the lines.

Exactly. I suppose I'm less enthusiastic about it (although, of course, I may go anyway) because a) I am in Texas and North Carolina multiple times a year, and b) I've already been to the last 4 BABBP events. If I were a first timer who didn't already have pretty regular access to excellent Q, I might feel differently.

But, realistically, let's figure one Bubba Fast Pass and two people waiting in different VIP lines coordinating by telephone. Let's further assume that these two people aren't interested in buying barbecue from any of the NYC establishments. That leaves about 8 pits they might like to try. We're talking, then, about paying a hundred bucks to wait in line for something like 3 hours per person (this does not include time spent actually eating the food). Or, of course, they could wait in line together for 45 minutes and spend their hundred bucks at Mitchell's -- which wouldn't be a bad plan.

--

• 1 month later...
i just hope that it's pouring rain...then I'll go.

Took the words out of my mouth!

I had a great time last year - no Bubba Pass - and got served faster than the Bubbas. Hmmmm . . . I don't know . . . maybe I just had a New Yorker's gift for picking the fastest moving or shortest lines . . .

I'll be there Saturday . . .! :biggrin:

At least it's a punch card this year.

I think that this is the key. Last year's fast pass lines were held up tremendously due to computer errors at the check-out counter. Perhaps if they can eliminate that part things will flow much more smoothly for fast-pass holders.

At least that's what this pass holder is hoping! :biggrin:

Another nice thing about getting the pass is that it's good for merchandise as well as food. There are several items of interest that any of that left-over card money can be used for. I like to sample some of the sauces and spice rubs. There are also books available for home enthusiasts.

In all, it's a great event. Just not for the impatient because of the crowds.

Edited by hitmanoo (log)

Blessed are those who engage in lively conversation with the helplessly mute, for they shall be called, "Dentists." (anonymous)

Life is too short for bad Caesar Salad. (Me)

Why would you poison yourself by eating a non-organic apple? (HL)

I think that this is the key.  Last year's fast pass lines were held up tremendously due to computer errors at the check-out counter.  Perhaps if they can eliminate that part things will flow much more smoothly for fast-pass holders. 

Another nice thing about getting the pass is that it's good for merchandise as well as food.  There are several items of interest that any of that left-over card money can be used for.  I like to sample some of the sauces and spice rubs.  There are also books available for home enthusiasts.

In all, it's a great event.  Just not for the impatient because of the crowds.

I'm hoping so too! But it's a pretty stiff, thick plastic card so do they have hand punchers? Or machine ones? And I'm wondering how the punch card will work for merchandise -- what if your total when paying is not a multiple of $7 or whatever? Same goes for seminars.

Last year, I used up the money I had leftover on Blue Smoke Magic Dust. The stuff is addictive, especially on popcorn.

I think that this is the key.  Last year's fast pass lines were held up tremendously due to computer errors at the check-out counter.  Perhaps if they can eliminate that part things will flow much more smoothly for fast-pass holders. 

Another nice thing about getting the pass is that it's good for merchandise as well as food.  There are several items of interest that any of that left-over card money can be used for.  I like to sample some of the sauces and spice rubs.  There are also books available for home enthusiasts.

In all, it's a great event.  Just not for the impatient because of the crowds.

I'm hoping so too! But it's a pretty stiff, thick plastic card so do they have hand punchers? Or machine ones? And I'm wondering how the punch card will work for merchandise -- what if your total when paying is not a multiple of $7 or whatever? Same goes for seminars.

Last year, I used up the money I had leftover on Blue Smoke Magic Dust. The stuff is addictive, especially on popcorn.

On popcorn?!? I never considered that. Don't knock it till you try it, I suppose.

I would think they'd have some kind of hand hole puncher for the cards. I'd also assume that everything sold is some kind of even dollar multiple to make the process as smooth as possible.

Blessed are those who engage in lively conversation with the helplessly mute, for they shall be called, "Dentists." (anonymous)

Life is too short for bad Caesar Salad. (Me)

Why would you poison yourself by eating a non-organic apple? (HL)

On popcorn?!?  I never considered that.  Don't knock it till you try it, I suppose.

I would think they'd have some kind of hand hole puncher for the cards.  I'd also assume that everything sold is some kind of even dollar multiple to make the process as smooth as possible.

Does anyone know what time the pitmasters will be open for business? I seem to recall that noon-ish was kick-off time, but I could have been delirious from all that good 'cue . . .

Does anyone know what time the pitmasters will be open for business?  I seem to recall that noon-ish was kick-off time, but I could have been delirious from all that good 'cue . . .

The web site indicates that hours are noon to 6pm each day.

But it's a pretty stiff, thick plastic card so do they have hand punchers? Or machine ones? And I'm wondering how the punch card will work for merchandise -- what if your total when paying is not a multiple of $7 or whatever?

permanent marker can cross out the dollar amounts, which are in eight, four and two dollar increments.

It looks like a good seminar lineup this year. There's an up-to-date schedule on the Big Apple Barbecue website, where you can also purchase tickets.

One nice thing is that this year they've moved the seminars back to the main event site, in a seminar tent. I've heard that several of them are nearly sold out, so now is the time to act -- there are only 100 tickets available for each event.

I wish I could go to all of the seminars, but that wouldn't leave any time for eating barbecue!

The ones I'm planning to attend are:

On Saturday, the 6pm tasting with Danny Meyer, "Barbecued Baloney, Bourbon and Beer." Not only does it look like the best event of the day, but also the 6pm time doesn't conflict with the noon-til-six Big Apple Barbecue hours.

On Sunday at 1pm, "Beyond Barbecue" looks likely to be the best barbecue presentation of the weekend, with Lolis Eric Elie, Ed Levine and Jeffrey Steingarten, moderated by John T. Edge.

And I'll also be at the panel discussion I'm moderating (this will be my third year as a seminar participant at the event), the last one of the weekend, at 4:15pm Sunday: "Authentic or Ethnic," with Jessica Harris, Peter Kaminsky, Joan Nathan. This isn't a barbecue panel as such, but rather represents a decision by the event organizers to expand the seminars' reach beyond traditional barbecue and Southern food topics.

It looks like they have already started to setup, check it out here.

John Deragon

foodblog 1 / 2

--

I feel sorry for people that don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day -- Dean Martin

I thought I read somewhere that Ed Mitchell had retired. If so, this may be one of the few remaining places where you can get some of his legendary 'cue. That alone might be worth the price of admission.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Especially since admission is free!

I'll try to hunt Ed Mitchell down this afternoon and see what his plans are.

Here we go again! Man, you guys are lucky. Looking forward to another year of top-notch coverage. And thank you Johnder for the webcam link.

"I took the habit of asking Pierre to bring me whatever looks good today and he would bring out the most wonderful things," - bleudauvergne

foodblogs: Dining Downeast I - Dining Downeast II

Portland Food Map.com

I thought I read somewhere that Ed Mitchell had retired.  If so, this may be one of the few remaining places where you can get some of his legendary 'cue.  That alone might be worth the price of admission.

I have been informed that this restaurant in Wilson, NC is closed. And their web site mitchellsbbq.com appears to be offline.

I did find this news article about a lawsuit:

Ed Mitchell and Erader Mills have filed a racial discrimination suit against their bank claiming they were shut down, in part, because Mitchell's Barbecue Ribs & Chicken was not part "of the white BBQ establishment in Wilson."

I have been informed that this restaurant in Wilson, NC is closed. And their web site mitchellsbbq.com appears to be offline. 

I did find this news article about a lawsuit:

Ed Mitchell and Erader Mills have filed a racial discrimination suit against their bank claiming they were shut down, in part, because Mitchell's Barbecue Ribs & Chicken was not part "of the white BBQ establishment in Wilson."

Bummer! I better get my butt into the Mitchell line ASAP, before the final passing of BBQ greatness! And Bob Gibson will be right behind . . .

Looks like everybody is either on Madison Ave between 23rd and 26th, or 26th Street betwen 5th Avenue and Madison this year, so each vendor is hugging the edge of the park. And the annex of E. 25th St between Madison and Park is proably gonna be for drinks? I also saw Snapple vending machines on the corners of the park.

I'm a big nerd and walked around, taking notes. Here's my cleaned up diagram (it's big):

http://forums.egullet.org/uploads/11812930...7_4747_6551.jpg

Edited by kathryn (log)