• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fast Food Breakfast

Toliver

My wedding day breakfast was an Egg McMuffin and a carton of milk. I normally don't do fast food, but we had a 2-for-1 coupon.

Karen C.

"Oh, suddenly life’s fun, suddenly there’s a reason to get up in the morning – it’s called bacon!" - Sookie St. James

Travelogue: Ten days in Tuscany

Ooh, I forgot about the hash browns. We had that too. We still laugh about our "romantic" breakfast, and say it's a story we can tell our grand-neices and nephews.

Karen C.

"Oh, suddenly life’s fun, suddenly there’s a reason to get up in the morning – it’s called bacon!" - Sookie St. James

Travelogue: Ten days in Tuscany

If we are discussing "fast food, vs. fastfood" breakfast, you know, drive-up ready made, and fast to the table; my all time #1 favorite is...........(drumroll please)....Pho soup with everything in it, all the things i can't pronounce but love! I don't know why, but I Crave Pho in the mornings, bits of chewy tripe and gooey tendon, rich meaty, herby broth......yuuuuummmmmmmmmmyyyyyy! Now Thats an Awsome breakfast, and doesn't come much faster! Eating it, however, may take a loooonnnngg savoring time. :wink:

Brenda

I whistfully mentioned how I missed sushi. Truly horrified, she told me "you city folk eat the strangest things!", and offered me a freshly fried chitterling!

• 2 weeks later...
I too am guilty of liking the McDonald's Sausage McMuffin - but no egg for me. I just want the sausage, cheese and bread.....guilty pleasure which I don't have very often.....but once in a while.......... :biggrin:

That's pretty much the only fast-food breakfast item I ever get. Sometimes I'll grab one with an egg, but most often straight.

Shel

... Shel

• 3 months later...

Oh. My. God.

Hardee's New Breakfast Mega-Burrito

On Monday, CKE's Hardee's began serving its new Country Breakfast Burrito to the dismay of health nuts everywhere. The so-called breakfast sandwich contains bacon, sausage, ham, cheese, potatoes and gravy. With 920 calories and 60 grams of fat the sandwich accounts for approximately two-thirds of an average person's daily caloric intake, according to the U.S. government's Center for Nutrition Policy and Promotion.

St. Louis-based Hardee's makes no apologies for its new burrito. Marketing chief Brad Haley said: "The burrito offers the sort of big breakfast item normally found in sit-down restaurants with an added advantage. It makes this big country breakfast portable."

The emphasis in the quote is mine.

I think this is the breakfast burrito that could finally kill Homer Simpson. :laugh:

Has anyone tried it, yet...and lived to tell about it?

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Damn! Now I'm hungry! I've been faithful to my "One-Granny-Smith-Apple-in-the-morning" regime now for a year and now I'm drooling for a breakfast burrito. I like the sausage, egg & cheese McMuffin anf the McGriddle but the breakfast burrito or a good breakfast taco with hot sauce is the best. The hash brown puck & coffee at McD's are not that good I prefer BK's coffee & hash browns.

Guilty as charged.

I'm a lot of things; doctrinaire and puritanical are not among them.

As far as knowing too much about how it's produced goes, one can't forget that countless man-hours and tons of money go to the continual development and optimization of the fast food tractor beam. No one is safe.

I can resist it for the most part for a reason I'll get to in a minute, but every now and again McDonald's sucks me in for a sausage biscuit and two hashbrowns. It's especially tempting if I'm up visiting my family and feeling nostalgic for this treat from my childhood. What makes it the worst is the extent to which I feel like a hypocrite when I wash it down with coffee from the travel mug I fill as many as 4 times a day, after balling up the staggering amount of trash that had swaddled this insidious, sneaky little pleasure and stowing it anonymously in the nearest can. The worst is when all this happens while I'm tuning in to the headlines on the public radio, you know, because I care so much about the world. Booooo.

Every time is the last time. Until it happens again.

The sausage always disappoints me; it's mealy, greasy (go fig) and gross, never as good as I remember it. What's up with those milky, opaque chunks that are hard to chew? And the tiny red spots? Is that paprika? Hmmmm.

All this, but I eat it anyway.

The biscuits rule. I wish I could just get those with my hashbrowns.

My own breakfast Extra Value Meal: Carbs Two Ways.

Every time I eat this food, I feel like my entire digestive system is having a seizure. Can one build up one's tolerance to this stuff by eating it more frequently? Not that I'm planning on it; I'd be better off eating it on the toilet as it is.

"What was good enough yesterday may not be good enough today." - Thomas Keller

I love the Sausage Egg and Cheese McMuffin (does it usually come with cheese? I don't know - but I always order it with cheese). So bad, and yet, so good... I also like Jack-in-the-Box's Sourdough Breakfast Jack. My husband (who doesn't like eggs-that-you-can-taste-the-egg-in) LOVES their steak and egg breakfast burrito.

Misa

Sweet Misa

The thing I don't like about fast food breakfast menus, however, is that it's almost impossible now to get the regular food in the morning. It used to be that you could go to McDonald's whenever it was open and get fries. Now you have to wait until late morning. I love some of the 24-hour McDonald's places on the interstates out West, where you can get both menus all the time.

My husband and I complain about this all the time - he works nights and is very rarely in the mood for anything "breakfasty" while I'd like to be able to order breakfast food all the time. Jack-in-the-Box has it available all the time, but otherwise... I'm SOL. Even worse, around here, a lot of places (read: several McDonald's) have switched to 10:30 as being the cut-off time for breakfast. Grr.

Anyway, we've discussed it and decided that it's partially to save on training: when you have people who only work mornings, you don't have to teach them how to cook burgers and vice versa. (That and the universe hates us, we've decided. :raz: )

Misa

Sweet Misa

McDonald's.

Sausage biscuit.

No egg. No cheese. No hash browns. No muffin. No McGriddle. None of their frigging horrible coffee (I can get better coffee at Dunkin Donuts).

Sausage biscuit.

their sausage is peppery and juicy and yum, their biscuits flaky with just the right amount of grease for my palate.

I started this addiction when my best friend, the Goddess Coreen (join the cult! ask me how!) and I took a college class together at 7:30 am one summer. We'd meet at 6:30 in the McDonald's across the street from campus, drink buckets of coffee (at that time we didn't know coffee COULD taste better than the crap McDonald's was making) and plot our trouble scheme for the day.

I only have one now maybe once a year - my latest indulgence was in the Chicago airport while awaiting a flight to Wichita, Kansas in September - but they still taste great and they still flood my mind with college memories.

K

Basil endive parmesan shrimp live

Lobster hamster worchester muenster

Caviar radicchio snow pea scampi

Roquefort meat squirt blue beef red alert

Pork hocs side flank cantaloupe sheep shanks

Provolone flatbread goat's head soup

Gruyere cheese angelhair please

And a vichyssoise and a cabbage and a crawfish claws.

--"Johnny Saucep'n," by Moxy Früvous

I don't eat breakfast during the weekday often, and I can't recall the last time I had McDonalds for breakfast.

But the past three mornings, I've had McDonalds for breakfast.

On monday, I got to the office. Someone asked me if I wanted a McGriddle. Somone had bought a big bag of them, and they had one leftover. So, I took it.

On Tuesday and Wednesday, I actually walked to McDonalds (didn't drive through) and got a medium coffee and a small fruit and yogurt parfait. Now THAT is actually a decent, sensible breakfast. And costs $1.30 less than what I would normally spend on a coffee drink at Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf

Jeff Meeker, aka "jsmeeker"

I really like those fruit and yogurt parfaits, I stop sometimes

on my way to class and grab one. They make a perfect snack break, in school. My McD's always sells them with the berries frozen. A little difficult to eat immediately, but perfect after about 2 hours.

Edited by Lilija (log)

• 1 month later...

I had the new McSkillet Burrito from McDonald's this morning.

McMeh. :hmmm:

The description says there's cheese inside but it seems more like they're using Cheese Whiz. The sausage was spicy (not spicy hot, though) and the mild red salsa was innocuous. I ordered the combo which came with a hash brown patty and a drink. The hash brown patty was redundant since there are potatoes in the McSkillet Burrito ("Would the gentleman care for hash browns with his hash browns?").

I wouldn't order it again.

Tim Oliver

Mickey D's bacon egg cheese biscuit and a large coke. Standard order.

Here in the Northwest, Burgerville cheeseburgers for a change of pace. Gotta love a place that serves up a burger at 7 am. My saturday morning treat on the way to work. :wub:

Pamela Wilkinson

www.portlandfood.org

Life is a rush into the unknown. You can duck down and hope nothing hits you, or you can stand tall, show it your teeth and say "Dish it up, Baby, and don't skimp on the jalapeños."

Taco Bell used to serve a breakfast burrito that I loved, havn't been able to find it for a long time.  Have they all quit serving breakfast?

None of the Taco Bells in my area are open at breakfast time, nor have they ever been open at breakfast time. Were you in a test-market area, perhaps?

Ours are open in Portland but they don't serve breakfast like they did a few years back. When road construction gave me a detour on the way to work for a few months, I found that a bean burrito with sour cream and a large mountain dew make a suitable breakfast for me. Toss in a caramel empanada and I know my day is starting out right. :wink:

Edited by duckduck (log)

Pamela Wilkinson

www.portlandfood.org

Life is a rush into the unknown. You can duck down and hope nothing hits you, or you can stand tall, show it your teeth and say "Dish it up, Baby, and don't skimp on the jalapeños."

I've been cutting way back on fast food in recent months but one of my guilty pleasures is McDonald's sausage, egg & cheese mcmuffin. It's my hands down favorite breakfast of all the fast food joints.

• 1 month later...

I tried Carl's Jr's new Huevos Ranchero Breakfast Burrito this morning and give it a thumbs up. Where McDonald's McSkillet Burrito fails, this one seems to work.

Carl's Jr's menu page (Click on Breakfast>Huevos Ranchero Breakfast Burrito)

This is the description of the ingredients from the web site:

Scrambled Eggs, Refried Beans, Shredded Jack and Cheddar Cheeses,Crisp Tortilla Strips and Ranchero Sauce Wrapped in a Warm, Flour Tortilla.

It's a large burrito and is quite filling. It has a nice "mexican food" flavor which must come from the Ranchero Sauce. Surprisingly, it doesn't have any meat in it which seems to be going against most fast food trends these days. That said, either the crips tortilla strips in my burrito were left out, or had gotten soggy because there was no crunch with burrito making it a very soft filling/texture. I did ask for some of their salsa packets which I think don't normally come with this breakfast item (since it already contains the Ranchero Sauce). It's not the best packaged salsa in the world but was okay for my needs.

Carl's Jr. has been combining some franchises with The Green Burrito so this seems to be a natural pairing of the eggs and refired beans. However, the Carl's Jr. where I purchased this burrito was just a Carl's Jr. restaurant. This makes me wonder if more crossover menu items will show up at non-Green Burrito locations.

Has anyone else tried the new Huevos Ranchero Breakfast Burrito?

Tim Oliver

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not sure if this qualifies, because you actually have to get out of your car to obtain these ... but Panera Bread serves Baked Egg Souffles that are really delicious. My favorite is the bacon and spinach. But I don't like many of their breads.

If you are sticking to stuff that you can get through the car window, I don't think the Egg McMuffin is too bad.

My blog: Rah Cha Chow

I've been cutting way back on fast food in recent months but one of my guilty pleasures is McDonald's sausage, egg & cheese mcmuffin.  It's my hands down favorite breakfast of all the fast food joints.

I was just about to post that same comment (and probably if I look back upthread, I already have) - but the McD sausage, egg & cheese McMuffin is one of my great guilty pleasures too! Thank God I'm never around any McDonald's at the hours they serve it !!!!!!!

edited to say: and I was right; I said it in post #2 !!

Edited by markk (log)

Overheard at the Zabar’s prepared food counter in the 1970’s:

Woman (noticing a large bowl of cut fruit): “How much is the fruit salad?”

Counterman: “Three-ninety-eight a pound.”

Woman (incredulous, and loud): “THREE-NINETY EIGHT A POUND ????”

Counterman: “Who’s going to sit and cut fruit all day, lady… YOU?”

Newly updated: my online food photo extravaganza; cook-in/eat-out and photos from the 70's

Has anyone else tried the new Huevos Ranchero Breakfast Burrito?

Yeppers ! I tried it last week, and thought it was really good. Not as good as the breakfast burrito at my local "one-of" drive through, but for a chain, outstanding. But then I think Carl's Jr./Green Burrito in general is the best of the lot.

I'd buy it again.

--Roberta--

"Let's slip out of these wet clothes, and into a dry Martini" - Robert Benchley

Pierogi's eG Foodblog

My *outside* blog, "A Pound Of Yeast"

I'm not sure if this qualifies, because you actually have to get out of your car to obtain these ... but Panera Bread serves Baked Egg Souffles that are really delicious. My favorite is the bacon and spinach. But I don't like many of their breads.

If you are sticking to stuff that you can get through the car window, I don't think the Egg McMuffin is too bad.

I have been addicted to thier "cobblestones" ... like monkey bread in cupcake size....yum...

"I eat fat back, because bacon is too lean"

-overheard from a 105 year old man

"The only time to eat diet food is while waiting for the steak to cook" - Julia Child

I don't do fast food breakfast much, but when I do it's usually a McD's sausage biscuit. Tastes ok, filling and cheap. I don't ever eat at Hardees because every one I have ever been to has been incredibly slow (I actually had a car behind me in the drive thru overheat and blow up one long ago Halloween night :laugh: ). But it was on the correct side of the road for me not too long ago, so I got a sausage biscuit. What a revelation! The biscuit was actually good - fluffy in the middle, crisp on the outside! The sausage tasted like pork - a little spicy and juicy! I am hooked. I've tried them at a couple of different locations since then and they were as good as that one.