• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fast Food Breakfast

Toliver

I cannot imagine getting behind the wheel of a vehicle before breakfast.

This whole area of the world is so alien to me, I feel like it's science fiction.

It's nice to read about first-hand experiences, though, rather than simply watching it on TV.

Thank God for tea! What would the world do without tea? How did it exist? I am glad I was not born before tea!

- Sydney Smith, English clergyman & essayist, 1771-1845

I've said this in other threads here, but it's worth repeating: Dunkin Donuts sausage, egg and cheese on a croissant, with mayo and a large ice coffee. YUM! (Only on a croissant, though; their bagles are awful!)

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

I cannot imagine getting behind the wheel of a vehicle before breakfast.

This whole area of the world is so alien to me, I feel like it's science fiction.

It's nice to read about first-hand experiences, though, rather than simply watching it on TV.

A co-worker has thoughtfully turned our office into a diner He provides bagels and pastries on Monday and Wednesday...the occasional Bao and egg tart....and 2 weeks ago brought in an electric skillet to supplement the toaster-oven and microwave. Of course frying pan day came with cartons of egg beaters, virgina ham and sourdough rolls.

gee and I was wondering why I gained 25 pounds

it could be the filing cabinet drawer full of cookies, cheese crackers and peanut M&Ms

back to the diet pepsi and a banana for breakfast I promise

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

when i was little, my dad would take my younger brothers and i to mcdonald's for breakfast one sunday a month. it was our little dad-bonding treat. we usually went with family friends of ours - a dad and his three kids (who, coincidentally, are the exact ages of my brothers and i).

i always ordered the same thing. pancakes, sausage, two hashbrowns, and extra syrup. oh, and one of those orange juices served in those plastic tubes with the foil top you had to pull off.

back in the day, mcdonald's had some quality to it. the old-school breakfasts were the best. mcgriddle? really? i mean come on...

:smile:

Has anyone tried Jack-in-the-Box's new breakfast biscuit sandwiches?

They're huge. The bicuits are of the soft "fluffy" variety as opposed to the flakey kind. I think I prefer them over McDonald's breakfast biscuit sandwiches.

And it doesn't hurt that they're currently having a "two for two dollars" special in my area. :cool:

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Sonic Drive-In just came out with a new breakfast toaster..... egg, sausage and gravy on Texas toast. I'm not a big Sonic fan, but when I saw this advertised on TV I had to give it a try. I mean, there's sausage and gravy...and it's a sandwich. If the gravy had more (or any) flavor this might be a hit. Maybe not so much in the morning, but definitely late at night on the weekend!

Jerry

Kansas City, Mo.

Unsaved Loved Ones

My eG Food Blog- 2011

• 2 weeks later...

I had a lovely surprise today when I bit into my Egg McMuffin to discover that it was still somewhat "runny" in the middle. This happens, but is extremely rare. And that pisses me off. It completely changes the sandwich, and actually adds some moisture to the usually obliterated egg component. It was a nice treat that I've grown to appreciate over the years. Sad that they don't come this way by default.

• 4 weeks later...

One of my favorite fast food joints opened a location here in San Diego last year. For a breakfast that will stick to you ... The Original Tommy's breakfast sandwich is fantastic and more nearly unique. On an English muffin or hamburger bun add a sausage patty, a grilled egg, a thick slice of beefsteak tomato, a slice of cheese (okay, it's American cheese), some diced white onion, pickles and a healthy dollop of their thick & meaty (and beanless) chili. The closest is about 3/4 of a mile from where I'm doing overnight shifts--- and about every other week I succumb to one of these. Perhaps not the best thing to go to beddiebye on... but OH MY GOODNESS type of yummy.

http://www.originaltommys.com/

"Cogito Ergo Dim Sum; Therefore I think these are Pork Buns"

hvrobinson@sbcglobal.net

Mcdonald's egg mcmuffin, with those grease drenched hashbrowns, of course. I don't know why I love them, but I do! I generally despise fast food. (must be some repressed childhood memory of horror) :raz: Taco Bell used to serve a breakfast burrito that I loved, havn't been able to find it for a long time. Have they all quit serving breakfast?

Brenda

I whistfully mentioned how I missed sushi. Truly horrified, she told me "you city folk eat the strangest things!", and offered me a freshly fried chitterling!

The McDonald's bacon, egg, and cheese buscuit is wonderfully greasy and perfect for bad hangover mornings.

Whataburger's sausage biscuit will do the trick as well.

Do taco trucks count? 'Cause if so, then they are my #1 favorite. The one that comes to our office every morning is a God-send. I seriously need to stop eating them, though. Breakfast tacos are one of the single most unhealthy things on the planet.

Edited by MissAmy (log)

-Sounds awfully rich!

-It is! That's why I serve it with ice cream to cut the sweetness!

Taco Bell used to serve a breakfast burrito that I loved, havn't been able to find it for a long time.  Have they all quit serving breakfast?

None of the Taco Bells in my area are open at breakfast time, nor have they ever been open at breakfast time. Were you in a test-market area, perhaps?

Tim Oliver

Taco Bell used to serve a breakfast burrito that I loved, havn't been able to find it for a long time.  Have they all quit serving breakfast?

None of the Taco Bells in my area are open at breakfast time, nor have they ever been open at breakfast time. Were you in a test-market area, perhaps?

sometime in the early 90s, there were a handful of taco bells where i lived (san jose, ca) that had 24 hour taco bells that would serve breakfast. mainly breakfast burritos, if i remember correctly. don't know when they stopped though.

sometime in the early 90s, there were a handful of taco bells where i lived (san jose, ca) that had 24 hour taco bells that would serve breakfast. mainly breakfast burritos, if i remember correctly. don't know when they stopped though.

Tacoma Washington, most are 24 hour places, and had the most yummy breakfast burritos, just smothered in hot sause, of course, until about 5 years ago. I miss them. I must have been a deprived soul to have enjoyed them in the first place. *wink*

Brenda

I whistfully mentioned how I missed sushi. Truly horrified, she told me "you city folk eat the strangest things!", and offered me a freshly fried chitterling!

Carls Jr is a washout in the am. Bleah.

A few months ago, Carl's Jr. featured a keilbasa breakfast sandwich that was surprisingly quite good. It was almost like homemade. It was about a fourth of a sausage, split in half and then grilled/fried. I was sorry to see it dropped off the menu.

They also seem to be the only ones still offering a "breakfast bowl" (deconstructed breakfast sandwich...without the bread) for the pro-Atkins crowd.

I got hooked on the keilbasa sandwich and was VERY displeased that it was only temporary. :sad: I drive through somewhere every morning on my commute and that sandwich had me favoring Carl's Jr instead of my usual "let's break up the routine".

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

I don't know how far outside of Southern California Del Taco extends but right how they have me hooked on a new offering. A breafast burrito with eggs, cheese, and in place of bacon/sausage/ham they're filling it with savory shredded beef. Not that I like it or something but it's been my breakfast all 4 mornings this week and I usually avoid repetition big-time.

In the McD camp I prefer the bacon, egg and cheese biscuit. Funny but nobody seems to have mentioned their burrito-like offering stuffed with sausage pellets...this is a guilty pleasure for me once in a while.

The Wienerschnizel near my home has taken "fast" out of fast food breakfasts. They keep nothing ready. You want a breakfast burrito with bacon (you might notice a trend here towards wrapped foods :biggrin: ) they have to fry up bacon fresh, then scramble the eggs, etc. Since they are habitually uderstaffed there in the morning it can sometimes take upwards of 15 minutes (yes - I'm serious) to get my "fast"-food breakfast. While fresh has it's advantages in the morning I'm trying to save every minute I can and so I no longer get breakfast there. By way of perspective I spend an hour and a half each way commuting and don't need anything to add to the time I'm behind the wheel.

Someone mentioned the Breakfast Jack. There is something about the ham product they use that turns me off. Jack in the Box's new biscuit sandwiches are pretty tasty, though. A bit messy to try and eat while you're driving, though. Hence that leaning toward wrapped food I admitted to.

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

One thing I really miss about living in Texas were all of the breakfast taco/burrito places. Nothing better.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

According to my wife, one of my strange eating habits is that I'm not an egg eater. Back in the early 90's, Taco Bell in my hometown served a breakfast burrito that DID NOT have egg in it. Sausage, rice, Hash Brown nuggets and salsa all wrapped up. They were tasty and CHEAP!!! 69 cents each. For less than $3.00, you had "major grub".

Also Hardies (Carl's Jr.) had/has a pork chop biscuit that was outstanding. A thick hunk of pig on a flaky biscuit. What's not to like? :cool:

Sonic Drive- In's have a Super Sonic breakfast Burrito that I adore. Sausage, egg, cheese, jalapeno, onion and tomato with tater tots in a tortilla. Decadent.

Stop Family Violence

According to my wife, one of my strange eating habits is that I'm not an egg eater. Back in the early 90's, Taco Bell in my hometown served a breakfast burrito that DID NOT have egg in it. Sausage, rice, Hash Brown nuggets and salsa all wrapped up. They were tasty and CHEAP!!! 69 cents each. For less than $3.00, you had "major grub".

Not sure where you live, but any area with a Mexican influence should have breakfast tacos/burritos that are made with refried beans and your choice of any or all of the following: chorizo, cheese, onions, salsa, pico, jalapenos, and the rest of the usual Mexican suspects.

You can also find molletes, which are kind of a bean-based breakfast sandwich, although they can be eaten as a tasty snack anytime.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

I think the problem with Burger King breakfast menu items is that the egg in their sandwiches aren't fresh fried eggs, at least, they don't look like it. Their sandwiches contain neatly folded "omlette" slices. They could be powdered eggs for all we know. It's a little too streamlined for me, which makes me appreciate the eggs in McDonald's and Jack-in-the-Box's breakfast sandwiches.

One BK breakfast sandwich that is relatively new is the Hamlette (the link takes you to the sandwich but you have to sit through some brief animation first). It's a ham slice (too bad it's not a slice of the real McCoy) with their ubiquitous folded omlette on a sesame seed bun with honey butter. The emphasis is mine. I didn't know it had honey butter in it when I bought the breakfast sandwich so I was surprised ("What the eff?" :blink: ) at the little taste of sweetness in the sandwich. I wouldn't say it has the sweetness of a McDonald's McGriddle sandwich but it does have a sweet note to it. I think they're trying to find that balance between the salty ham and the sweet butter.

Has anyone else tried the BK Hamlette?

Tim Oliver

With apologies to all (and with my cat o'nine tails, several thorough mea maxima culpae) I have never had breakfast at McDonalds. I promise though....next time I'm in the USA will do it for sure.

In the meanwhile, my concepts of ideal fast-food breakfasts remain:

The sausage rolls one can buy at many of the bake shops throughout Greece but especially on the island of Corfu

A dozen raw oysters, standing at the bar at one of the oyster joints on Paris' Rue de Buci or the same quantity of oysters at Venice's open air fish and seafood market.

Eggs Benedict and the spiciest home-fries known to this universe as served at Tel Aviv's Dixie (happily open 24 hours daily and you can have breakfast at any time of the day or night that strikes your fancy)

Two, perhaps three croissants at one of a dozen different cafes in Paris, another half-dozen in Lyon and several in Aix-en-Provence.

A bagful of burrekas from quite a few different places in Tel Aviv, Akko, Haifa,

Jerusalem, Amman or Cairo.

A fine large plate of humous (for me with a bit of tchina, pine nuts, humous beans and, of course, hot sauce and pickles, all with hot pita) in many places in Israel, Jordan, Lebanon, Cyprus. (Alas, I cannot visit Syria... I understand they make some fabulous humous there)

Scrambled eggs with feta and tomatoes, sprinkled with za'atar, served with labna and pita, from Zaki's, a convenience store a block and a half from my house. It's served fast!