• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bruges/Brugge Best places to eat

I'm off to Bruges/Brugge on Wednesday + family for a short stay.

Can anyone recommend  some great places to eat or point me to a

comprehensive thread.

Regards

Adrian

De Karmeliet, a Michelin 3 star, is by far the best restaurant in Bruges. It will cost plenty, but it is exceptional. Obviously it is not appropriate if your family includes small children. Den Dyver is best known for using beer in all of their dishes and matching beers to drink with them. I found the food mediocre at best.

De Karmeliet is indeed the best. They offer a no too expensive menu "Het Vlakke Land" for 60 € but which isn't served on Saturday and friday evenings and Holidays.

Otherwise i could recommend Den Gouden Harynck, having one star.

Here's an old thread that was recently bumped. I'll reiterate how charmed my wife and I were by Jan Van Eyck at Jan Van Eyckplein 12 (*not* to be confused with Van Eyck on 't Zand) where we had some fabulous food, including an excellent carbonnade. Cozy, casual, and lovely little cafe indeed. This was some 4 years ago, mind you, but hopefully it would not have dipped in quality since then.

Christopher

• 2 weeks later...
I'm off to Bruges/Brugge on Wednesday + family for a short stay.

Can anyone recommend  some great places to eat or point me to a

comprehensive thread.

Regards

Adrian

Gouten Harynk: Beautiful space. Simple and white washed walls. Quiet, efficient service.

Dinner: Chef’s menu, Amuses, then raw, thinly sliced scallops with Asian/Indian toasted seeds

Sea bass in lovely nage

Tenderloin of Pata Negra pork topped with a thin slice of lardo with salsify, encasing pork forcemeat, and brussels sprouts with lardons. Desert was tropical fruits with a clear foam that the S/O said “what’s this, it looks like semen”.

The pork was the finest I have ever tasted. It was smoky without being smoked. Porky without being piggy and moist with the lardo on top. The salsify was brilliant. The chef was a lovely man. The wine (a white Bordeaux was perfect).

• 1 month later...

Here is my review for De Karmeliet ... it was the first place I visit as part of my dining spring/summer euro trip at the beginning of this month. I opted for the full tasting menu. The restaurant is quite strict in terms of changing the content of the degustation menu, they rejected my proposal to insert (change my main course, even I'm willing to pay more) chef Hecke's signature dish - Fried farm egg in a Crust of breadcrumbs.

Food/Wine (92/88)

It started quite well for the amuse, especially asparagus mousse (the smell and taste were rather light) with the quail egg inside. The in-house butter is really good (light in saltiness but very refreshing, if not mistaken they bought it from local village - Diskmuide)

The 1st dish - asparagus with poached egg and lobster - the presentation is quite interesting, but the overall taste is bland, including the lobster. The next 2 dishes are very good though not spectacular.

2nd - prawn (tender and quite sweet) with coconut's crust and pork (flavorful) with mexican spices. These combined with mild curry yoghurt to get rid of the cloying effect.

3rd - seabass with a crust of tapioca, morels and asparagus. This is the best dish of the night, the fish has a good texture, while the morels are excellent - a bit firm and flavorful. The overall taste was intensified with 2002 Chateau de tracy Pouilly fume (Loire Valley)

4th - Baked marinated tuna (almost medium-well) served with gooseliver and creamed sweet potatoes. This is an example of a dish where it has many elements and did not go together when you combine them. I ended up with mixed feelings - similar to the dish that mixes many things

5th - Bresse pigeon served with smoked cheese. During the trip, I think this is the worst main course I had among 2-3* restaurants. The pigeon's taste is strong, still not enough the spelt along with the cheese even more dominant. The soup (Chinese style with some "medicine" taste) serving pigeon's leg did not help much either.

6th - Most of the cheese are imported from the local distributor. The variety is on-par with European top restaurants. The comte is good, charolais is mild but leaving a long aftertaste, the stilton-like one is expected to be very strong. Overall only ok

7th - In the end of spring, I guess fruits are the dominant ingredients for desserts. The one I could say to be good is apple "ravioli" served with sour sorbet, whereas the chocolate with mint cream did not taste as nice as it looks

You could see the pictures here - http://www.flickr.com/photos/7124357@N03/s...57600515265541/

I would not deny that the price is relatively on the low side compare to, let's say Paris 3*, but starting this summer they will increase the price by EUR 10 for the tasting menu.

The sommelier here is very young (not sure if he's the head) - about mid or late 20's, not very confident in explaining the wine. My 2002 chateau de tracy did not disappoint though, it's crisp with refreshing body. The collection is quite vast, the wine's lovers should be happy. The average mark-up is 2-2.5 times I supposed.

Services/Ambiance (87/91)

The place is quite comfortable aka spacious with cool bathroom where the water and the lights use the motion sensor. From the outside, the restaurant did not look to be that big, but inside it has a large terrace and beautiful flower gardens as well as a pleasant lobby/bar.

The service is a bit "American" where certain table is served by certain waiters throughout the whole night. They're ok though I find it a bit below average compare to other 3* places.

The place is quite empty, I observed only 15 people dined that night. Jacket and tie are not strictly required, even there's one walked-in diner, he did not think that this is a fine dining place

In general, I would say the cooking style of Geert Van Hecke to be modern classic. He likes to use many ingredients where hardly any of them intended to be dominant (act as the main ones). I'm not too keen of this place and unlikely to return sometimes in the near future - there are 2 other places around Brugge that I think is much more superior - Hof Van Cleve and Oud Sluis. For the food point of view only, I gave De Karmeliet 92/100 (equivalent to a weak 2 1/2 out of 3* in my standard), while the overall experience - in my note, I graded this place 89.5/100 (a flat 2* out of 3). Just incase any of you don't know, my overall best dining experience so far is my 1st visit at L'Arpege (97.5/100). Thanks for reading

How can one go to Belgium and not eat Mussles and Frites? De Visscherie (visscherie.be) is the best place in Bruges for seafood. Right across from the old fish market.

And then there is the beer. I can't remember the name of the bar but there is one there just off the center plaza with 500+ Belgium beers. I am sure if you ask at any restaurant they can tell you the name.

There is also a store a couple of shops down that sells about the same number of beers (not all Belgium, but there were a lot) so you can take some home. They also give you a coupon for a free beer at the bar, so start there.

Can anyone recommend some casual but tasty places in Brugge? We'll be traveling with our two-year-old, and while she is accustomed to eating in restaurants and is fairly placid for a two-year-old, she is still a toddler. Any ideas?

I ate at a great place there a few weeks ago, by the fishmarket, on the corner. I took a photo of the outside so I'd remember what it was called... and it came out blurred! So, that's my vague recommendation.

Edit: Google tells me it's called Mozarthuis.

They served food to be cooked on hot stones at the table (no idea if that's a traditional Brugges thing) as well as the staples: Flemish stew, mussles etc. I'd have considered it child friendly.

Of course the main thing to do is check out the chocolate: Galler, Neuhaus etc.

Edited by dharold (log)

Read about what I've been eating at http://theeatingwell.blogspot.com/

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
Has anyone got any update on the best in Bruges as am going there early next year and want to make sure I get the best place for a romantic meal for two (pre-wedding treat for my fiance). Unlimited budget for this one so all suggestions welcome.
My suggestion would be to choose between De Karmeliet: a three starred restaurant owned by an about 50 year old chef who is cooking already for many years at constant level, very solid, expensive, good ambiance in a comfortable way as to be expected at this level. It is a modern cuisine based on classical cuisine.

Much more creative cuisine is to be found at Hertog Jan, owned by two young guys of about 30, cuisine inspired by the cuisine moleculaire, much less expensive, much less exclusive and comfortable but very pleasant and both guys are very good. The restaurant has one michelinstar but will certainly get in one of the coming years a second one.

Have a look at both websites to get an impression to make a better choice.

Thanks as always paulbrussel for the thoughtful recs....I'll ask my typical rube question: does anyone have any recommendations for pubs/eetcafes with excellent/interesting food in Brugge? Looks like we'll be going there in a couple weeks for a day trip with my in-laws. Nothin' fancy, good beers and good food in a non-touristy locals' spot if such a thing exists in Brugge these days. Thanks!

it's been a couple of years since we were there, and non-touristy it most certainly is not, but we liked it anyway - the beer is good and it's in a beautiful building right in the center: Brouwerij Halvemaan. It's where they make the beer Straffe Hendrik.

eta: okay I just checked out the website and it looks like I'm hopelessly behind, as usual :rolleyes: Straffe Hendrik beer no longer exists and apparently now they make something called Brugse Zot.. so forget my recommendation and maybe go and see for yourself ...

Edited by Chufi (log)

Paul Reynard,

If possible, I strongly recommend you take a taxi (about 20-30 min) or drive to Sluis and eat at Oud Sluis - the food is really good. The city itself is quite nice, and you and your fiancee could pedal in the small lake around there.

Hof van Cleve would be my 2nd choice, though it's nearer to Gent than Bruges. It's in the middle of nowhere, surrounded by fields ... quite romantic - both of you could seat outside before or after the lunch/dinner to enjoy fresh air.

De Karmeliet is not a bad choice, even though IMHO it's inferior compared to the 2 restaurants I mentioned above. Regardless of that, I hope both of you would have a wonderful time.

If possible, I strongly recommend you take a taxi (about 20-30 min) or drive to Sluis and eat at Oud Sluis - the food is really good. The city itself is quite nice, and you and your fiancee could pedal in the small lake around there.
Surely, Oud Sluis, being imho the best restaurant of the Benelux, is even a better choice as De Karmeliet.

[You can even go there by bus 2 (every hour to Sluis-Breskens at 59 past) from the train station and stop at Sluis, Ridderstraat.]

If you go there, do make a reservation, esp. for Friday, Saturday and Sunday quite in advance. (I tried to book for Friday dinner 9 months ahead but didn't succeed.)

I would definetly recommend Oud Sluis, was there last January with my girlfriend and had a great experience, a great meal and special service, we also stayed close by at a great guesthouse were the owner drove us to the restaurant and we were dropped back that night by one of the chef de rangs, in Sergios 4x4. Very happy memories and then spent the next day in Brugges relaxing and remembering a special night.

• 4 months later...
I would definetly recommend Oud Sluis, was there last January with my girlfriend and had a great experience, a great meal and special service, we also stayed close by at a great guesthouse were the owner drove us to the restaurant and we were dropped back that night by one of the chef de rangs, in Sergios 4x4. Very happy memories and then spent the next day in Brugges relaxing and remembering a special night.

hi brian im just looking at making atrip to oud sluis can you tell me the name of the guest house or is it the one linked from the restaurants website?

also is there any modern food in brugges itself? dont fancy the old 3 star there apologies cant spell it

• 1 year later...

I'm in Bruges now and still looking for a good, casual place to get waterzooi that isn't a tourist ripoff. I can't believe how little real info (educated reviews) exisits on restaurants in Bruges other than the Michelin places!

We had dinner at Den Djiver this evening and were disappointed. It wasn't bad and, in fact, a few things were stellar (service was excellent, dessert was fantastic) but most of it was underwhelming with a few real misses (dry salmon lacking any pizazz, and egg cream with asparagus just a few seconds over cooked but those few seconds count.)

I can't recommend it for the price which was 45E for a 3 course menu with limited choice or 22-42E per course from the carte.

hi brian im just looking at making atrip to oud sluis can you tell me the name of the guest house or is it the one linked from the restaurants website?

also is there any modern food in brugges itself? dont fancy the old 3 star there apologies cant spell it

The guest house is called chico y luna and can be booked via the restaurant.

In Brugge don't miss De Jonkman which is really great especially with respect to PQR... See my review of my last meal here. Hertog Jan is alos good but not at that level. Filip Claeys has worked at Oud Sluis and Karmeliet for many years...