• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Left over roast pig..what to do?

XiaoLing

This is a sad sad day.... :sad:

Here's what I found about the canned fried dace situation.

"The popular canned fried dace in black beans, as I understand, has been withdrawn in Hong Kong and the US and other parts of the world.

The dace, a kind of fish, is raised in rivers to which malachite green has been added to prevent parasite growth. Unfortunately the malachite green becomes absorbed into the fish which are then caught and fried as the cheap and popular fried dace in black beans.

In the long term, consumption of the fried dace can cause cancer due to the malachite green."

Now where am I going to get my delicious greasiness?? :angry:

This is a sad sad day.... :sad:

Here's what I found about the canned fried dace situation.

"The popular canned fried dace in black beans, as I understand, has been withdrawn in Hong Kong and the US and other parts of the world.

The dace, a kind of fish, is raised in rivers to which malachite green has been added to prevent parasite growth. Unfortunately the malachite green becomes absorbed into the fish which are then caught and fried as the cheap and popular fried dace in black beans.

In the long term, consumption of the fried dace can cause cancer due to the malachite green."

Now where am I going to get my delicious greasiness??  :angry:

I'm with you. I have one can left in my pantry. I don't eat it that often because I must wait for Mr. Duck to be out of the house, since he doesn't like it very much. But once that's gone, where am I going to go?! First preserved duck eggs, now this!! Oh, the agony! :sad:

Karen C.

"Oh, suddenly life’s fun, suddenly there’s a reason to get up in the morning – it’s called bacon!" - Sookie St. James

Travelogue: Ten days in Tuscany

I just got back from Chinatown in Boston and there were shelves of canned fried dace!!!

Screw it, I'm going to eat my 2-3 cans a year. Something's bound to kill me anyway, might as well be something good.

Also, sorry to stray off topic here but a popular veggie dish in restos here (I'm in Guangzhou currently) is gai choy with canned dace.

WARNING, all canned dace (oval cans) have been pulled off the grocery shelves in Canada for over a year. I had a terrible time looking for my yearly supply in Toronto last week and after 10 +/- stores, I finally had someone explain the situation to me.

Apparently some aquaculture operations in China were very lax with their operations and used chemicals, biologics and drugs very liberally. Tested cans of the stuff were veritably dangerous to your health.

Oh well, I just apply the "what won't kill you only makes you stronger" adage to it. There are all sorts of bans on food here, from fake shrimp to warnings on fish, duck eggs, thousand year old eggs, fat choy, etc. No use in avoiding it.

Anyways, whenever you guys can get your hands on some canned dace, try it. It sounds weird, but it ain't half bad. They call it country style food here, and they mostly offer it in restaurants in the countryside. Whenever I go for factory visits and inspections I always try to find a a spot with a bunch of cars parked in the dirt and gravel lot during lunchtime. I've had some weird dishes, some that go well, and some that just don't work out for me.