• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Truffles for Mothers Day

Aria

Hello all,

Mothers Day is not too far away here in N.America and I was wondering what fellow confectioners were planning on making?

Some of my thoughts are:

-Repeat of the hit Raspberry Chambord dark truffles covered in white from V.Day

- Key lime truffles covered in white with lime green streaking

- Strawberry white chocolate truffles covered in dark

Thanks!

Since most of my customers are always concerned about eating better quality food and ofcourse chocolate I usually try to use mostly dark chocolate , it seems that lately women are more prone to consume dark chocolate and is the one I like to work with more anyway.

Raspberry crunch,some anise coffe,sea salt caramel, a must cause they are addicted to them ( why did i ever made them :laugh: ),probably some type of mint maybe the meltaway enrobed in chocolate though,maybe some stout ones,something like that, I might change my mind as usual :raz:

Vanessa

A dark chocolate piece with 5 almonds. Hits two of the current thoughts on good health, dark chocolate and 5 almonds a day.

Make if a nice flower shape, foil wrapped, and boxed in a set of 7 for a week full of Mother's Day joy!

Just a thought. :-)

Patrick Sikes

www.MyChocolateJournal.com

A new chocolate review community

PS I Love You Fine Chocolates

I'm in the midst of flavor development for Mother's Day as well. So far I'm planning lavender caramel, orange ganache (zest and Grand Marnier), and a coffee liqueur ganache made with Patron XO Cafe, all in dark chocolate. The Patron is a coffee infused tequila, and unlike many other liqueurs, it's fairly dry rather than sweet - it goes beautifully with dark chocolate, and I've made it a bunch for events, but never for a sale. I need one more flavor - I've done one pomegranate experiment, but didn't like the way that batch worked out. I think I might like to do something in milk or white chocolate, since the others are all in dark, but I'm still thinking about what to do.

Tammy's Tastings

Creating unique food and drink experiences

eGullet Foodblogs #1 and #2
Dinner for 40

I'm in the midst of flavor development for Mother's Day as well.  So far I'm planning lavender caramel, orange ganache (zest and Grand Marnier), and a coffee liqueur ganache made with Patron XO Cafe, all in dark chocolate.  The Patron is a coffee infused tequila, and unlike many other liqueurs, it's fairly dry rather than sweet - it goes beautifully with dark chocolate, and I've made it a bunch for events, but never for a sale.  I need one more flavor - I've done one pomegranate experiment, but didn't like the way that batch worked out.  I think I might like to do something in milk or white chocolate, since the others are all in dark, but I'm still thinking about what to do.

I was following a similar train of thought, looking for somthing to use with white chocolate. I'm thinking that I may try one of two things: either a jasmine tea-infused ganache, or reduced icewine. I'm leaning toward the tea, 'cause it's a lot cheaper than icewine. I'll likely try both before the year's over, though.

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

I was following a similar train of thought, looking for somthing to use with white chocolate.  I'm thinking that I may try one of two things: either a jasmine tea-infused ganache, or reduced icewine.  I'm leaning toward the tea, 'cause it's a lot cheaper than icewine.  I'll likely try both before the year's over, though.

Funny - I was also thinking about tea!

Tammy's Tastings

Creating unique food and drink experiences

eGullet Foodblogs #1 and #2
Dinner for 40

White chocolate truffles are hard in my opinion. They are just so sweet that you have to find the right flavor. The only one I was every happy with was a key lime truffle. It was a white chocolate ganache and a white chocolate shell. We used an organic key lime juice (purchased at Whole Foods) and just a little bit of citric acid to get that little kick without having to flood the ganache with the juice.

The other flavors we tried were strawberry, raspberry, and apricot. One of the biggest problems with the other flavors besides the poor taste was the look of the finished product. You could see the colored centers through the shell.

Patrick Sikes

The other flavors we tried were strawberry, raspberry, and apricot.  One of the biggest problems with the other flavors besides the poor taste was the look of the finished product. You could see the colored centers through the shell.

Um, I'm not a chocolate-making person, but well, wouldn't that be kind of pretty?

May

Totally More-ish: The New and Improved Foodblog

Um, I'm not a chocolate-making person, but well, wouldn't that be kind of pretty?

I personally did not like it. It made the truffle look wierd. Part of the problem may be the chocolate we used which was Callebaut's white chocolate which is quite yellow in color.

Patrick Sikes

I agree with Patrick. I rarely do much moulding or dipping with white because it is too sweet. My clientele tell me they like my chocolates because they are not overly sweet as compared to Bernard callebaut which they do find sweet. Now, the keylime in white would be a good combo and I might do some. Balsamic vinegar ganache is very nice in dark so I will be doing some of those.

Patrick, I was in Orlando for holidays in Feb and I wanted to check out some chocolate shops. There were very few, maybe only one that might have been worth seeing. I did try to go to one that was listed in the phone book and we couldn't find it, but it was closed on sundays anyhow. My point is that there is excellent potential in Orlando for high end chocolates.

You could add cream cheese make a Key Lime cheesecake truffle in white chocolate which is a great combo. A passion fruit truffle is always good for Mother's day.

Mark

www.roseconfections.com

My point is that there is excellent potential in Orlando for high end chocolates.

Yea. St Petersburg is I think a stop off to getting to Orlando. This was where the good job was, but don't see this place as a career spot.

I would love to start my company up again, its just this darn heat and humidity. I can be tamed, but I will have to build a kitchen to do so. No ordinary catering kitchen will do (which is what I used in Colorado).

Thats why I builtwww.MyChocolateJournal.com because I was missing the whole chocolate thing. At least this lets me play virtually in chocolate. :biggrin:

Patrick Sikes