• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Favorite Bergen County Sushi

ELA

It doesn't look like this has been done in awhile -- what are some of your favorites? A few of my favorites have closed in the past couple of years -- Yamaguchi (Fort Lee) and Noshiro (Fort Lee). I've recently gone to Nagoya (Mahwah) several times. It has been very good each and every time. Very interesting and very good specials -- both sushi, appetizers, and entree/dishes. This is a BYO place, and there is a liquor store in the same shopping center/complex).

I used to enjoy Hanami (Englewood) and haven't been to the new place. Anyone been there? I was once a Wild Ginger fan, but that was a long time ago. They had undergone a great deal of changes -- chef(s), owner/partner(s), manager, etc. I haven't gone in a couple of years, but the last times I went, it became a "pass" for me. Any recent experiences?

I used to go to Kaname (Cliffside Park) all the time, but I haven't been going there anywhere near as much.

I also like "Miyoshi" in Hackensack, and for some that might be a bit "controversial" -- if that would be an appropriate word, LOL. Anyway, I like the place, always have, and have been going there for years. Anyone else?

So what are some of your favorites? Thanks!

Eric

Edited by ELA (log)

I just tried Koyama on Palisades in Cliffside Park a few weeks ago. We were more there to test out the home cooking (which was excellent), so we just asked for a chef's choice plate of sushi. It was really great.

First off, the rice is a little different than most places. I think the chef is using a different vineagar. It is not amazingly better, but it is different and quite good.

The fish itself was great. Large pieces that felt like the chef warmed them in his hand or something before serving. The temperature seemed just right and the flavor really came out.

The wasabi they use seems almost whipped up into a cream which added to the whole melt-in-your mouth feeling of the sushi. We didn't get any rolls, just fish on rice.

Uni is always kind of a good metric and theirs is good. I've been having a lot of nice sweet uni lately though, so maybe that's not as good a litmus test as it used to be.

I've heard some pretty good things about this place. For those of you who know Cliffside Park, this is the place that is right behind where the old Post Office used to be.

Glad to hear, and thanks for the heads up.

Eric

favorite place is hiura on main street in fort lee. we only started going sometime last year, but it's very good.

used to go to kaname semi-regularly, but our last two experiences there haven't been so great (food-wise).

My current favorite is Koto in Suffern, just a hop over the border, up Franklin Tpk. from Mahwah. Fresh fish, nice atmosphere. friendly staff, good selection. Start with a bowl of edamame and order the live scallop.

I also had a nice lunch at Tomo on Route 17 in Ramsey, but have only been there once and just ordered standard stuff.

My current favorite is Koto in Suffern, just a hop over the border, up Franklin Tpk. from Mahwah. Fresh fish, nice atmosphere. friendly staff, good selection.  Start with a bowl of edamame and order the live scallop.

I also had a nice lunch at Tomo on Route 17 in Ramsey, but have only been there once and just ordered standard stuff.

I actually had dinner at Tomo. A friend of mine who travels through the area likes the place so I met him there. It was good. I had a few of their special rolls, nothing revolutionary, but they were good. I also had some individual pieces of sushi and they were very good as well -- all seemed very fresh and very good quality.

I'll have to try Koto -- live scallop huh?

Eric