• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Recent Guy Savoy Experience?

I've just made some dinner reservations (Rao, Joel Robuchon and Wing Lei) for our next trip. Looking forward to trying these 3 restaurants which will be new for us.

In calling I see that GS offers a $190 tasting menu which has some appeal but I'm wondering if anyone has gone recently and felt they got the bum's rush. I seem to remember reading some older posts and that fear is sticking in my mind.

Comments?

Thanks as always!

In calling I see that GS offers a $190 tasting menu which has some appeal but I'm wondering if anyone has gone recently and felt they got the bum's rush.  I seem to remember reading some older posts and that fear is sticking in my mind.

Comments?

Madame, pourquoi est-ce que vous avez peur?? :shock::shock:

And pardon my French ...

Why are you afraid? Guy Savoy was one of the best dining experiences I have ever had. I would be greatly disappointed if your fears ever became true.

If I remember correctly, the $190 menu is the TGV menu, named after the bullet train in France. That tasting menu was created for those on a time constraint (musical, show, concert, etc.). I think there's also an a la carte menu as well.

If you do go to Guy Savoy (and you should), just mention you're not in any rush and any other accomodations you might have. I presume you read my report about Guy Savoy, ehh??

As usual, I'm looking forward in hearing your report.

FYI Here's the main Guy Savoy discussion thread.

Edited by rjwong (log)

Russell J. Wong aka "rjwong"

Food and I, we go way back ...

Thanks for your comments, Russell. I was curious if anyone had experienced GS in the past few months.

Letting our server know we are not in a hurry should solve any problems with the pace of the TGV menu should we go that route.

Guy Savoy recently hosted a table of guests that stayed over 8 hours. Not sure if they had the entire ala carte menu, but it was probably close. Seriously, I don't think you need to worry about being rushed unless you have to make a show time or something.

Edited by nightscotsman (log)

Thanks, Neil...I'm feeling confident that we won't have to rush through dinner like a bullet train...LOL.

Guy Savoy recently hosted a table of guests that stayed over 8 hours. Not sure if they had the entire ala carte menu, but it was probably close. Seriously, I don't think you need to worry about being rushed unless you have to make a show time or something.

Most dishes can be split into half portions according to some of the accounts from the main GS thread. For a similar price you could practically create your own small tasting menu, eat want you want, and drag it out for a longer period. It is something to look at.

Good suggestion, stetson, thanks !

Most dishes can be split into half portions according to some of the accounts from the main GS thread.  For a similar price you could practically create your own small tasting menu, eat want you want, and drag it out for a longer period.  It is something to look at.

• 2 weeks later...
I've just made some dinner reservations (Rao, Joel Robuchon and Wing Lei) for our next trip.  Looking forward to trying these 3 restaurants which will be new for us.

In calling I see that GS offers a $190 tasting menu which has some appeal but I'm wondering if anyone has gone recently and felt they got the bum's rush.  I seem to remember reading some older posts and that fear is sticking in my mind.

Comments?

Thanks as always!

Guy Savoy is incapable of bum rushing anyone....they even are quite good about splitting portions (if they can be split) and letting some in your party order a la carte or little or nothing at all as the mood suits you. Rao's is a mistake but Robuchon and Wing Lei may provide transcendental dining experiences if you let them (as will Savoy). But bring $$$ as none are cheap and Robuchon at the Mansion is a house payment for a meal. L'Atelier is my pick for Robuchon-quality food at 75% less money.

Best and bon appetit,

John Curtas

Commentator/Restaurant Critic

News 88.9 FM KNPR

Nevada Public Radio

KNPR.org

I've just made some dinner reservations (Rao, Joel Robuchon and Wing Lei) for our next trip.  Looking forward to trying these 3 restaurants which will be new for us.

Comments?

Thanks as always!

Guy Savoy is incapable of bum rushing anyone....they even are quite good about splitting portions (if they can be split) and letting some in your party order a la carte or little or nothing at all as the mood suits you. Rao's is a mistake but Robuchon and Wing Lei may provide transcendental dining experiences if you let them (as will Savoy). But bring $$$ as none are cheap and Robuchon at the Mansion is a house payment for a meal. L'Atelier is my pick for Robuchon-quality food at 75% less money.

Best and bon appetit,

John Curtas

Commentator/Restaurant Critic

News 88.9 FM KNPR

Nevada Public Radio

KNPR.org

John,

Thanks for the comments...Yes, I've been to L'Atalier and enjoyed it. The 'smaller' tasting menu at the Mansion doesn't sound too ($$$) bad.

Why the negative on Rao? Really appreciate candor on this as we sure don't want to (heaven forbid) have a bad meal/experience.

Edited by Foodie-Girl (log)

I DO prefer Italian cooking with a a lighter touch..had a big-bash birthday party AT Circo a while back...definitely my style.

Rao might turn out to be a 'comprimise' dinner...so, any comments on service? Have you eaten at Il Molino (husband loved it/I could take a pass)? Same type of food??

Decided to take a pass on Rao. Thanks again for your comments, John.

Edited by Foodie-Girl (log)

Decided to take a pass on Rao.  Thanks again for your comments, John.

You made the right decision. I had dinner at Rao's last Sunday night and it was, shall we say, underwhelming. Perhaps our first clue that things were awry should have been the group leaving the restaurant who were visibly angry and saying things along the lines of, "that's the worst food I've ever had!" I won't say that it was that bad, but it was dissapointing. The service was inattentive, bordering on absent, and left us sitting for nearly thirty minutes without water while our check was settled (dinner was comped, and had I not been a guest, I would have been a bit more vocal in my displeasure.) The salads were fair, including an arugula and roasted beet salad that was saved by a very funky (in a good way) gorgonzola. The pastas could be recreated by anyone with a pot of water and the will to eat, and my osso bucco was dry and relatively bland. All in all, Rao's was not a place to which I'd return.

That said, we had a fabulous dinner at Bouchon the night prior. The cost was far less than Rao's and the food was terrific from the oysters to the boudin noir. I can't reccomend it highly enough, especially if you are looking for a simpler "compromise" dinner.

-Eric

You made the right decision. I had dinner at Rao's last Sunday night and it was, shall we say, underwhelming. Perhaps our first clue that things were awry should have been the group leaving the restaurant who were visibly angry and saying things along the lines of, "that's the worst food I've ever had!" I won't say that it was that bad, but it was dissapointing. The service was inattentive, bordering on absent, and left us sitting for nearly thirty minutes without water while our check was settled (dinner was comped, and had I not been a guest, I would have been a bit more vocal in my displeasure.) The salads were fair, including an arugula and roasted beet salad that was saved by a very funky (in a good way) gorgonzola. The pastas could be recreated by anyone with a pot of water and the will to eat, and my osso bucco was dry and relatively bland. All in all, Rao's was not a place to which I'd return.

That said, we had a fabulous dinner at Bouchon the night prior. The cost was far less than Rao's and the food was terrific from the oysters to the boudin noir. I can't reccomend it highly enough, especially if you are looking for a simpler "compromise" dinner.

-Eric

Thanks for reinforcing my decision to change our plans. Doesn't sound like my type of food and certainly not calibre of service....

couldn't agree more on Bouchon...they consistently have the best oysters in town....and I try all of them, incluuding myfriend Rick Moonen's....and the Chimay on tap is a plus as well....

Rao's is for ....how can I say this delicately as to not offend anyone???? for yokels and lovers of the Sopranos...uh...no...I LOVE the Sopranos....let's just say Rao's appeals to those wishing to BE the Sopranos.

john curtas

News 88.9 FM KNPR

Nevada Public Radio

KNPR.org

-Eric