• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

How much tamarind concentrate

bobmac

How much do you substitute in a recipe calling for fresh tamarind?

"Last week Uncle Vinnie came over from Sicily and we took him to the Olive Garden. The next day the family car exploded."

--Nick DePaolo

How much do you substitute in a recipe calling for fresh tamarind?

How much fresh tamarind does the recipe call for and what is the recipe?

Also, there are 2 types of tamarind concentrate on the market these days. There is the very thick and dark (almost gel like) variety that comes in plastic containers and has been around forever ,then there is the variety in a glass jar (sold only under the brand name Laxmi)

that is much more similar to homemade tamarind paste.

Which do you have on hand?

Usually a teaspoon of thick concentrate dissolved in water is good for a dish that serves 4, but it could be more or less depending on the dish. The other type can usually be substitute measure for measure.

Edward Hamann

Cooking Teacher

Indian Cooking

edhamann@hotmail.com

Recipe says to cover a 2-inch piece of tamarind pulp with 3/4 cup hot water. Crush and break up pulp with a fork and let it stand for 20 minutes. Pour mixture through a strainer and press it through. Collect 1/2 cup tamarind liquid.

I have tamarind concentrate in a plastic jar that says TUON ME CHUA. There’s a “best used by” date that I believe is in Thai. I assume I should refrigerate after opening?

Thanks.

"Last week Uncle Vinnie came over from Sicily and we took him to the Olive Garden. The next day the family car exploded."

--Nick DePaolo

Recipe says to cover a  2-inch piece of tamarind pulp with  3/4 cup hot water. Crush and break up pulp with a fork and let it stand for 20 minutes. Pour mixture through a strainer and press it through. Collect 1/2 cup tamarind liquid.

I have tamarind  concentrate in a plastic jar that says TUON ME CHUA. There’s a “best used by” date that I believe is in Thai. I assume I should refrigerate after opening?

Thanks.

Oh, you have the Thai variety of concentrate. This is also almost the same as homemade strained tamarind. You might want to try about 6 tablespoons with added liquid to make 1/2 cup....adjust to taste...

What are you cooking?

Edward Hamann

Cooking Teacher

Indian Cooking

edhamann@hotmail.com

This particular recipe is for Mee Krob.

Would you get 6 tablespoons out of a 2-inch piece?

Edited by bobmac (log)

--Nick DePaolo

This particular recipe is for Mee Krob.

Would you get 6 tablespoons out of a 2-inch piece?

Thinking about it now....it might not be as thick as a bottled concentrate. After soaking a 2 inch piece in 3/4 cup of water, as you wrote the instructions told you to, I would think you might end up with something rather thin.....though it is hard to really know what a 2 inch piece of tamarind is :biggrin:

2 inches round...2 inches square.....2 inches long.....a weight measurement would probably be more helpful for you....

Edward Hamann

Cooking Teacher

Indian Cooking

edhamann@hotmail.com