• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Rick Stein's Local Heroes

I understand that Rick's new TV series is dedicated to the praise of local producers of top quality foods, and encourages restaurateurs as well as individuals to purchase local products so as to encourage producers further.

In which case, why does his restaurant at Padstow buy oysters from Loch Fyne (about 600 miles away) and mussels from the Shetland Isles (about 800 miles away). Can it really be that there are no suitable oysters or mussels to be found any nearer ? Or is the theme of Stein's new series just a gimmick ? Or is there another (good) reason ?

That's a fair point Macrosan and one I was thinking at the time when he was talking about Langoustines from Scotland. I like Stein because he's passionate and he cooks stuff uncomplicated enough for me to feel comfortable with trying myself.

However his best of British produce was then hijacked by a Massala sauce and a Moroccan sauce vierge, hardly best of British.

You guys seem to have a lot of time on your hands to be writing all this stuff.

Maybe the oyster and mussel conundrum is to do with variety and seasonality, what do you think?

There's Bigbury Bay and Fal Oysters and Fowey mussels on the menu at the moment.

You guys seem to have a lot of time on your hands to be writing all this stuff.

Maybe the oyster and mussel conundrum is to do with variety and seasonality, what do you think?

There's Bigbury Bay and Fal Oysters and Fowey mussels on the menu at the moment.

So, it seems, do you Judi :rolleyes:

Yes, he has those three types of oyster on the menu at the moment, and he is buying Loch Fyne oysters at the moment, although they are not named on the menu. Interesting, isn't it ?