• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Gatwick brunch?

A tall order, I know.

Some friends of ours have a lay over between 10:00 - 2:00 at Gatwick. Brunch seems to be the only viable option. They also are coming with a 3 year old. Anywhere within shooting distance of the airport would be best. Any suggestions? I'm at a loss.

Thanks!

Of the three towns that are close to Gatwick, Horley, Crawley and Reigate, only the last might offer anything edible. There are various chains in Crawley.

"Gimme a pig's foot, and a bottle of beer..." Bessie Smith

Flickr Food

"111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321" Bruce Frigard 'Winesonoma' - RIP

Haha, you're stuffed.

Best option get the train to Victoria (half an hour) and forage around there. Maybe Noura for middle eastern. Or I'm quite fond of Jenny Lo's Tea House nr the coach station (v. good deep fried salt and pepper squids) though be careful as I think they're cash only.

Probably too much hassle, but so long as you're heading out of the resto soon after 1300 you should be in reasonable to shape to get back to the airport for 1400.

J

PS the same advice applies for anyone doing layovers at Heathrow - get the train into Paddington!

More Cookbooks than Sense - my new Cookbook blog!

Haha, you're stuffed.

Best option get the train to Victoria (half an hour) and forage around there.  Maybe Noura for middle eastern.

Probably too much hassle, but so long as you're heading out of the resto soon after 1300 you should be in reasonable to shape to get back to the airport for 1400.

J

nice idea - Kazan in Wilton Street does good mediterranean (Turkish) and has relegated Noura to second place in my sons' meze league table.

I know, I know. Sadly, a trip into London is out of the question (and would seem the easy answer). My friends are a bit worried about straying too far from the confines of Gatwick and having a 3 year old in tow does put a drag on the general pace of things.

Dunno what we're going to do other than have a plate of sloppy eggs and bacon in one of the surrounding hotels. I heard the Arora is the best of a bad lot. Didn't they once play host to a short lived Rhodes restaurant?