• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Robson Street (or thereabouts) Restaurant Recs

kimabima

I am coming to Vancouver to spend a day shopping and catching up with my daughter. Can anyone recommend a nice, fairly inexpensive and casual restaurant for a mom-daughter dinner?

I am looking for somewhere where two can eat for under $100.00 and just relax after a day of retail therapy.

Thanks.

Hello,

In the Robson street area you are blessed with lots of restaurants and depending on style of food, you can easily get away with $100 for the two of you.

Cin Cin - main courses here run around the $20-25 mark for great pasta, very nice atmosphere and attentive service.

Zin - located in the Pacific Palisades Hotel, this is a fun spot to try a bunch of smaller plates - lots of diversity.

At the west end of Robson, (past the Palisades) are a number of very good Asian restaurants which are not only fun but really cheap as well - Hapa Izakaya, Gyoza King etc., nothing fancy but very good food.

Chambar - this is a little further afield than Robson, but depending where on Robson yo are staying this could be relatively close - Belgian theme, very good food, great service.

Yaletown - again depending on where you are staying on Robson could be quite convenient - lots of options here including Hamilton Street Bar & Grill, Rodneys Oyster House, Brix (nice area to roam around in the early evening before dinner, lots of neat little stores and a very good wine store - Taylorwoods (?).

Hopefully this helps, my information may be slightly dated, but I am sure the fellow egulleters will straighten out my recommendations as required. I haven't been back in the Vancouver area since November.

Might I also add the 2 Guus on Robson? The first one is actually on Thurlow, the 2nd one, Guu with Garlic, is further down Robson towards Hapa Izakaya.

There's also Japanese-themed desserts at Chicco Oriente Cafe (near Gyoza King), which has ice cream parfaits (tiramisu, green tea, black sesame, red bean, creme caramel & the like), some Japanese-style cakes (Mont Blanc, earl grey chiffon cake, etc.), and serves Illy coffee. Nice afternoon "respite' from shopping :smile:

Depending on the age of your daughter, I would not suggest Rodney's.

The atmosphere is similar to a college frat house and might not be appropriate for a younger child. Plus it is not that cheap either.

I would highly suggest the Hamilton Street Grill.

Great food, good prices and great service.

"Why then, the world is mine oyster, which I with sword, shall open."

William Shakespeare-The Merry Wives of Windsor

"An oyster is a French Kiss that goes all the way." Rodney Clark

"Oyster shuckers are the rock stars of the shellfish industry." Jason Woodside

"Obviously, if you don't love life, you can't enjoy an oyster."

Eleanor Clark

I know casual and inexpensive but really good places line Robson and I have never spent $100 for my husband and I to eat unless we want high end meals..for the fun meals that we grab amidst our shopping adventures ..we spend more like $60 /2 and about $30/2 lunch to eat and drink quite well on our very frequent trips (tip included)

Simba's is just off Robson .(I am sorry I can not remember the street but it is listed) ....very reasonable and good West African food ...

I have eaten at Zin twice and was disapointed in the price and quality of the food and service there ...

also White Tower for really reasonable Greek food is on Robson as well ..

there are so many places to eat I can not imagine you will go too wrong ..

I have tried several of the Korean places and they were all really reasonable and good food

Edited by hummingbirdkiss (log)
why am I always at the bottom and why is everything so high? 

why must there be so little me and so much sky?

Piglet 

Might I also add the 2 Guus on Robson?  The first one is actually on Thurlow, the 2nd one, Guu with Garlic, is further down Robson towards Hapa Izakaya.

There's also Japanese-themed desserts at Chicco Oriente Cafe (near Gyoza King), which has ice cream parfaits (tiramisu, green tea, black sesame, red bean, creme caramel & the like), some Japanese-style cakes (Mont Blanc, earl grey chiffon cake, etc.), and serves Illy coffee.  Nice afternoon "respite' from shopping  :smile:

Thanks everyone for all the ideas. I will write them all down and let my daughter choose.

My daughter is 26 by the way!

Do you need reservations for the Hamilton Street Grill?

That Japanese dessert place sounds awesome!

(sorry for the delay in replying-I asked for email notification of replies and have yet to receive one.)

Just to clarify, Chicco Cafe is actually right next to Gyoza King (so between Nicola & Cardero). Apparently they were one of the first places in Vancouver to offer matcha lattes! I recommend the tiramisu parfait - I love the pieces of coffee-soaked cake in it :wub: Some of the other parfaits have additions like corn flakes, red beans, and creme caramel.

• 2 weeks later...
Just to clarify, Chicco Cafe is actually right next to Gyoza King (so between Nicola & Cardero).  Apparently they were one of the first places in Vancouver to offer matcha lattes!  I recommend the tiramisu parfait - I love the pieces of coffee-soaked cake in it  :wub:  Some of the other parfaits have additions like corn flakes, red beans, and creme caramel.

I also think that Chicco Cafe is a very interesting place to have a dessert. I love the black sesame ice cream, although it may not be for everyone.

Of the Asian inspired places listed above, I think Hapa Ikazaya is the best of the bunch, and there is also newly opened EBISU which is very close to the shopping area so it would be very convenient for you two. The creme brulee cheesecake there is to die for!