• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Farm Fresh Butter

jrobin

We found a great little dairy farm that is selling fresh milk and a few dairy products. While I love the milk, the butter they make has a slight cheese flavor and smell to it. Is that normal?

Maybe I have grown so used to store bought butter I don't really know what fresh is.

Jennifer

Yes, it's normal. The butter in question is almost certainly made from cultured (or clabbered, the term my grandmother used) cream rather than "sweet" or uncultured cream. It's nothing to do with whether it's fresh or not: you can actually freeze the butter and it will still have that nice butter-y/cheese-y smell and flavor.

Can you pee in the ocean?

Yes, it's normal. The butter in question is almost certainly made from cultured (or clabbered, the term my grandmother used) cream rather than "sweet" or uncultured cream. It's nothing to do with whether it's fresh or not: you can actually freeze the butter and it will still have that nice butter-y/cheese-y smell and flavor.

It's so nice to find someone else who knows the term "clabber"! I usually get blank looks with that word.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown