• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Malted milk powder

mamster

Last Tuesday I got a pair of wisdom teeth yanked out; it was relatively benign as these things go, and I had an excuse to drink chocolate malts three days in a row. I got some good commercial chocolate ice cream, whole milk, and a jar of Carnation Malted Milk powder. I am not complaining about milkshakes three days in a row, but these were not malty at all--they were just milkshakes. I tried putting in a ludicrous amount of malt powder and the stuff just doesn't have a malty taste.

Now, I've had plenty of malts from Baskin-Robbins that were plenty malty. Is there a brand or source of malt powder I should be looking for? I'm out of wisdom teeth, but I'm sure I can come up with another excuse.

Matthew Amster-Burton, aka "mamster"

Author, Hungry Monkey, coming in May

Maybe they've changed the stuff. I drank Malteds made by my grandfather with that Carnation Powder for many many years and it always tasted fairly "malty". But its been years.

A websearch finds these guys. It's a complete crapshoot if you try it, I guess.

Somewhere on usenet I recall seeing mention of Horlick's Malted Milk Powder. Actually a websearch for "Horlicks Malted Milk" gets a lot of hints. Try a google search. Here's one example of a web-store I found with it.

I also saw suggestions posted to look in Spanish Bodegas for Horlick's, as little sense as that makes for what appears to be a British product.

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

This is good to know. When I asked my dad, no slouch in the malt-fandom department himself, he said, "You have to use Horlick's." I said, "You can't call your product 'Horlick's'--it's obscene."

Matthew Amster-Burton, aka "mamster"

Author, Hungry Monkey, coming in May

Horlick's

I can find it in the Dekalb Farmer's Market in Atlanta--I think it's available in many upscale grocery stores.

Far superior to Carnation.

When I was young and thin I used to love to drink a mug of hot whole milk & Horlicks before bedtime--but now that's a rare treat. It's good as is or with a little honey.

Happiness is a good malted :smile:

Well, what about Ovaltine? Supposedly, the American ovaltine has been toned down in terms of overall maltiness. (Is that a word?) But, the European version of Ovaltine still has maximum maltiness. Give it a go, you can buy it Here!

Also, what about malt extract? I have a bag of the stuff - it is like a brown powder. I bought it to use in making bagels, but would it work in a malted? Maybe that is the answer...

-Tim

"Things go better with cake." -Marcel Desaulniers

timoblog!

I just thought I would mention that I found a product called "Horlicks Natural Malties" while shopping recently at a Japanese candy store here in Seattle. They are tablets that sort of look like light tan Tums and have a similar consistency. I assume you're supposed to chew them like candy for quick energy and nutrients (?), but they taste more like toated wheat flour than malted milk. A very odd item.

Still haven't seen Holicks malted milk powder in any local stores, though.

• 6 years later...

An oldie but a goodie!

I'm trying to make a malted shake. I've got Horlick's, Milo, and Ovaltine.

Horlick's seems to be the most highly recommended, but by the time I added enough Horlick's to get a nice malty flavour, it was also way to sweet.

I know I should just bite the bullet and try the other two, but I have a limited amount of Haagen Dazs ice cream, plus I'm already chubby and don't need to add to my chubbiness with all that experimentation.

So. . . I'm wondering if anyone has compared the three drink mixes--is one more malty than the others?

Should I maybe add some Whoppers to my shake to make it more malty?

What about malted milk powder http://www.ctlcolfax.com/maltedmilk.htm . Would that be an even better option?

I use the the Colfax stuff you listed at the bottom and love it.  Just tastes right to me.

Darn. That's going to be harder for me to source! Mail order to Canada is probably too expensive (factoring in shipping and duty).

I made another Horlick's malt tonight. I've decided it's really the ice cream that's too sweet. Must try other brands, but ice cream is so expensive in Japan! I don't want to waste my money on crap!

Ever since the 1950's, it's always been Carnation Malted Milk Powder. We still have a jar in the cupboard, been awhile since I made it.

However, a new ice cream shop opened nearby recently, and everyone was raving how good their malts were. Went there to find that they spoon out Carnation Malted Milk Powder to make their malts.

They taste to me like the best I ever had since 50 years ago.

I dunno...

doc

I use the the Colfax stuff you listed at the bottom and love it.  Just tastes right to me.

Darn. That's going to be harder for me to source! Mail order to Canada is probably too expensive (factoring in shipping and duty).

I made another Horlick's malt tonight. I've decided it's really the ice cream that's too sweet. Must try other brands, but ice cream is so expensive in Japan! I don't want to waste my money on crap!

Maybe Rob could mail order some to someone in Kansas City for pickup.

I'd be happy to help - just let me know.

For those saying anything is best, I'd be interested to hear why. When I was looking around a couple of years ago, I looked first at overall taste (maltiness), then sugar content, then other fillers and that's what led me to CTL. I just find it the best overall package.

We've started using dry malt extract from my husband's homebrew supplies. He's always the one who makes the malteds, so I don't really know about proportions, but I can tell you that the ingredients are milk, Hershey's chocolate syrup, light DME, and vanilla ice cream. We haven't yet started playing around with other colors of DME.

MelissaH

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

We've started using dry malt extract from my husband's homebrew supplies. He's always the one who makes the malteds, so I don't really know about proportions, but I can tell you that the ingredients are milk, Hershey's chocolate syrup, light DME, and vanilla ice cream. We haven't yet started playing around with other colors of DME.

MelissaH

Melissa beat me to it, but dry malt extract (DME) is pure malt sugar (well it should be anyway). You want the lightest you can find (it typically comes in light, medium and dark - which isn't the same as medium or dark sugar - medium is for amber beers, dark for dark beers). A homebrew supply store is the place to get it. Be aware that it's very hygroscopic (easily absorbs water - and once it does, it's toast) so be sure to keep it very tightly sealed. You should be able to buy as little as a pound.

Edited by mgaretz (log)

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

I'd be happy to help - just let me know.

For those saying anything is best, I'd be interested to hear why.  When I was looking around a couple of years ago, I looked first at overall taste (maltiness), then sugar content, then other fillers and that's what led me to CTL.  I just find it the best overall package.

I think I turned you on to CTL a few years ago in an old post on this board. I still think it has the best malt flavor. I tasted them all before starting to make malt shakes at my shop; nothing else comes close. It is manufactured in Wisconsin, the original home of Horlicks. I remember reading that CTL acquired Horlick's recipe, but I can't locate the source of this information.

Ilene