• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Grown-Up Soda (GUS)

Pam R

I sampled three flavours of GUS today. I generally drink water or iced tea, and rarely go for the carbonated stuff. GUS sodas are dry (lightly sweetened with cane sugar) and refreshing. The flavours I tried today were Meyer Lemon, Pomegranate and Valencia Orange.

These are completely new to me - and I'm wondering if they're readily available elsewhere. If you've tried them, what are your favorites? I can order the other flavours, and I'm happy to try them, but I'm pretty happy with the ones I have on hand.

Last question for the moment - at almost double the price of a regular soda (Coke, Pepsi, etc.), do you think they're worth the price?

The company is based around here (New York metro area) so we see them at many of the better stores. The Meyer lemon flavor is terrific. I would also suggest you try the grapefruit -- it's probably my favorite of the ones I've tried. I drink so little soda that, to me, the cost isn't much of an issue. For someone who drinks a six-pack a day it might be more relevant.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Grapefruit - not my favourite flavour, but I know my customers will like it so I'll add it to my next order.

I agree with you about the price. I drink so little soda that I'm willing to spend a little more for a really good one.

I wonder how the ginger soda is . . .

These sound good. (And they sound they'd be good mixed with vodka too!) Their website says that the only place in Kansas City to get them is The Better Cheddar. Which reminds me that I've been meaning to go there anyway, as the cheese selection in my fridge is getting dangerously low.

My wallet hates you guys sometimes...

"Nothing you could cook will ever be as good as the $2.99 all-you-can-eat pizza buffet." - my EX (wonder why he's an ex?)

My eGfoodblog: My corner of the Midwest

on one of the other threads - the fizzy lizzy one i think- i mentioned that i had tried these. i, too, usually drink water or unsweetened iced tea but the valencia orange and meyer lemon intrigued me. now i get them about twice a month, one bottle of each, at our local stop and shop. at 1.29 a bottle i don't mind the cost.

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

• 2 weeks later...

the ginger ale is very good

�As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy, and to make plans.� - Ernest Hemingway, in �A Moveable Feast�

Brooklyn, NY, USA

The grapefruit is my very favorite. The lemon is my next favorite. I like things really tart and dry. I rarely drink regular soda because it is so syrupy. I was happy when I found these, however I can only get them when I visit my Dad in Texas.

-Becca

www.porterhouse.typepad.com

• 1 month later...

I second this.

I sampled GUS on a trip to Chicago a few months ago, and fell in love with the Ginger Ale. Much drier than others without being extremely spicy (not that I don't love a spicy ginger ale).

I'm a big fan of rye whiskey and ginger ale as a summer libation, and drier g.a.'s tend to work better for that. Highly recommended.

Tim

I second this.

I sampled GUS on a trip to Chicago a few months ago, and fell in love with the Ginger Ale. Much drier than others without being extremely spicy (not that I don't love a spicy ginger ale).

I'm a big fan of rye whiskey and ginger ale as a summer libation, and drier g.a.'s tend to work better for that. Highly recommended.

Where did you find GUS in Chicago? I live there and I want to find me some!!!

"One Hundred Years From Now It Will Not Matter What My Bank Account Was, What Kind of House I lived in, or What Kind of Car I Drove, But the World May Be A Better Place Because I Was Important in the Life of A Child."

LIFES PHILOSOPHY: Love, Live, Laugh

hmmm - as it appears if you are eating good food with the ones you love you will be living life to its fullest, surely laughing and smiling throughout!!!

Speaking of grown up Sodas, my outright favourite is Fentimans - They use a lot of Ginger in their recipes, giving their drinks a really firey kick.

Their 'Curiosity Cola' is particularly good, if you've ever had those miniature Cola bottle gummies - It tastes exactly like those.

Please take a quick look at my stuff.

Flickr foods

Blood Sugar

At 22 g of sugar per 12 oz bottle, GUS contains 46% less sugar than Coke. It's still a lot of sugar to my way of thinking. But if you aren't pre-diabetic, enjoy!

Thank God for tea! What would the world do without tea? How did it exist? I am glad I was not born before tea!

- Sydney Smith, English clergyman & essayist, 1771-1845

Wow, this is interesting! As an occasional soda drinker who dislikes too-sweet beverages I'd like to try some of this stuff-I live in the hinterlands so probably I will have to wait a while before it becomes available here....Hearing about the Meyer lemon flavor reminds me of Schweppe's Bitter Lemon-it used to be sold in the mixer section of grocery stores but I haven't seen it in years.

• 1 month later...

We're not big soda drinkers, but my wife has become a much bigger one with pregnancy.

The Dry Crimson Grape (or something) GuS is really quite lovely. In KC, in addition to The Better Cheddar, it is available at McGonigle's. Actually, I don't think that flavor is any longer, because I bought it out on clearance a couple months ago (30-40 bottles at $2/four-pack).

They also sell Fentiman's, and the seville orange jigger is terrific.

You can get it at the Trotter's to Go on Monroe between Franklin and Wells. You used to be able to get it at the State Street Marshall Fields (now, who knows). I feel like I've seen it a few other places, but can't think of any at the moment.

-Josh

Now blogging at http://jesteinf.wordpress.com/

Pam you asked about the price?

well I am in the minority here

would I buy these considering the cost?

absolutely not! I have to say someone gave me one to taste ...

I can not believe how expensive a combo of 12oz of fizzy water and juice can be! I am not surprised that the only place around here you can find them is at the Metropolitan Market... a very pretentious overpriced store that I do not go into unless I can not find what I need anywhere else...and even then I will reconsider my menu before shopping there!

yes they are good ...no I would not buy it....

I could make a pitcher of spritzers with fresh juice for the price of one bottle!!!!

...I can not imagine drinking something this expensive that did not give me a buzz!!! So it is less sweet than soda? squeeze a lemon!

sorry I was just astounded when I tasted this then saw the price ...

I guess if it does not matter to you how much you spend on 12 oz of fizzy fruit flavored drinks then this is one of the best ...but no it is not for me! I would rather buy a piece of fruit and drink water with it!

Edited by hummingbirdkiss (log)
why am I always at the bottom and why is everything so high? 

why must there be so little me and so much sky?

Piglet 

What do they sell for out your way?

I don't know that you're in the minority - but my concerns weren't an issue. We sell a bottle for 1.85 CDN, and they've become very popular, very quickly. I've restocked them twice and I'm almost out, so will be placing another order this week.

What do they sell for out your way?

I don't know that you're in the minority - but my concerns weren't an issue. We sell a bottle for 1.85 CDN, and they've become very popular, very quickly. I've restocked them twice and I'm almost out, so will be placing another order this week.

I have seen them at 2.50 a 12 oz bottle!!! but again it is at the most pretentious market in town..they jack up the price on everything with out shame! ..I am sure if the price were less than $2 a bottle here I would not have even noticed! and I am sure that if another market carried them they would be more reasonable in price....

I love to spend money on good food and drinks but that just seemed out of line to me!

why am I always at the bottom and why is everything so high? 

why must there be so little me and so much sky?

Piglet 

You can get it at the Trotter's to Go on Monroe between Franklin and Wells. You used to be able to get it at the State Street Marshall Fields (now, who knows). I feel like I've seen it a few other places, but can't think of any at the moment.

I know Fox and Obel has carried it.