• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

How They Do Fried Chicken in Texas

I have wonderful memories of the fried chicken and stews, when I would stay with my grandparents. On Sundays, my grandfather would take my grandmother and me to whichever small town or church was having a picnic or fund raiser.

Recently I had the good fortune to come across one of these, still frying chicken in the tried and true traditional method. It was absolutely delicious. Here is a link to some video clips I took. And while you're there be sure to check out Tom Faulkner's wonderful song about Fried Chicken Skin.

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=JayPFrancis

Kent, I look forward to doing more research in order to answer your question for myself. I'm not sure if this is the only small community that still uses these cast iron kettles or if other communities do to. It will be fun doing the research.