• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Wine in a vinagrette?

thecuriousone

Has anyone ever used the wine that will be served for dinner in place of a mild vinegar?  Possibly the remnants of a bottle that should not go to waste?

I would appreciate any comments on whether or not you have seen it done.  Thanks  H. Lee

Not in lieu of, but a tad of nice red in the vinigarette helps the flavor.

And ,you can take the leftover wine and make a very nice vinegar out of it

Bud

Wine doesn't really have the acidity needed to make a good vinaigrette-type dressing, so if you want to do a wine-based dressing you'll want to be sure to compensate by adding something like lemon juice for acidity.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

It also wouldn't be a bad idea to reduce the wine a bit and then mix it with a little more acid. It will hold a better emulsification and intensify the flavor.

Ryan Jaronik

Executive Chef

Monkey Town

NYC

Bud-

Could you tell me more?  Do you keep the ratios the same?  1 to 3 or 4?  What types of vinegar do you use?  Is there a recipe that you can forward to should I just go into the kitchen and start playing?

H. Lee

I start with the usual 1to 3 and then add a bit of straight red wine for added flavor...Have never measured...Add and taste..

A squeeze of onion and garlic juice helps as well...

For vinegar I Usually use homemade red wine vinegar, or Sherry vinegar (la posada) A bit of lecitin also keeps it emulsified as well..

Bud

years ago we used to make a burnt wine salad dressing. it was in the nouveau days. you pour your older wine in a very hot sauce pan and cook it down by half. then wisk in a touch of dijon,salt and pepper then a light oil (grapeseed or corn). you will see that you dont need much oil,,more like equal parts. try this,,,it really is pretty good!