• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Banned in U.S., but available in Europe

BrodeurR

My wife and I will be travelling in Europe (from Frankfurt to Paris to Amsterdam and back to the beginning is what we have planned so far, but we may go some other places if we have time) for a couple of weeks in May. I know there are things that are eaten in Europe that are unavailable or even illegal in the US. I want to try as many of these things as possible. Now the question, what are "these things", and where can I find them? Also, I'd be happy to take any other "make sure you try this" advice too.

Thanks!

My wife and I will be travelling in Europe (from Frankfurt to Paris to Amsterdam and back to the beginning is what we have planned so far, but we may go some other places if we have time) for a couple of weeks in May. I know there are things that are eaten in Europe that are unavailable or even illegal in the US. I want to try as many of these things as possible. Now the question, what are "these things", and where can I find them? Also, I'd be happy to take any other "make sure you try this" advice too.

Thanks!

I'm reading Devil's Picnic* at the moment, and there are plenty of suggestions in that book! My first thought is that you should definitely try some raw milk cheeses. Epoisses is the obvious example but there are many others.

Si

*I don't necessarily recommend ortolan, criadillas, absinthe or that bizarre cheese with maggots mentioned in the book.

Whale meat? Or is that imorted to the US?

?? Is that something you could typically get in those European places listed? The only place I've ever had whale meat is Iceland - and haven't seen it in any other country I've been to in Europe....although I haven't been to Norway and I guess I've never specifically looked for it, either.

As for my suggestion (not particularly unique or exciting) but you should try foie gras in France - depending on where you're from and if it's banned there. And, agree with Si on the Epoisses. cheese, cheese, cheese! :smile:

52 martinis blog

@52martinis

And since I can't find Whelks and Periwinkles here in NJ, I will add get a nice seafood tower in Paris....

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

Not banned in the US but difficult to find here are good quality schnapps. I'm not sure what the top flavors are in Germany but in Austria apricot and gentian are two popular ones. You may get some more ideas for unique spirits from each of countries by perusing this thread: Unusual Liqueurs

(These may serve as some nice souvenirs as well...)

Edited by ludja (log)

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

Young raw milk cheeses, they definitely beat out anything here. (Minimum ageing per USDA for "legal" raw cheeses is aged 60 days)......Amsterdam, uhh, I think that one is pretty obvious, although that's not really something I would eat per se........Dave Lebovitz's blog had a posting about horse milk recently. All over Europe I would go for the cured meats, because many of the varieties and styles cannot be made or found in the States. The Yogurt over there also seems to taste better too.

..  All over Europe I would go for the cured meats, because many of the varieties and styles cannot be made or found in the States.  ...

Yes, cured meats, sausages and cold cuts would definately be among the top things I would search for in Germany although I'd also check out what was on hand in that category in France and the Netherlands given the first itinerary.

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

Cheese Cheese and more Cheese. I second, third and fourth the Epoisses...again - emphasizing all cheeses cheeses and more cheeses...ah the luxury of raw milk REAL cheese...I am so robbed here in the U.S. Maybe Oboma will change the cheese laws if he becomes president...HAHAH

"One Hundred Years From Now It Will Not Matter What My Bank Account Was, What Kind of House I lived in, or What Kind of Car I Drove, But the World May Be A Better Place Because I Was Important in the Life of A Child."

LIFES PHILOSOPHY: Love, Live, Laugh

hmmm - as it appears if you are eating good food with the ones you love you will be living life to its fullest, surely laughing and smiling throughout!!!

Blood sausage.

Blood sausage is legit in the US. I had some a few months ago.

Absolutely; it can just be difficult to find if you don't hava a German butcher/deli (ask for Blutwurst) or access to French sausages (boudin noir). That being said, while it may not be illegal it's not that common so you may enjoy it if you don't have access to German sausages where you're travelling from.

Thanks for all of the suggestions so far everybody. I can't wait to try these. Also, we just found out that we'll be visiting London for a few days. Anything suggestions there?

Whale meat? Or is that imorted to the US?

?? Is that something you could typically get in those European places listed? The only place I've ever had whale meat is Iceland - and haven't seen it in any other country I've been to in Europe....although I haven't been to Norway and I guess I've never specifically looked for it, either.

As for my suggestion (not particularly unique or exciting) but you should try foie gras in France - depending on where you're from and if it's banned there. And, agree with Si on the Epoisses. cheese, cheese, cheese! :smile:

I know that Norway has it, along with a limited whaling industry. I saw it for sure in the fish market of Trondheim last summer, though I image you would find it in Bergen, Oslo, etc. It's impressive looking stuff; almost black in appearence and expensive as sin:)

In the Germanic countries cold cuts are indeed good (and many kinds of bread, different whole grains etc; newly arrived co-worker from NL some years ago: "Where can you find bread in the US? I have looked in supermarkets and the range is limited"). Standard breakfast and lunch fare there.

But what the central countries have especially is wild mushrooms. In various forms such as canned, year-round. I've seen displays in even the small neighborhood storefront supermarkets (a typical kind of retailer there) comparable to the Campbell's Soup displays in US markets.

Arm yourself with food-specific vocabularies even if you're fluent. (For German as spoken in Germany the Marling Menu-Master is a tiny pocket reference, ISBN 0912818018.)

Pfifferlinge (chanterelles) and Steinpilzen (boletes, cepes, porcini) are choice common wild mushroom types commonly encountered (though not explained very specifically in the Marling).

--

"... the Belgians, who are reputed to make the best french fries in the world, swear by horse fat." -- Russ Parsons, 2001 (ISBN 039596783X)

where in the U.S. are you from? what is and isn't available here varies widely.

for example, in NY most wild mushrooms, blood sausage and the like are readily available. elsewhere it varies (although I think you can find dried morels and the like pretty much anywhere in the U.S.)

some cured meats (Jamon Iberico of course) and raw milk cheeses are the items that really stand out.

legitimately good absinthe (not the Czech or Spanish varieties)...are often shipped to the U.S. but you can buy it in person in Switzerland (and to some extent, France). many other alcohols are also unobtainable or very difficult to obtain in the U.S. (creme de violette only being the most lamented of many such).

Clarification to my previous posting: I didn't mean to suggest that wild mushrooms are hard to find in US. (I grew up with them in the US and my father even farmed them in rural northern California, see 2005 Truffle tutorial. Have also bought them in NY and other states.)

Point on wild mushrooms is they have long been much more and commonly integrated into consumer habits in central Europe. Like a necessity, rather than a novelty. You will see, when you spot one of those canned displays in an ordinary neighborhood market.

Add me to the young raw milk cheese bandwagon...

If I ever have occasion to visit France, I WILL be heading over to the nearest fromagerie to experience raw milk epoisses and brie de meaux (for starters).

Also, I'd like to try raw milk, unhomogenized milk and unpasteurized heavy cream. I know that these things can be found in the U.S., but they're not easy to find. And in a lot of places in the U.S., the sale of raw milk is illegal.

Edited by Kris (log)

I think everyone covered the usual suspects---but when I was in Paris I was delighted to discover these slender dry salami sticks in every butcher. I called them salami Slim Jims and they were great portable snacks. Even better were the "chorizettes" we found at Le Bon Marche which were like chorizo Slim Jims.

What about Pig's Fries, don't know if they're illegal across the pond, but they're difficult to get hold of ... :blink: ahh, mmm, you know what I mean.

In France they haven't abandoned their love of Offal, etc.

If your in London, you might be able to get a good haggis.

Jon