• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ever buy a product just to get the prize?

torakris

hehehe, thanks for reminding me FFB, just recalled that Singaporeans fell for a similar McD's promotion a few years later (allowing us HK'ers to regain face)....remember the Hello Kitty and Dear Daniel debacle....

"We wish to extend our sincere apologies and thanks to the Singapore Police Force, Ministry of the Environment, Singapore Civil Defense Force, and everyone who has been inconvenienced during this promotion."

said McD's PR dept hahahaha after 300,000 people decided they didn't want to miss out on a TOY.

I am now thoroughly convinced that torakris is buying up all available Pepsi stock, preventing any of it from reaching the Kansai area. I've been to who-knows-how-many stores, and I can find Diet Pepsi, Pepsi Next, Pepsi Twist (or whatever the lemon one is called), but no regular pepsi.

Kristin, get your hands off my pepsi!! Or at least off my magnets!!! :angry:

:biggrin:

Gee Rona,

They are in almost every store here.. :biggrin:

If you still can't find them let me know, I can force my kids to drink a couple bottles of Pepsi.

Those McDonald's Snoopys were in Japan as well. After feeding my kids Happy Meals almost daily for a couple weeks I think I managed to collect almost all of them. :blink: We still have them...

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

Those Snoopy McD give-aways turned up at my son's cub scout garage sale in California a few years ago from someone who spent time in Japan. Most of them were left over so I got to keep them since the sale was at my house. The quality (size and detail) was SO much better than what we get here for prizes. As for the Teenie Beanie Babies- that was a push and shove situation here! I saw questions on internet forums asking about how to somehow freeze and re-heat all those Happy Meals purchased soley for the toys.

I despise Burger King but ate there for an entire month to get the entire collection of four Nightmare Before Christmas watches (a different one each week!).

Here's a picture of three of the four I got...

Oh, yeah, and a friend of mine in France has a whole set of swirled glass drinking glasses that were originally Nutella jars. I only managed to bring back two on our last trip there, and lost the snap-on plastic lid to one.  In the USA, Nutella comes in floppy plastic jars with screw-on lids.  :sad:

gallery_21505_2929_906.jpg

Suzy, you mean like these in the upper right of the pic? Those are (were) Nutella jars as well..

A couple of years ago Nutella came in these 'kikker'(frog) glasses. Kikker is a character from Dutch children's books, invented by artist Max Velthuijs. I love those books and I had to have those glasses.. a new one came out every month or so.. I bought them all and i don't even eat that much Nutella... But they are so cute!

gallery_21505_2929_1342.jpg

I despise Burger King but ate there for an entire month to get the entire collection of four Nightmare Before Christmas watches (a different one each week!).

Here's a picture of three of the four I got...

White-hot envy, here. Cool!

I do have the Squidward watch, from the SpongeBob series. I love it.

"Oh, tuna. Tuna, tuna, tuna." -Andy Bernard, The Office