• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

anniversary dinner

Veghead

I am literally just in the door after a wonderful meal at Fuel. We had the 5-course tasting menu with wine pairings and it was marvellous. The first course was a celery veloute with steel-head trout caviar; second was lemon-parsely risotto with smoked albacore tuna; third crispy trout with Swiss chard, candy cane beets, carmalized lemon reduction; fourth - lamb loin with a parsnip puree; desert was a chocolate dream- machine! Wines: Shepard's Ridge Sauv Blanc; Joie Reisling; Kalena Chardonnay; Penfold's Shiraz; Tawny Port.

And the bread is extraordinary and addicitve. Sorry for the brief descriptions that don't do the menu justice. It is definintely worthy of a special occasion. Service was excellent - I was concerned at first as our waitress seemed young. I shouldn't have worried. Attentive in all the right ways, inobtrusive, attentive without being overbearing, knowledgable and cheerful. Room is small but not too noisy, despite a very open kitchen and tables are nicely spaced. I highly recommend it. I haven't been to Ocean 617 so can't compare. I have been to Pear Tree and I think Fuel is easily the equal. I tasting menus and Fuel is in the top rank that the city has to offer.

Cheers,

Karole

My votes are either the Pear Tree, Rare, or Parkside.

I was surprised on my birthday with the Pear Tree, and we weren't disappointed in the least.

Parkside is an all time favourite and the room has such a cozy vibe and the food is always flawless.

Rare was an exceptional experience at DOV, so I can only imagine that a regular night would be phenomenal.

IMHO, I think that all three of the above are all great values as well!

Happy anniversary!

Edited by makanmakan (log)

Quentina

Since most people's idea of a romantic dinner doesn't include a hockey game blaring from a TV somewhere check with Ocean 617 for details on their policy.

Huh? I have never even noticed a TV in there. Is this recent?

The sea was angry that day my friends... like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli.

George Costanza

Fuel is great food and service wise but if your idea of a romantic dinner includes mood lighting, Fuel's bright lighting may not work for you.

I second Rare, the food and atmosphere in there are perfect. Plus you get a personalised menu when you book, they must print menus every day and include names of guests on them. Very nice touch.

Depending on the special-ness of the occasion I will let the restaurant know. Good places will go the extra mile to make things perfect.

Stefan Posthuma

Beer - Chocolate - Cheese

Since most people's idea of a romantic dinner doesn't include a hockey game blaring from a TV somewhere check with Ocean 617 for details on their policy.

Huh? I have never even noticed a TV in there. Is this recent?

Oops!

I may have been thinking about the last incarnation in that space. :unsure: