• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cookbooks Published in 2007

mukki

• 3 weeks later...
Anybody own or seen Arabesque? I am leary only because I am half Middle Eastern and well, my late grandmother and now my mom set a pretty tough standard but at the same time I am really curious about it after hearing Claudia Roden on The Splendid Table. I think it was last week or the week before. Meanwhile I had ordered a copy of A Return to Cooking for a friend as a gift and it was backordered on Amazon until later this month. :(  Had to go with an alternative.

Arabesque is a wonderful book. I've been cooking Middle Eastern food for 40 years, but have gotten many great ideas from this book. The eggplant with pomegrante, yogurt, and pine nuts is a knock-out.

Meanwhile I had ordered a copy of A Return to Cooking for a friend as a gift and it was backordered on Amazon until later this month. :(  Had to go with an alternative.

A Return to Cooking has been remaindered, and it's available at local discount stores here in New England. (For those in MA and RI, check out your local Building 19.)

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

• 2 weeks later...

I just devoured "Desserts by the Yard" by Sherry Yard. A really great entertaining read and stroll through her life and milestones, just lovely. THe pictures and recipes are great and now I can make that great flatbread they serve at Spago, I've always asked for some to take home and they give me a box. I really really enjoyed this book!

"You can't miss with a ham 'n' egger......"

Ervin D. Williams 9/1/1921 - 6/8/2004

I just devoured "Desserts by the Yard" by Sherry Yard. A really great entertaining read and stroll through her life and milestones, just lovely. THe pictures and recipes are great and now I can make that great flatbread they serve at Spago, I've always asked for some to take home and they give me a box. I really really enjoyed this book!

Oh my GOD! I picked this up last night and came in this thread to rave about it myself. On Wednesday night I chose Dorie Greenspan's book over this one because it had more recipes and I'd wanted it for so long, but I couldn't stop thinking about how outstanding Desserts by the Yard was and so I HAD to go back for it.

I too love the amusing back stories behind many of the recipes and the way they are arranged by the time periods in her life at all these great restaurants! I pretty much read it cover to cover and can't wait to get to my grandmother's house on Monday.

Between this and the 37-page thread on Dorie's book with Dorie herself chiming in, I'm in heaven. I was about to start a thread myself! :laugh:

Meanwhile I had ordered a copy of A Return to Cooking for a friend as a gift and it was backordered on Amazon until later this month. :(  Had to go with an alternative.

A Return to Cooking has been remaindered, and it's available at local discount stores here in New England. (For those in MA and RI, check out your local Building 19.)

Yes, I recently picked up a copy at Bargain Books here in GR for $19.99.

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

• 2 months later...

I've really enjoyed reading through A Baker's Odyssey: Celebrating Time-Honored Recipes from America's Rich Immigrant Heritage by Greg Patent, though I haven't baked anything from it yet. He covers recipes from a wide-range of countries, including Norway, Italy, Iraq, Hungary, Syria, Germany, Poland and more. Here's a small sampling of recipes: Calas, Lefse, Potato Porcini Strudel, Pasteis de Nata, Assyrian Spinach Pies, Bienenstich, Turkish Semolina Sponge Cake, Beef Piroshki, Melomakarona and Lamingtons. Lots of good stuff!