• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cookbooks Published in 2007

mukki

Vegetable Harvest by Patricia Wells. Purchased last weekend and already well-read but not yet tested.

I'm a fan of her previous cookbooks as reliable sources of recipes for classic, relatively easy French food. This one seems different, however, more original and modern in its approach. It has gotten great reviews, and I think will live up to the hype.

• 2 weeks later...
I was flicking through 'Pork and Sons' at the weekend, perfect for those of us who love all things porky, See here for details

I found this book in a store in Beaune last year, and wanted to buy it them, but A) it was HUGE and I was still travelling, and B) it was originally published in French (Cochon et Fils) and my French is sketchy at best.

Thankfully I found it last weekend at Powell's in Portland, OR ... much smaller, and now translated into English!

What a beautiful and poignant book! Stunning photography and a touching insight into the lives of those who depend on the pig. Makes me wonder how I ever survived without boudin noir.

A.

"The Botanical cookbook" by Paul Wilson. The Botanical is an award winning restaurant in Melbourne, Australia. The book has a similar layout and feel to the books that Artisan releases.

"The Pig, The Olive, And The Squid: Food And Wine from Humble Beginnings" by Greg Powell. I think the book's publishers are trying to set up Australia's answer to Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall. Personally, I'd stick with Hugh.

Daniel Chan aka "Shinboners"

Just got The Summer Shack Cookbook by Jasper White for my birthday. Great read so far including a lot of material that is not in his other books (if you put all of his cookbooks together, it's hard to imagine there is an aspect of New England seafood that isn't covered.)

Doesn't include all of his Summer Shack recipes, as many of those were in previous cookbooks (like Lobster at Home or Cooking from New England), but there are many more in this one that seem worth trying.

"If the divine creator has taken pains to give us delicious and exquisite things to eat, the least we can do is prepare them well and serve them with ceremony."

~ Fernand Point

• 2 weeks later...
Fergus Henderson has got a new book coming out in August - Beyond Nose to Tail: A Kind Of British Cooking, Part II. I understand there's going to be more on bakery and desserts in it than were in Beyond Nose to Tail. Should be a belter.

Looks like the release of Beyond Nose to Tail: More Omnivorous Recipes for the Adventurous Cook will be in October. My copy's preordered!

Just got The Summer Shack Cookbook by Jasper White for my birthday.  Great read so far including a lot of material that is not in his other books (if you put all of his cookbooks together, it's hard to imagine there is an aspect of New England seafood that isn't covered.)

Doesn't include all of his Summer Shack recipes, as many of those were in previous cookbooks (like Lobster at Home or Cooking from New England), but there are many more in this one that seem worth trying.

What are some of the new ones worth trying, mikeycook?

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

My latest purchase is Chocolate & Zucchini by Clotilde Dusoulier who also did the food photos. For those who don't know, Clotilde lives in Paris and has a very helpful and well written blog (in English) which is as delicious as her recipes. This one is a keeper!!!  :wub:

I second this!!! I served a couple of Clotilde's recipes at a recent wine tasting and they were both really well recieved. (As in ... folks ask for the recipe and you have to admit that *you* weren't the brilliant one who came up with it :raz: ) Her blog by the same name is also one to add to your bookmarks.

"There are no mistakes in bread baking, only more bread crumbs"

*Bernard Clayton, Jr.

• 2 weeks later...

The layout, photography, the writing......heck, even the paper they used on the pages had a nice, strong feel to it. It was all very pleasing to the eye. It's not as if I need another French cookbook, but heck, Willan's new book is just so damned nice to look at that I'm going to buy a copy of it.

I just bought "Pork & Sons" and I absolutely love it.

Also looking forward to the babbo dessert book.

Must say, although I greatly admire Nancy silverton, I was very disappointed in "Twist of the Wrist."

I'm also very happy with Eric Gower's "The Breakaway Cook" -- a truly original work.

• 4 weeks later...

Kylie Kwong has released "My China - A Feast For All The Senses" in Australia. It's a hardback, around $AUS70, and she writes about her travels around China with recipes from each region that she's visited.

Jill Dupleix has a new cookbook, "Lighten Up", and it follows the style of all her recent cookbooks with quick and simple recipes. $AUS40.

Finally, there's "Secrets Of The Red Lantern" by Nguyen/Nguyen/Jensen. It's a very personal book with many personal stories and photographs and lot and plenty of Vietnamese recipes. This book will set you back $AUS60.

Edited by Shinboners (log)

According to Amazon UK the new hardcover book - "Recipes from a 3 Star Chef" by Gordon Ramsay - will be published on October 5, 2007; but I just saw a copy in a downtown Tokyo bookstore (Oct 2nd). Unfortunately it was wrapped up tight in impenetrable plastic, and I didn't have the 11,000 Yen* on me to purchase the monster (large format book in a slip-in case)!

Anyone had a look-see?

* Only GBP24 on Amazon UK

Edited by I8U8 (log)

Regards,

Peter

• 2 weeks later...

"Cheese Slices" by Will Studd. It's a comprehensive book about cheese, covering everything from selection of milk to the final product. $AUS 80.

"French Lessons" by Justin North. A very good book for those who want to get into French cooking. $AUS 60.

I picked up Chocolate & Zucchini a couple weeks ago and have really enjoyed how it embraces simple fresh dishes. I'm anxious to try the pistachio pesto.

My newest pickup is Tangy, Tart, Hot and Sweet by Padma Lakshmi (the host of Top Chef). I haven't had a chance to cook out of it yet, but I'm hoping that it might break me out of a rut and introduce me to some new flavors. It seems like a nice take on contemporary international cuisine. I don't think it would really be an everyday thing, but I'm hoping it can be a valuable resource on date night. Has anyone cooked out of this yet?

"In a perfect world, cooks who abuse fine cutlery would be locked in a pillory and pelted with McNuggets."

- Anthony Bourdain

Is the Justin North book better than the Becasse book?

"Becasse" and "French Lessons" are different types of books, so I don't think you can say that one is better than the other. It just depends on what you're after.

I love the "Becasse" book because of the essays about his suppliers and the recipes being presented as they would be done in his restaurant.

By contrast, "French Lessons" (which I don't own, I've just browsed through it) has the home cook in mind. I'm not going to buy this book as I have many of the recipes and techniques in other books in my collection. But if someone asked me to recommend a book for beginners or a good one for the home cook, then this one would be as good as any other one.

I just bought -- and am dazzled by --"Demolition Desserts" by Elizabeth Faulkner, chef/owner of Citizen Cake in San Francisco. It's a dazzler of a book --crammed with great fotos and intriguing recipes (with lots of helpful tips) and entertaining commentary. If you can't get to San Francisco as often as you crave great cupcakes, for example, you now can create them in your own kitchen. A brief, personal review on my blog: http//:caseyellis.blogspot.com

Has anybody seen The Oxford Companion to Italian Food by Gillian Riley ? Saw an ad in a cooking magazine and a reference on Amazon, but don't know anything further about the book and would appreciate anybody's feedback if they've seen or read it. Thanks

Mark A. Bauman

• 2 weeks later...

"Holiday" by Bill Granger. It's the usual from Granger - lot's of quick and easy recipes, plenty of photos of Granger! $AUS50.

"Maggie's Harvest" by Maggie Beer. This is a 600 page monster. She divides the book into seasons, and then into ingredients that fall into each season. From there, she writes about how she produces the ingredients at her farm, about the ingredient itself and then provides recipes. People who love the likes of Stephanie Alexander, Alice Waters, Elizabeth David and Amander Hesser will like this book. IT'll set you back $AUS100.

"MoVida" by Camorra and Cornish. MoVida is a Spanish restaurant in Melbourne, Australia, and naturally, this book is full of Spanish recipes (adapted to Australia). $AUS45.

ahem, another list i'm on allows for something called BSP (blatant self-promotion). file this under that heading (or however you choose to file it):

(starred review in PW): "How to Pick a Peach", Russ Parsons: "Equal parts cookbook, agricultural history, ....

It ain't bragging if it is true! This book is a must read, in fact the only one even close in shear must have quality that I"ve found this year -or maybe that was last- was "Charcutrie".

Great Job Mr. Parsons. Thanks for your good work.

Robert

Seattle

ahem, another list i'm on allows for something called BSP (blatant self-promotion). file this under that heading (or however you choose to file it):

(starred review in PW): "How to Pick a Peach", Russ Parsons: "Equal parts cookbook, agricultural history, chemistry lesson and produce buying guide, this densely packed book is a food lover's delight...For readers who have always wondered where their food comes from, why it tastes the way it does and how to pick a peach, a melon or a green bean, this book will be an invaluable resource."

and now on Publisher's Weekly (PW) list of Best Books 2007

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Indulge by Claire Clark and Thomas Keller. It is 100 desert recipes from French Laundry. Coming out sometime in October according to Amazon.

Quite a useful book for the dedicated amateur chef,however the publicity doesnt quite match the contents. The claim that the author is one of the top 3 pastry chefs in the world owes more to over-enthusiastic PR than reality. Fairly good but not in the same class as Herme, Bau, Torreblanca, Notter etc etc.

Edited by confiseur (log)

Today I'm headed out to go pick up The French Culinary Institute's Fundamental Techniques of Classic Cuisine. It is such a beautiful book and I have been lusting after it for a few weeks now.

It's basically a textbook for the students in the Total Immersion courses and has been adapted for home use. I started wanting it after I read The Sharper Your Knife, the Less You Cry because of the author's time spent at Le Cordon Bleu and I've always been a little apprehensive about French cooking. I do have Chocolate & Zucchini, which I love but want more of a primer.

At $75 it's definitely an item I could have put on my Christmas list but I can't wait any longer and I have a 30% off coupon from Borders that expires in two days. LOL

ETA: here is the link to the book; I'm in bed on my Sidekick so I can't hyperlink. Worth clicking though! Anyone else seen or have this?

http://www.amazon.com/Fundamental-Techniqu...94416920&sr=1-1

ETA2: I'm getting Arabesque for my mother - she's a bellydancer and a fanatic for all things Middle Eastern!

Edited by The Naughti Literati (log)

"Turquoise - A Chef's Journey Through Turkey" by Greg and Lucy Malouf has just been released. It's a hardback and sells for $AUS70.00 It's a travel/writing/photography/recipe book with a similar feel to the books released by Jeffrey Alford and Naomi Duguid.