• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Would you hire a private chef?

And I know several people who could well afford to have a private chef who simply wouldn't have one of any sort (part-time, full-time, as cook or as chef) not because they like to cook so much but  because they don't like the idea of having "servants", at all. Though somehow housecleaners or nannies go around or under this radar for some reason . . .

Miligai's post was interesting to think of, as the "someone to help cook" in the way she describes her mother having is (or was) a much more common thing in other cultures than the North American one.

Having household help is more common in some countries not

for "cultural" reasons (though it gets spoken of in cultural terms)

but for old-fashioned "structural" reasons: large pools of

people (usually women) with few skills, willing to work as domestic

servants, for low pay. They have almost no other job options.

Wealthier women hire them.

This used to be the case in Western countries too, until the

Industrial Revolution and the two World Wars ended those

kinds of social and economic conditions.

I also liked your point about how some families who have the $$

will not hire a full time personal chef because of the "servant"

stigma, but housecleaners, nannies, etc. go under the radar.

I've seen housecleaners, housekeepers, and nannies often

asked to do kitchen related duites (make kids' meals, etc.)

Milagai

Absolutely... in a nanno second. I work 12 hour shifts (days and nights) 7 days in 14 and am absolutely wacked when I get home at 8 pm and am in no mood to cook as I need to jump into bed by 10pm or I'll end up watching test patterns as I have fallen asleep watching the news. My brain after 12 hours at work does not compute how to use stove. It barely figures out how to get food or foot in mouth before shut eye time.

"Flay your Suffolk bought-this-morning sole with organic hand-cracked pepper and blasted salt. Thrill each side for four minutes at torchmark haut. Interrogate a lemon. Embarrass any tough roots from the samphire. Then bamboozle till it's al dente with that certain je ne sais quoi."

Arabella Weir as Minty Marchmont - Posh Nosh