• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Would you hire a private chef?

Certainly not every night - I would miss it, surely.

But having someone available to whip something up those couple of nights a week when I get home at 8:30 or 9:00? Heck yeah.

And I'd love having someone to send to the grocery store for me...oh, joy! Greenmarket is one thing, but the grocery store on a Monday night? Eek!

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007

Set aside all considerations of cost, or size of your kitchen, or the state of your pots and pans.

If you could hire someone to cook for you on a daily basis, would you?

Why or why not?

No.

I like cooking better than eating.

SB (might hire a pro to cook if I had guests though)

Absolutely.

Well, maybe more of a cook than a chef, making menus I plan, using my recipes, cooked the way I cook them.

Private Chef Clone :wub:

Ruth Dondanville aka "ruthcooks"

“Are you making a statement, or are you making dinner?” Mario Batali

I am a private chef - I cook almost three meals a day seven days a week for an elderly gent - do this in exchange for room and groceries...

I do wish I had someone else to cook once in a while - I get too much enjoyment from it to give up the fun on a daily basis!

What fun would that be?

OK, maybe once a year if I could hire the exec chef from the long-gone Copenhagen Room. :raz:

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I love to cook but contrary to what many people said here, I would certainly hire a private chef if I had the means, particularly for those occasions when I would rather do something else than cooking. I have to admit that in order to work properly, he/she would have to kick my ass out of the kitchen.

No way. Beside the obvious reason that I would miss cooking, I'm just far too picky and fickle about what I want to eat. Sometimes I'll have dinner all planned out, only to get to the store and realize that I'm no longer in the mood for whatever I had planned and I have to change everything. Yes, this means I pretty much have to shop every day or else I waste food. One of the many things I love about cooking is having things done my way.

I would rather delegate every other household chore, to free me up and let me focus on cooking all day. That would be great. Can I hire a private driver for the kid, general housekeeper, gardener, and personal assistant, instead?

I certainly would. I have some energy limitation (health) and to be able to have real meals consistently and matching the diet I'm supposed to follow would be wonderful. I cook as I can, but too often I revert to frozen foods.

I'd also copy mizducky and make them teach me. :smile: I like to cook, I just am not always up to it.

Joanna G. Hurley

"Civilization means food and literature all round." -Aldous Huxley

Maybe sometimes. There are times when I'm completely overwhelmed and cooking is a chore, and it would be SO nice if someone else could just pick up the reins and drive it for me. They'd have to cook to my specs and dietary needs, though (which is why I don't just go out to restaurants during those times - they're so STUCK to their own menu! :wink: ).

But not all the time. I enjoy cooking most of the time and wouldn't want to give it up. I miss it when i don't cook after awhile.

Marcia.

Don't forget what happened to the man who suddenly got everything he wanted...he lived happily ever after. -- Willy Wonka

eGullet foodblog

I wouldn't. The thing I miss the most when we travel, is my kitchen. I'd miss cooking too much to hire a personal chef. Now a caterer for a large event? That's a whole nother story.

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

I would if I could do it the way Jeffrey Steingarten recently did - with Paul Liebrandt or a select few others as the chef. I like to cook, but I love to eat.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

In a red-hot minute, for 3 dinners a week.

Same here. Cook three meals, kick back for three meals, and take our Lear jet to a restaurant once a week (hey, you said that money was no object :wink: ). The hard part would be finding a personal chef that makes the kind of food that we like. Um, and learning to drive the Lear jet. :rolleyes:

I would rather delegate every other household chore, to free me up and let me focus on cooking all day.  That would be great.  Can I hire a private driver for the kid, general housekeeper, gardener, and personal assistant, instead?

Ditto. Cooking is fun and expression of creativity. The other chores well I would pan those off any day.

Depends on what you mean by "personal chef".

If "chef" means : highly trained and skilled (and commensurately paid) person, and

money was really no object, then I'd love to hire one for special occasions,

time to time, depending on mood, etc.

If OTOH, you mean someone with less skills and pay, to help

tackle the humdrum aspects of daily home cooking - then yes, yes and yes.

I'd love to have the kind of home help my mother had when we

were young. Someone who comes in every day, does

housework, does the bulk of the blah cooking (rolling chapatis,

cutting vegetables, etc.).

I wish I could afford such a person (pay them a decent wage to do this).

Milagai

absolutely. not every meal (i wouldn't want to eat every meal out either) but certainly have someone cook things i don't because of time or skill involved. i don't often cook things that require more than 45min to prepare - simply no time.

Alcohol is a misunderstood vitamin.

P.G. Wodehouse

As a former private chef(8 yrs), I most definitely would. But only lunch and dinners. One of the things about having a private chef is that they are always there, so some amount of privacy is lost. Might take some getting used to having a person other than family always in the kitchen, comming and going.

Edited by Timh (log)

Yeah, that would be my hesitation too, Tim. I've had friends that were private chefs and the situations were never quite as comfortable as one might wish, whether they lived in or not (depending on the season and the house, NY or Palm Beach).

And I know several people who could well afford to have a private chef who simply wouldn't have one of any sort (part-time, full-time, as cook or as chef) not because they like to cook so much but because they don't like the idea of having "servants", at all. Though somehow housecleaners or nannies go around or under this radar for some reason . . .

Miligai's post was interesting to think of, as the "someone to help cook" in the way she describes her mother having is (or was) a much more common thing in other cultures than the North American one.