• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chinese Seafood Hotpot

Shalmanese

Quite frequently when I go to a Chinese restaurant with my parents, they will order a seafood hot pot (hai xian huo guo) which is served in a clay vessel. It has white fish, shrimp, scallops, squid, tofu, greens, shittake mushrooms and possibly some other stuff in it as is served with a thick, pale sauce.

I want to recreate this dish at home, does anyone have a recipe for this that they like?

PS: I am a guy.

I don't really use a recipe for my sapo dishes, but it sounds like you're on your way to creating what you want. That thick, pale sauce is probably chicken broth thickened with a starch slurry (like cornstarch or potato flour). I like putting tung hoon in my sapos. I did measure stuff for the recipe I did for the eG cooking class, you can look at here, but it's for salted fish/tofu/chicken.

regards,

trillium

I don't really use a recipe for my sapo dishes, but it sounds like you're on your way to creating what you want. That thick, pale sauce is probably chicken broth thickened with a starch slurry (like cornstarch or potato flour). I like putting tung hoon in my sapos. I did measure stuff for the recipe I did for the eG cooking class, you can look at here, but it's for salted fish/tofu/chicken.

regards,

trillium

That doesn't look very much like it, sorry. If you click on this PDF, the item is no 1208 on the menu. Seafood & Bean Curd Hot Pot.

PS: I am a guy.

That doesn't look very much like it, sorry. If you click on this PDF, the item is no 1208 on the menu. Seafood & Bean Curd Hot Pot.

"Doesn't LOOK very much like it?" Shalmanese? The PDF file doesn't contain a picture. :biggrin:

I recognize all the dish names. Cantonese style in origin. Typically we use garlic/green-onion/ginger + salt to start, then add ShaoHsing wine, some brown bean paste perhaps, some oyster sauce, some dark soy sauce, along with some broth (chicken broth perhaps). The seafood (shrimp, scallop, squid, etc.) is typically cooked separately in a hot oil bath first. At the end, the seafood and fried tofu are tossed into the pot to mix with the sauce.

W.K. Leung ("Ah Leung") aka "hzrt8w"