• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Poulet Frites in Montreal?

Tom G

Do any of the finer bistros carry that classic french bistro dish?

Do any of the finer restaurants carry any sumptuous chicken dishes?

I read somewhere (maybe even on these boards) that the chickens in Quebec leave a lot to be desired...hence very few restaurants in Montreal serve chicken...

But i am (somewhat ashamedly) a chicken lover...

Any favorite dishes (beside the hole-in-the-wall rotisseries)?

I've eaten chicken throughout the world. Nowhere have I found the combination of both chicken and fries to be more enjoyable to me than at Chalet BBQ on Sherbrooke Street West. Their cole slaw is pretty good as well.

Not to disparage Chalet BBQ...

But any nicer spots?

For instance, does L'Express do a poulet frites?

At L'Express, you can order the chicken with fries instead of the veggies that usually come with it. Still, I was never a big fan of the sauce that gets dumped on top

Do any of the finer bistros carry that classic french bistro dish?

Do any of the finer restaurants carry any sumptuous chicken dishes?

I read somewhere (maybe even on these boards) that the chickens in Quebec leave a lot to be desired...hence very few restaurants in Montreal serve chicken...

But i am (somewhat ashamedly) a chicken lover...

Any favorite dishes (beside the hole-in-the-wall rotisseries)?

The best chicken I had in Montreal, in fact the best I had anywhere, was a roast chicken with vin jaune sauce at Joe Beef. As it was truffle season mine was roasted with black truffles whose flavour infused the flesh. Even sans truffles, I am sure it is delicious.

I've eaten chicken throughout the world. Nowhere have I found the combination of both chicken and fries to be more enjoyable to me than at Chalet BBQ on Sherbrooke Street West. Their cole slaw is pretty good as well.

Lady J and I tried Chalet BBQ the other night, and while it was enjoyable, to say it is the best I have ever had anywhere in the world would be exaggerating. I think Romados wins.

"Bells will ring, ting-a-ling-a-ling, ting.... the bell... bing... 'moray" -John Daker