• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pepsi Jazz

FabulousFoodBabe

So this person I'm afraid of (personal trainer) has a family connection to the new Diet Pepsi Jazz line of products. Said the Diet Caramel was to die for, amazing stuff, loved it, best new product around. I hate it, and I won't tell him because I am afraid he will hurt me (whine). He gave me a LOT of it. ::shudder::

I don't know if this is simply a local market item for now -- anyone else know of it? I keep thinking that if I make a smoothie with it, or freeze it and add whipped cream, it'll be palatable. Or maybe it's made for rum drinks? As someone else said, "Gah." Just my opinion, natch.

"Oh, tuna. Tuna, tuna, tuna." -Andy Bernard, The Office

Ugh, my condolences...the berry flavor Jazz tastes like floor cleaner, to me, I can only imagine what the caramel one is like. Let's hope it stays local.

Maybe get some vanilla ice cream and make it into a float? Try brining a ham in it? I'm sorry, I got nothin...caramel soda, though? *shudder*

FWIW, the Diet Pepsi Jazz is also widely available here in San Diego. The caramel flavor is okay, but I confess to an unholy fondness for the cherry-vanilla and strawberries-and-cream flavors. Then again, as someone who has been drinking diet sodas since early childhood, I also confess to a really warped palate with regards to these beverages. I also adore Diet Dr. Pepper, and the diet cherry colas (both Pepsi's and Coke's version). Something about that mix of fruit/caramel/cream/cola/god knows what-all else ... all artificial flavors, too, but they mask the artificial sweetener pretty effectively. I tend to refer to all these soft drinks collectively as "diet brown stuff." Yeah, I know it sounds pathetic. Told you my palate was warped (and probably my brain too). :rolleyes:

FFB, I'd be more than happy to take that Pepsi Jazz off your hands if you could figure out a cheap way to ship it to me. :biggrin:

Guess I'm not understanding why you wouldn't just pour it down the drain in the privacy of your own home? Why struggle to use up a product you hate so much? And for sure, if you're going to bother to eat whipped cream, which pretty much defeats the whole diet nature of the soda, then you might as well mix the whipped cream with something you love!

I was raised on diet soda too, but I can't get into the Jazz flavors. They leave this slimy-sweet aftertaste that I can't get over. I wanted to love them too, the concept is great, and the bottle looks good.

Ugh, my condolences...the berry flavor Jazz tastes like floor cleaner, to me, I can only imagine what the caramel one is like.  Let's hope it stays local.

And you know that, how? :wink:

FFB, I'd be more than happy to take that Pepsi Jazz off your hands if you could figure out a cheap way to ship it to me. biggrin.gif
Am I correct in thinking that since it's got no sugar, it won't explode with the shaking? If that's the case, MizD., I'll do it!
Guess I'm not understanding why you wouldn't just pour it down the drain in the privacy of your own home? Why struggle to use up a product you hate so much?
Well, what fun would that be? For me, I mean? :biggrin: I'd much rather sign on and whine about it. And like I said, I feel like this guy can take a look at me and know if I ate doughnuts over the weekend ...
And for sure, if you're going to bother to eat whipped cream, which pretty much defeats the whole diet nature of the soda, then you might as well mix the whipped cream with something you love!
Oh, does it? I had NO idea :raz: Silly! (Once I wrote a piece about how to make fat-free foods taste better. Caramel sauce and whipped cream figured in prominently. The reader outrage still rings clearly in my ears. :laugh::laugh::laugh: )

Ugh, my condolences...the berry flavor Jazz tastes like floor cleaner, to me, I can only imagine what the caramel one is like.  Let's hope it stays local.

And you know that, how? :wink:

I'm, uh, easily succeptible to dares? I was really poor in college? Hmm... :raz: I should have said "tastes like my floor cleaner smells".

I'm, uh, easily succeptible to dares?  I was really poor in college?  Hmm...  :raz: I should have said "tastes like my floor cleaner smells".

I like answer #1 best! :smile:

The caramel in this PJ is just too, too burnt for me. We put some over vanilla ice cream last night -- more to say, "ooh, this stuff is nasty alone, but makes an incredible ____," but, no go.

I'm going to try the floor-cleaner flavor next.

Fabby,

Glutton for punishment

I tried the strawberry & cream flavor - it's okay, but I have natural prejudice against Diet Pepsi in all of its forms, therefore the Jazz can't ever be a favorite.

On the caramel side of the discussion, I think a better option is to buy plain Diet Coke or Diet Dr. Pepper, and add a little sugar-free caramel syrup to it. Then you can control the caramel flavor.

For some unknown reason, I haven't bridged this process to the other diet flavors, so I still buy obsessive amounts of Diet Black Cherry Vanilla, Cherry Zero, Diet Cherry Vanilla Dr. Pepper, etc. instead of just buying different syrups and making my own. Maybe I need to get some sugar free cherry/strawberry/vanilla syrups and go to town.

...wine can of their wits the wise beguile, make the sage frolic, and the serious smile. --Alexander Pope

Flavored diet cokes have been missing from my stores shelves for over a month - is it a plot?? Anyway I was reduced to buying some pepsi jazz--do NOT like it so far. I tried the cherry vanilla last night, the flavor is too weird and the smell is not enticing! I still have a strawberry cream to try and I am not looking forward to it based on the cherry. I never was a pepsi drinker of any flavor with or without sugar and based on these, not destined to be one.