• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Making Lardo

I would like make my own Lardo, like I had in Liguria and Tuscany last year.

Also, I hear that Salumi Cured Meats in Seattle makes it but does't ship it. Who makes it?

I would like to give it a try. Are there any experience lardo makers that can help me?

I hear that Restorante Venanzio in Carrara actually marinates their meats in the Lardo brine before roasting, for amazing results.

Thank You Lardo lovers for your help!

I would like make my own Lardo, like I had in Liguria and Tuscany last year.

Also, I hear that Salumi Cured Meats in Seattle makes it but does't ship it. Who makes it?

I would like to give it a try. Are there any experience lardo makers that can help me?

I hear that Restorante Venanzio in Carrara actually marinates their meats in the Lardo brine before roasting, for amazing results.

Thank You Lardo lovers for your help!

I'm with you. I do have a source for fatback, going to try some lardo soon.

Jon

--formerly known as 6ppc--

There is quite a discussion buried deep in the charcuterie thread here. Just one post of many. If you get to any page of the thread, go to the bottom left hand corner, and put 'lardo' in the search topic box it will bring up all the references in the thread.

I've made some great lardo. basically it comes down to soaking the fatback for about 3 months in a 25-35% brine in which you made a "tea" of herbs, such as sage, rosemary, juniper, garlic etc.

It is relatively simple, but getting the right spicing/herbing/salting is tough.