• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Easter Ham

Bella S.F.

You might find some interesting ideas in this older topic on dealing with leftover ham. If I am stuck with it, I usually package it up in small amounts and freeze to be used when I need just a bit of smoked flavoring and there is nothing else around. As for stuffing, I can see it ground up in a stuffed cabbage dish.

I did a search and didn't find that thread heidih. Thank you for the link! :biggrin: Feel free to move this on over there. I found a good idea there to make a gratin. I'm thinking of using cauliflower instead of potato and lots and lots of sharp cheddar.

I will surely be freezing much of this in small portions and there will certainly be some kind of bean soup. I'm a little tired of split pea soup since I made a vat at Christmas and there's still more in the freezer. Has anyone used other beans?

Grace Piper, host of Fearless Cooking

www.fearlesscooking.tv

My eGullet Blog: What I ate for one week Nov. 2010

Subscribe to my 5 minute video podcast through iTunes, just search for Fearless Cooking

robirdstx LOL. Good idea. I think I'll go with navy beans.

Elsie Yes! Great idea stuffed chicken with ham and cheese. Brilliant.

Here's what is crazy, I now have 2 ham bones in the freezer. It is time!I'm in Brooklyn so there is now room for this. I need to have a Clean Out the Fridge and Freezer Party.

Grace Piper, host of Fearless Cooking

www.fearlesscooking.tv

My eGullet Blog: What I ate for one week Nov. 2010

Subscribe to my 5 minute video podcast through iTunes, just search for Fearless Cooking

I made my leftover ham into a frittata. I chopped up the ham, put it into a frying pan and sauteed it for a while with most of the Easter leftovers (broccoli, green peppers, stale rolls, some onions, I forget what else), poured a half dozen whisked eggs into the hot pan, and topped with some cheese. Into the oven for ~10 minutes till the eggs stopped jiggling. My family thought it was pretty yummy!

Look at the bright side... At least you are not stuck with 3 lbs of matzah... You get sick of this stuff rather quickly.

"Salt is born of the purest of parents: the sun and the sea." --Pythagoras.

Look at the bright side... At least you are not stuck with 3 lbs of matzah... You get sick of this stuff rather quickly.

What??? You can do the exact same thing with matzah! Put it in a frittata with some other yummy leftovers, and poof! dinner! Only then it gets a different name...

• 4 weeks later...
Any other leftover ideas are welcome!

If you simmer a ham bone until the meat and other stuff falls off, you can get a rich broth. My mother used to do this, picking out any little shreds of meat, straining out the rest, and then making a sort of polenta with the broth and meat. If you make this as a firm polenta, you can cool it, slice it, and fry it up for breakfast (like scrapple, but much better, IMO).

You don't even need a bone-- just a small chunk of ham cooked into submission and then used for polenta works just fine. I'll make a loaf pan full of this once or twice a year, slice it into chunks that are enough for one meal for myself (my wife didn't grow up on this stuff and doesn't really care for any sort of polenta), and freeze all but one chunk.

Dick

Dick in Northbrook, IL

An old fashioned, but delicious dish from my grandmother, alas, long gone from our lives.

Cook left over ham, especially if bone attached for three hours or longer in water in large pot. After one hour, pull off one cup of broth and add to three cups of all purpose flour, until ball forms. Roll this out onto floured counter. Cut the dough into long rectangles, and after the three hours, drop them into the broth and cook until done. Nothing much was ever said about times, you just have to watch and taste. The "dumplings" are thin though, so do not take long to cook. Serve with mashed potatoes, green vegetable, and pour some of the broth over the ham meat and dumplings and potatoes as a sauce/gravy. It is tasty, if fattening. BUT, you only have it every once in awhile. Enjoy....as this is ONE of those recipes that will die out someday. :sad:

I will surely be freezing much of this in small portions and there will certainly be some kind of bean soup. I'm a little tired of split pea soup since I made a vat at Christmas and there's still more in the freezer. Has anyone used other beans?

I put ham into fifteen bean soup and I like a little bit in minestrone.

I love ham and I will put it into anything. It's great in Picnic Pasta Salad, or mixed into scalloped potatoes. And you can't beat thinly sliced ham on a fluffy buttered biscuit...