• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Easter Ham

Bella S.F.

Made a wonderfully moist ham, full of flavor (brown sugar and Jack Daniels). Besides ham sandwiches what do you do with all of your leftovers? What kinds of soups? Pastas? ??????

Thanks!

"My only regret in life is that I did not drink more Champagne."

John Maynard Keynes

You're ham sounds like it was quite delicious Bella, I mean you can't go wrong with bourbon and brown sugar. :biggrin: There's so many wonderful things I like to make with ham leftovers. It's my favorite piece of meat since it can be used in so many ways. One favorite is bean soup, using one of the 15 bean soup mixtures. I use the beans but discard the seasoning packet that's normally included and add my own seasonings. I combine the ham bone with the beans (I never soak them BTW), onions and garlic and plenty of water. Then after simmering for about 2 1/2 hours or so, I add some diced ham and vegetables like carrots, potatoes, celery, etc. plus a can of Rotelle tomatoes. I like a good bowl of hot soup whether or not it's warm or cold outside.

Also, given how flavorful your ham is, have you considered making your own version of chicken cordon bleu adding the cheese of your choice? You might also try another favorite of mine, deviled ham, for sandwiches. I even like to render some of the ham fat for making hash browns.

Let us know what you come up with.

Inside me there is a thin woman screaming to get out, but I can usually keep the Bitch quiet: with CHOCOLATE!!!

Being French-Canadian, my typical answer would be split pea soup. Traditionally this is done with a ham bone and leftover bits of ham. I am sure you will find a few recipes using google... recipes varies from familly to familly.

Otherwise, I would suggest quiche or a ham pot pie. Or simply ham steaks to go with eggs for a sunday brunch (you can add a little maple sirup to the ham... its so good!).

You could also make a risotto or even add them to tamales or ravioli.

A tiny bit cooked with fresh peas and onions can also make a great accompaniement...

Cantonese fried rice is another good option.

Cubano sandwiches, panini, frittata, omelets, eggs benedict. In a creamy sauce, or minimally cooked tomato sauce for pasta. Straight out of the fridge (with the door open).

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

Ham salad.

A casserole with rice, broccoli and a thin bechamel.

Ham and scalloped potatoes.

The aforementioned bean soup.

Ham "meatballs" with Cumberland sauce.

Usually not a problem. If I've made raisin sauce, I can eat ham until it's gone.

Ruth Dondanville aka "ruthcooks"

“Are you making a statement, or are you making dinner?” Mario Batali

We had so few leftovers this year, tonight I'm gonna chop the scraps and throw them in a beer-cheese-potato soup type thing. That, or ham and cheese omelets, not sure yet.

Normally, when I have a bunch of leftover ham, I use Gourmet Cookbook's recipe for Deviled Ham. I omit the chutney, add a bit more butter, a glug of hot sauce, and a dollop of spicy mustard. It's great, and we fight over it for sandwiches for a week.

The bone always gets saved for bean soup.

I had a nice ham sandwich for lunch today with mayonnaise and horseradish; a nice combination.

I also like to a cold salad with chunks of ham, and blanched peas, broccoli and carrots.

I also always make up some Chinese fried rice as mentioned above and the bone definately goes to make some nice ham stock. This can be frozen and then unearthed when your're ready for ham again in the nice bean soups others mentioned. I'll often make stir fry wth bok choy and soy sauce and chicken stock and add ham and garlic to this; serve with rice.

Ham goes great at breakfast too-- in omelets or with biscuits.

This year b/c I have a lot of ham left over I think I'll make the unfortuntely named, perhaps for our modern ears, "potted ham". Mix about a cup of finely ground ham with 2 sieved hard boiled egg yolks, 4 Tbs butter and little powdered mustard. Seal with some clarified butter and this will extend the life of the ham for sandwiches or canape snacks for hors d'oeuvres later on.

I make a couple of recipes from one of my favorite cookbooks as well--Patricia Wells "Bistro Cooking". Cook some thin pasta liek capellini and drain. Toss with pieces of ham, black olives, lemon zest, black pepper, a little fresh thyme and olive oil and lemon juice. A nice room temperature dish.

She has another nice salad that I make as well: escarole or some other nice greens with ham, walnuts, shaving of Gruyere cheese and served with a vinaigrette. She make a creme fraich vinaigrette with Dijon mustar, red wine vinegar, lemon juice and walnut or olive oil...

She also has a nice recipe for Poulet or Chicken Basquaise. (chicken, ham, hot peppers, onion and tomatoes.

Edited by ludja (log)

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

Egg salad from the leftover colored eggs and HAM!!!!!!!

Macaroni & Cheese with said ham

Cauliflower soup with ham bits sprinkled on top

"You can't miss with a ham 'n' egger......"

Ervin D. Williams 9/1/1921 - 6/8/2004

When you haul out the frozen ham (I agree, it freezes just fine!) try an Amish Ham Loaf with raisin barbeque sauce. Chop the ham in a food processor, add egg, onion and breadcrumbs a la meatloaf, bake in a bread pan. Invert on an ovenproof plate and baste with a molasses/vinegar/raisin/mustard/ketchup sauce. Slide into the oven and bake until nicely browned. Leftover sauce can be heated and served on the side.

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

I was searching Epicurious for the same reason and made Ham and Horseradish stuffed eggs Super tasty. I shredded the ham with the fine side of a box grater to get it more to the consistency of the egg yolk. Add lots of horseradish - yumm.

Don't forget the monte cristo if no one has mentioned it upthread.

Lisa K

Lavender Sky

"No one wants black olives, sliced 2 years ago, on a sandwich, you savages!" - Jim Norton, referring to the Subway chain.

So many great ideas. Unfortunately, I haven't had a chance to make anything. I don't have much use of my right hand and arm for a while. I was putting something into the trunk of my car when the trunk lid came crashing down on me. I have the upper back pain and the tingling arm and hand. Of course, I am right -handed. I am now pecking with just my left hand, but chopping is out for a while. My husband is going to vacuum pack the ham bone with some meat attached for me, so that I will be able to make a pot of soup. I can't decide between bean soup and split pea soup. I also like the idea of the deviled eggs but am thinking of using the same ingredients to make an egg and ham salad.

My husband surprised me by making Jeffrey Steingarten's Gratin Dauphinois recipe to go along with some leftover ham sliced thinly. Oh, my goodness, I could have eaten the entire gratin by myself. Actually, I almost did. Surely the recipe must have been for just one person. I have been wanting to make that for a while, and just never got to it. It went wonderfully with the ham, although the potatoes didn't need anything other than maybe to have more of them.

I have a feeling that we will need to freeze most of what is left of the ham. Thanks to all of you who said that ham freezes well. I also realized that we have a jar of the "sauce" that the brown sugar, Jack Daniels, and some water made under the rack in the pan. It is rich and delicious. I have a lot and am not sure what to do with that either. I was thinking that some of it might be good in the soup. I am also trying to think of how I can use some of it with some pork . Maybe chops, maybe some pieces in the freezer that had come off of a rack of ribs.

Anyway, thanks for all of the suggestions. If anyone thinks of something else to do with a nice sized jar of rich drippings, please let me know.

"My only regret in life is that I did not drink more Champagne."

John Maynard Keynes

With the leftover sauce -- surely the husband can slow grill some ribs and baste them with the sauce? While grilling, perhaps toss on a wood chunck or two? All you need is some nice fatty spare ribs and a low and slow fire...

I use this for leftover tongue, but it works well with ham:

Remove most but not all of the fat. Put through a meat grinder with the medium or coarse plate. Mix with mayonnaise, lots of freshly ground ground black pepper and 10 times as much fresh, strong horseradish as you imagine possible.

Serve with substantial crackers, such as Triscuits.

No matter how much you make, your guests will gobble it up and beg for more.

• 11 months later...
I use this for leftover tongue, but it works well with ham:

Remove most but not all of the fat.  Put through a meat grinder with the medium or coarse plate.  Mix with mayonnaise, lots of freshly ground ground black pepper and 10 times as much fresh, strong horseradish as you imagine possible.

Serve with substantial crackers, such as Triscuits.

No matter how much you make, your guests will gobble it up and beg for more.

Thanks for this recipe, k43! I love ham and horseradish together so I look forward to trying this.

I'll be needing to use some of the ideas from this thread as we have quite a bit of leftover Easter ham this year...

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

Thanks for bumping this up, ludja.

11 of my guests bailed on me at the last minute, so it was 8 and an 18 pounder. I gave away a lot, but still have a lot. Still bloated from yesterday, it's a simple fried rice -- ham and scallions and fish sauce -- with leftover roasted asparagus on the side.

For freezing, I've had the best luck with cutting it into appropriately sized chunks, wrapping tightly in plastic wrap and sticking them into a zip lock.

Oh, and I'm going to save some of the ham in the freezer for the horseradish/cracker idea for a party I'm having next month!

^Hmmm... the ham and leek pie sounds like a great idea.

That also made me think of a ham quiche and Denver omelette for some reason.

I was thinking of making scalloped potatoes but then remembered a great bean gratin that I made a few months ago. So, I think I'll modify this bean gratin and add some ham to the mix... Alice Water's Bean Gratin I used dried garbanzo beans last time and I added some grated dry cheese to the bread crumb topping. I think stewed greens would be a nice side dish with this.

• 3 years later...

I have about 3lb of leftover spiral ham from Easter. Anyone have some unusual ways of using re-purposing it. I was considering chucking 1 lb in the food processer for deviled ham, but we don't like sandwiches.

Could it be stuffed into something else? Can you think of any vegetables that might complement ground ham? It's pretty sweet.

Any other leftover ideas are welcome!

Thanks

Grace

Grace Piper, host of Fearless Cooking

www.fearlesscooking.tv

My eGullet Blog: What I ate for one week Nov. 2010

Subscribe to my 5 minute video podcast through iTunes, just search for Fearless Cooking