• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

In the interests of Anglo-American food relations

For those who take a scientific approach to food preparation,

scientists in the UK

specifically at Leeds Univ.

have developed a formula for the perfect

Bacon "butty" -

For those of us on this side of "the Pond" this is a bacon sandwich

in its finest form.

Read and Enjoy!

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

They forgot the lettuce, tomato, and mayo. THAT'S the perfect bacon sandwich.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“A favorite dish in Kansas is creamed corn on a stick.”

-Jeff Harms, actor, comedian.

>Enjoying every bite, because I don't know any better...

That page had a link to an earlier story about the UK's best bacon butty:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/north_east/6150548.stm

I must admit that the notion of a bacon + bread sandwich seems unappetizing, no matter how good the bacon. However the UK's best seems to have more stuff on it - scroll to the image at the bottom of the page and the "red & brown sauce" reference.

Can someone explain exactly what is on this butty? Are those black olives or what? Thanks.

Thank God for tea! What would the world do without tea? How did it exist? I am glad I was not born before tea!

- Sydney Smith, English clergyman & essayist, 1771-1845

... the "red & brown sauce" ...  Are those black olives or  what?  Thanks.

I'm pretty sure that those 'olives' are dollops of 'brown sauce', which would be HP Sauce or some variant on that theme.

Bread & Butter, lots of good Bacon, you're done. Sauce optional.

Edited for punctuation.

Edited by DerekW (log)

They forgot the lettuce, tomato, and mayo. THAT'S the perfect bacon sandwich.

No, that's a BLT. If i've got a hangover I don't want salad. And especially not mayonnaise. I just want a bacon butty. They got it wrong though. It shouldn't be too crispy, crisp up the fat yes but the bacon needs a certain amount of floppiness.

Yo get this best by frying. Then dip the bread into the leftover bacon fat - no butter.

And brown sauce is essential.

And yes, I do think about this a lot.

Edited by Carlovski (log)

I love animals.

They are delicious.

No, not really. It's been a long time since I've had HP sauce but it was almost sweet. Like a smooth chutney, if that makes any sense.

In the Mid Atlantic area, Giant and Martin's carry HP sauce. I'm sure you can buy it online, too.

Edited by pax (log)
“Don't kid yourself, Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, he'd eat you and everyone you care about!”

These guys obviously haven't been hungover enough to understand that the perfect bacon butty must be made with fried bacon. Surprising really, seeing as they're students...

For me the route to the best bacon butty is to not compromise whatsoever on ingredients. Top bacon, top bread, good ketchup (or HP/Brown sauce if you're that way inclined) - tasty, excellent breakfast. And yes, with some lettuce and tomato it gets kicked up to a BLT if needed

Not to be confused with a Chip Butty, 'French Fried' potatoes between bread. Fried  starch, with added starch. Mmm. Or maybe not.:raz:

Actually, add a rasher or two, serve with a fried egg for dipping purposes and you've got a meal fit for a prince. A sausage elevates the sandwich to "fit for a king" standard.

Si

Oh hell, any bacon (including streaky), any white bread, any butter, and its good.

Improvements to all or any of the above can make it better, but its damn hard to make a bad one.

I love the precise cooking times and temps, without precise slice thickness.

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.

A bacon butty is a wonderful thing. The first time I had one, I was a little worried - in the states, we eat "streaky" bacon, and it sounded like it would be a BLT minus the L, T and mayo. But English bacon (much meatier), fried, is a perfect foil for the bread - and doesn't really need anything more. So good.